Author Topic: Lula vs. Nishikawa Avocado  (Read 4988 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Lula vs. Nishikawa Avocado
« on: November 10, 2019, 06:06:26 AM »
Currently have room for a 6th Avocado tree and am torn between Lula & Nishikawa.  Would welcome input as I have never had a Nishikawa before.  Thanks.  : )
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lula vs. Nishikawa Avocado
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »
Get in touch with me by PM I have Nishikawa ripening on the tree on Pine Island I would be happy to sell some. I just picked and am waiting for the first test fruit to ripen. Don't have Lula, never tried it.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
I have  LULA and its a beautiful tree. Nishikawa I don't have but it appears that the Nishi is a fast growing larger tree as supposed to a smaller variety tree like the LULA. Lula is definitely a heavy producer on my 1st year of planting it had about 10 fruits but I removed them because it was a young tree and I wanted to focus on getting the tree to establish and grow. Others who have had Lula say that the fruit is great with a large seed but plenty of avocados. I am looking forward to trying at least one or two of them next year and letting the Lula tree go in to full fruiting mode in 2021. Also not sure if this matters but I have planted several avocados and the Lula is the only one that has been care free with little maintenance or pest issues.  :)
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »
I've never tasted Nishikawa.  I think Lula is pretty good tasting, especially for a Florida avocado, better than Simmonds or Choquette as a point of comparison.  (But I like those two also.)  I'd give it 8 out of 10 points if properly ripened.  It has a sweet flavor, which is a little unusual.
John

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »
I have a large Nishikawa growing on Marco island near Naples, and a large segment of a brogdon top worked into Nishikawa.  I cannot overstate how well this tree has done and how incredibly delicious the fruit are.  It bears heavily - 3x my brogdon.  The taste is almost as creamy as hass but with more nutty flavor.  My two daughters love them so much that they ask for them for breakfast by name.  I cannot believe this variety is not getting more hype in south Florida.  It’s exceptional.  I have Monroe, Day, Simmons, Brogdon, and Nishikawa.
-Brett

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
Why not just buy whichever tree is more vigorous and use that to graft some of the other type onto.  Theres no reason to just choose one or the other.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
I have a large Nishikawa growing on Marco island near Naples, and a large segment of a brogdon top worked into Nishikawa.  I cannot overstate how well this tree has done and how incredibly delicious the fruit are.  It bears heavily - 3x my brogdon.  The taste is almost as creamy as hass but with more nutty flavor.  My two daughters love them so much that they ask for them for breakfast by name.  I cannot believe this variety is not getting more hype in south Florida.  It’s exceptional.  I have Monroe, Day, Simmons, Brogdon, and Nishikawa.
Nice, thanks!
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »

I've heard that Nishkawa can get so rich it can take on a pasty texture.  I got one from Top Tropicals years ago but like many customers' luck I lost it.  They butchered the root system beyond repair to ship it.

What do you think of Brogdon?  I didn't care for it compared to SoCal varieties and top worked it.  It now hosts GEM.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
I have nishikawa on a multigrafted tree. It has taken over and is easily the dominant branch. It is a monster outgrowing even my older trees. Waiting on flowers. It was grafted in summer of 2018 (yes, my only successful summer graft). It has survived and shrugged off 100 plus degree heat.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
I have nishikawa on a multigrafted tree. It has taken over and is easily the dominant branch. It is a monster outgrowing even my older trees. Waiting on flowers. It was grafted in summer of 2018 (yes, my only successful summer graft). It has survived and shrugged off 100 plus degree heat.

Yep, heard that Nishi is super vigorous.  Probably best that I lost that one.  I don't have cooling in my greenhouse now. Quit running the swamp coolers. Several times the temp has gone to 112F and most summer days it's over 100F especially in the super hot, droughty July we had here.   Avocados and mangos laugh it off, citrus don't like it although they are loaded. 

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
To igrowmangos can you ship me some Lula seeds ? or can anyone in florida ship me lula seeds for rootstock just lwt me know on cost.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
Does Nishikawa grow in cali? Anyone in cal try some trees yet ?

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
Does Nishikawa grow in cali? Anyone in cal try some trees yet ?

It is a favorite Hawaiian variety I would presume it would do well in CA.  It is one of the few Hawaiian varieties that seems to do relatively well in Florida.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »
Thing is bullet proof but I am in Hawaii so not sure about cold temperatures. We planted an assortment and Nishikawa is by far doing the best and handled wind well. Also took over my multi graft tree but Green Gold is in the competition.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
If anyone has Nishikawa scions to sell let me know i want to add it to see how it does.

BBF

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 10:15:05 PM »
Hello all the Lula avocado lovers: Please let me know if you can send some of the seeds after you have eaten the fruit. I need ~20 seeds to start as rootstock, and I will be happy to pay the S&H costs.
Many thanks-

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:01:22 PM »
Hello all the Lula avocado lovers: Please let me know if you can send some of the seeds after you have eaten the fruit. I need ~20 seeds to start as rootstock, and I will be happy to pay the S&H costs.
Many thanks-

HEB on West Alabama Street has lula avocados for sale from the valley.  Go get them there.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »
Many thanks-

HEB on West Alabama Street has lula avocados for sale from the valley.  Go get them there.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
Many thanks-

Best rootstock I have found is Slimcados from Florida.  I've grafted onto a lot of dffierent rootstocks but nothing grows as fast and takes scions as well as those.

Lula is a popular rootstock here in Texas.  Don't care much for the fruit.

Gonna have some delish Reeds come summer/fall.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »
Best rootstock I have found is Slimcados from Florida.  I've grafted onto a lot of dffierent rootstocks but nothing grows as fast and takes scions as well as those.

Is SlimCado a specific variety of avocado, grown by Brooks Tropicals in Homestead/Redland area of Miami-Dade County?  It must have another original name.  I see it on their website.  So it's not just any West Indian type avocado grown in Florida?
John

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »

Is SlimCado a specific variety of avocado, grown by Brooks Tropicals in Homestead/Redland area of Miami-Dade County?  It must have another original name.  I see it on their website.  So it's not just any West Indian type avocado grown in Florida?

Slimcado is just Brooks' marketing for whatever WI is in season. The late ones are better eating varieties like Lula and Monroe. The early ones are early picked Arue and Donnie.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/FloridaAvocadoShippingSchedule.pdf
-Josh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »

Slimcado is just Brooks' marketing for whatever WI is in season. The late ones are better eating varieties like Lula and Monroe. The early ones are early picked Arue and Donnie.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/FloridaAvocadoShippingSchedule.pdf
Thanks.  That's what I had thought, but their website and the information Mark gave us seemed to confuse the issue.
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »

It's slang for the W. Indies hybrids, low oil.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »

It's slang for the W. Indies hybrids, low oil.
Gotcha.  Thanks.
John