Author Topic: mangosteen germination  (Read 1179 times)

dingaling

• Far Northern Australia zone 12B
    • View Profile
mangosteen germination
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
Gday,

I am lucky enough to work in an area that has plenty of Purple Mangosteen fruit available. Supporting the local people in their small market I have in the past ordered 20kg of mangosteen and eaten them all in a matter of a week or so. I was collecting the seeds to take back to Oz to plant in our garden. This I have done with no issues from customs at the airport as long as they are declared and clean I haven't had any problems. The only issue is that they are normally sprouted quite long by the time I get home and I think this might weaken the seedling but I am not 100% sure about this. Anyhow back to the story, last trip in to work I purchased 6kgs of fruit in Vientiane and ate them upon arrival to site 5 hrs later. I put the seeds in some 2nd hand vermiculite that I had in the cupboard from where I had brought some Z4 abiu seed over for the lads here at work who are mostly slash and burn type rice farmers. I put the seeds back into the cupboard and completely forgot about them. I worked for my roster of 4 weeks and then went on break for 2 weeks back to Oz. When I got back to site next time I found the seeds in the cupboard and they were still alive. See attached pics. The shoots were very long but they were still very much alive. Tough these little buggers!

I have found that I don't have any issues with mould because we clean the seeds properly as we are eating the fruit. Because we have had so many fruit I have been very rough with the seeds and found that sort of chewing the skin off the seed once the fruit has been eaten off it works the best and you can get quite rough. Sometimes the seed will crack in half but if the complete skin is not removed we have trouble with mould. Take all the brown skin off if possible and just leave the creamy colour seed, put it in a clip lock bag with just a touch of moisture in there and away you go. With this method we have been getting around 90% and more germination of the seeds with no mould issues.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:37:14 PM by dingaling »

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: mangosteen germination
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
Nice work!
I also made a thread of mangosteen seeds germination.
In my area mangosteens are rare in supermarkets, and their seeds are never sprouting: all I did was to buy some seeds on ebay.
Is it a good idea planting them directy in a pot instead of wrapping them in paper towels?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
Mangosteen seeds can be planted directly in a pot.  We don't even clean them.  Mould isn't always a problem.  Some seedlings can experience damping off but probably most seeds easily deal with mold.
Peter

dingaling

• Far Northern Australia zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:12:36 AM »
I am no expert on this but we get well over 90% germination by leaving the seeds in a plastic bag to germinate them plant them out into pots.

Peter the mould is normally only an issue when the seeds are in postage / transit. If they are not cleaned correctly the seeds turn into a ball of mould after being 2 or 3 weeks in a damp dark environment.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »
You will not have mould problem, if the seeds are packed/germinated in vermiculite

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk