Author Topic: Figs  (Read 3220 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Figs
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:27 AM »
If you are doing just a few pieces then wrapping in parafilm, or similar tape, works best. If you are sending a lot of scion wood that ienndividual wrapping gets to be too time consuming. I put all the pieces together in a zip lock bag add a little bit of fine grade vermiculite, moisten slightly with a few drops of water, wrap tightly and hold it together tightly with some rubber bands. I don't dip in fungicide. Haven't found that to be necessary. If you aren't mailing the scion wood right away then make sure to store it in a cool dark place. i use produce bins of the fridge. Make sure not to freeze or expose to high temperatures, either in storage or in mail transit. So don't mail them in extreme heat or cold weather.

I can tell you're not using to posting fig cuttings, which makes sense because there's no way they'd fruit in the tropics I suppose. If you ever come across one that does, you will have hit gold.

Fig cuttings are very susceptible to fungal infections and molds. They really do need treatment in order to stop this developing, especally on long journeys.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Figs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »
If you are doing just a few pieces then wrapping in parafilm, or similar tape, works best. If you are sending a lot of scion wood that ienndividual wrapping gets to be too time consuming. I put all the pieces together in a zip lock bag add a little bit of fine grade vermiculite, moisten slightly with a few drops of water, wrap tightly and hold it together tightly with some rubber bands. I don't dip in fungicide. Haven't found that to be necessary. If you aren't mailing the scion wood right away then make sure to store it in a cool dark place. i use produce bins of the fridge. Make sure not to freeze or expose to high temperatures, either in storage or in mail transit. So don't mail them in extreme heat or cold weather.

I can tell you're not using to posting fig cuttings, which makes sense because there's no way they'd fruit in the tropics I suppose. If you ever come across one that does, you will have hit gold.

Fig cuttings are very susceptible to fungal infections and molds. They really do need treatment in order to stop this developing, especally on long journeys.

The questions were about longan, sapodilla, and mango. Not about figs.
Also, you may not realize it, but cuttings are very different than scions. Figs can be easily rooted from cuttings, but mango, longan, and sapodilla can't. Scions are for grafting, not for rooting.
Yes figs do grow and fruit here. They do better, and taste better, on dry side of island.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:53:10 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:36 AM »

Also, you may not realize it, but cuttings are very different than scions. Figs can be easily rooted from cuttings, but mango, longan, and sapodilla can't. Scions are for grafting, not for rooting.
Yes figs do grow and fruit here. They do better, and taste better, on dry side of island.

Are they all brown turkey? This is the only fig I've heard of that does well in humidity.

Unfortunately, all the best figs are temperate varieties. Violette de bordeaux etc. This doesn't do well for me even in the subs--still too much moisture around.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:17:04 AM »

Are they all brown turkey? This is the only fig I've heard of that does well in humidity.

Unfortunately, all the best figs are temperate varieties. Violette de bordeaux etc. This doesn't do well for me even in the subs--still too much moisture around.

I experimented growing about 1/2 a dozen fig varieties, including Brown Turkey. They all fruited fine, but didn't develop much sweetness due to our rainy climate.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
Brown turkey is best in Cairns but 2 others go ok and the wet season knocks them around and you need the right soil.
I have posted bud wood much in the style outlined by Oscar.I find clipping the top and trimming the leaves a few days ahead and snipping the wood off in the early morning helps.I soak the wood in water for a few hours before packing.There have been survivors 5 weeks later.
I have no done it many times.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »
Brown turkey is best in Cairns but 2 others go ok and the wet season knocks them around and you need the right soil.
I have posted bud wood much in the style outlined by Oscar.I find clipping the top and trimming the leaves a few days ahead and snipping the wood off in the early morning helps.I soak the wood in water for a few hours before packing.There have been survivors 5 weeks later.

Your soil is probably too good for them--probably too moist and rich in nutrients.

Every time I've since a fig thriving and producing abundantly, it's been in the crappiest most lifeless looking soil imaginable. In Greece, which is the motherland of figs and produces the best quality  fruits in the world, they grow in rocky, sandy clay. Although the dry heat in that location is ideal for them too.

I only grow one variety now, which is vasilika Mavra--The Royal Black Fig of Greece. Probably one of only two in Australia, it s an extremely old variety with a rich History and at a time was once so highly prized that it was banned from export. I'm trying to make it work but yeah--it's not a fan of the humid subtropics. Here's a pic of the fruit:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:40:48 AM by starling1 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »

Your soil is probably too good for them--probably too moist and rich in nutrients.

Every time I've since a fig thriving and producing abundantly, it's been in the crappiest most lifeless looking soil imaginable. In Greece, which is the motherland of figs and produces the best quality  fruits in the world, they grow in rocky, sandy clay. Although the dry heat in that location is ideal for them too.

I only grow one variety now, which is vasilika Mavra--The Royal Black Fig of Greece. Probably one of only two in Australia, it s an extremely old variety with a rich History and at a time was once so highly prized that it was banned from export. I'm trying to make it work but yeah--it's not a fan of the humid subtropics. Here's a pic of the fruit:

No, it has nothing to do with our soil being too good. Our soil is just really a bunch of lava rocks where i live. I wouldn't call that too good.  :o Like i said before, the problem is too high a rainfall, and as a result too much cloud cover.
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »

No, it has nothing to do with our soil being too good. Our soil is just really a bunch of lava rocks where i live. I wouldn't call that too good.  :o Like i said before, the problem is too high a rainfall, and as a result too much cloud cover.

Yes, uneven rainfall is a big problem here too, as is fig beetle. You will always struggle to grow figs under the conditions you've outlined and will be battling mildew and leaf fungi in particular. I keep the mavra in a pot out of the elements now, it's the best I can do for it.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
My figs are doing okay. Fig leaf beetle are ever present, but they are fairly easily dealt with in the early mornings with a bucket of soapy hot water. The only one that really didn't do well for me was brown turkey and black Genoa. White Genoa, williams no 5, cape white, conadria, etc all did quite well. Conadria had 3 crops. Preston's prolific is a beast but doesn't fruit for me. The one tree I did lose to fig nettle was the picone green. They ate the entire thing, chomping right through old wood.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
I'm not sure what this thread is about, but I am surprised to hear anyone say that figs don't do well in the tropics. I have 3 brown turkey figs, and they seem perfectly happy. I knew nothing about figs before this, but I bought Brown Turkey simply because they were at a local nursery, looked healthy, and were cheap, so I thought I'd give it a shot. They are still very tiny, but have been producing fruit since I planted them with no issue. The fruit is among the most intoxicating and sweet fruits I have ever eaten - I didn't know figs could be like that, as I had never had one right off the plant before this! It tastes like strawberries and pineapple and passionfruit and a whole host of other tropical flavors I can't put my finger on, and they're very juicy... it's hard to get one to ripen without a critter around here getting to it first, so I have started bagging just to make sure I get one. I did not amend the soil at all here, which is coral with very high PH, but if there are troubles I will amend in future. So far, there seems to be no need. I don't give them much additional water either - we have a severe dry season and a pretty intense wet season, so during the dry I give them some water maybe once a week to keep them going. It is humid all the time here, even through most of the dry season. I definitely encourage anyone who has similar conditions to mine to try growing figs, as so far it has been an easy and rewarding endeavor as long as they have full sun!

(I have no idea of course if in future they will be susceptible to disease, but so far, I have had them a year and they have barely grown at all - despite so many people warning me they would get huge - and I have seen no problems, they look healthy.)

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Mission figs grow well here on Big Pine in the keys, I know were a huge one is and the fruit are bigger than a golf ball and sweet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk