Author Topic: Aphids destroying my Citrus  (Read 2810 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Aphids destroying my Citrus
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
I grafted and got nearly 100% success on my mandarin cocktail tree, however the new growth is getting all curled up with aphids all over it, green and black colored. Last time I used neem oil and lost branches (probably overdose), I dont want to use need oil in hot So Cal Sun.

what are other recommendations to get rid of aphids?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Aphids destroying my Citrus
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
Hands is the best insecticide, after the initial gross you won't mind anymore except for the finger becoming green(or black, depends on the aphids :D).
I had the same results with neem oil, not much instruction on how to use it online.
You must use a drop or two per liter and add some dish soap that should make some chemical reaction(probably help break it apart), not super effective however.
Another eco friendly way is to spray them with a strong water jet to remove them, they will return in a few days but after the leaves are bigger they won't eat it anymore or do less damage at least.

On a side note, a lot of aphids could also mean the plant is not happy.
My sister had a big kumquat tree in pot that had tons of aphids and mealy bugs, I was tired of seeing it in such a poor state that I decided to put it in the ground where it would have needed less cure(it was practically abandoned) and there was a lot of mold in the end of the pot, probably due to poor drainage. Never saw any parasite since then.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
tree was thriving, as soon as new growth kicked in these suckers showed up. I might try insecticidal soap. any recommendations?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:22:58 PM »
I do soapy water spray. Of course it's the ants that are likely responsible for placing the aphids there, so some tanglefoot or other ant control may be needed. Then, the natural predators can take out the aphids pretty easily.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
I do see lady bugs here or there and I move them from plant to plant, but there is so much lad bug could do as they are not in vast quantity. I will spray with soap water and wash them off.

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »
Buy some lady bugs, they really do chew through the aphids once you get a decent colony going. I have heard praying mantis are even better but have yet to try them. A container of lady bugs each spring knock down the aphids on my 20+ in ground citrus trees.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
I grafted and got nearly 100% success on my mandarin cocktail tree, however the new growth is getting all curled up with aphids all over it, green and black colored. Last time I used neem oil and lost branches (probably overdose), I dont want to use need oil in hot So Cal Sun.

what are other recommendations to get rid of aphids?
Never spray citrus during heat of the day.  Neem, or any other spray, insecticidal soap included, should only be sprayed in the evening during the summer to prevent the damage you experienced.
I have no problem spraying neem on my trees here on the upper Gulf Coast of Texas where we get mid to upper 90's during the day. Just spay a bit before sundown.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
I did it in evening in much colder temps when nights were below 50 and day was around 80. problem might have been too strong mix. the leaves were shiny and then dropped.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
My favorite insecticide for citrus is Horticultural oil (HO).  I use a product called Ultra Pure Horticultural oil. HO is extremely safe to humans and animals, even OK for organic gardeners.  HO controls aphids, thrips, white fly, scale, mites and mealy bugs.   I use it at the rate of 2-fluid ounces/gallon of water.   . 

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
Millet, why don't you use neem? Do you add an emulsifier to the HO?

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Safer insect killing soap works for me, the only bugs that needed a second application to kill were some red rose aphids and as far as I could tell it hasn't hurt any of my plants

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
Take a look at the trunk of the tree.  Is there a line of ants?  Most likely.  They farm aphids for their excriment.  You need to get rid of the ants or aphids will just come back.  Neem works fine if you get rid of thr ants first.  You can use flagging tape and tanglefoot.
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
Vlad, I've never purchased an ounce of neem in my entire life.  I have never had a single failure using HO.  As to your question, I use a surfactant on every thing I spray.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
Potassium oleate or any potassium soap at 1%, they will die overnight. Spray the soap in the evening then in morning wash the plant with plenty of water. The soap in full sun will burn all the new leaves.
Neem oil at 1% is effective, however it sticks to the leaves and in full strong sun new foliage gets easily burnt.