Author Topic: Dragon Fruit varieties growth habits?  (Read 4522 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit varieties growth habits?
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
Thanks in part to the generosity of forum members, I have gathered several cuttings that I plan on planting along two trellises.  With the exception of Vietnam White and Natural Mystic, these varieties were chosen because they were top  rated by taste tests or by reviewers who were experienced with dragon fruit varieties. 

I'm looking for advice on the growth habits (slow vs vigorous) of the following varieties, so that I can decide which varieties get placed together for the best balance of growth on each trellis. 

All I have heard is that Physical Graffiti is more aggressive in growth. 

1. Condor
2. Cebra/Lisa/Rosa
3. American Beauty/Bien Hoa Red
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Vietnam White x 2 cuttings (one at each trellis, for cross pollination and for pollen availability)
6. Natural Mystic  (chosen because of its high productivity)
7. Delight

Thanks.

Brad

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:05:00 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit varieties growth habits?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
It has been my (limited) experience that Lisa is slower in growth.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
Thanks Ric!
Brad

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »
Condor is pretty fast.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:53 AM »
Thanks Starling!

By the way, I have seen a few local pictures of people growing dragon fruit and I'm seeing that more often than not, they are being planted in large containers at the bases of trellises. 

What are the advantages to planting them in a container vs in ground?  Is it to protect the bases of the cuttings from being knocked out of place mistakenly?  Is it to control the growth to a specific area so that it does not end up spreading out over the ground?  Is it to provide better quality soil than our sandy native soil?

Brad
Brad

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »
Thanks Starling!

By the way, I have seen a few local pictures of people growing dragon fruit and I'm seeing that more often than not, they are being planted in large containers at the bases of trellises. 

What are the advantages to planting them in a container vs in ground?  Is it to protect the bases of the cuttings from being knocked out of place mistakenly?  Is it to control the growth to a specific area so that it does not end up spreading out over the ground?  Is it to provide better quality soil than our sandy native soil?

Brad

I also read that we should grow them in a pot half full of soil but my neighbour told me that if i grow them in full soil i get much more fruit. Farmers here also grow them in full soil.

And do we have to grow them to about 2 metre before they start hanging? Is that for all dragonfruit variety's the same?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
Brad

The advantage to planting in a container depends.  Gophers and/or bad soil are two reasons.  At the UC research trials, they plant Dragon Fruit in the ground.

I made the mistake of burying the containers half way in the soil.  A nearby tree's roots found the pot.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
What's going on with all this shade cloth buisness? Why do we need to grow the plants in partial shade? I thought full sun was better for the fruit?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
What's going on with all this shade cloth buisness? Why do we need to grow the plants in partial shade? I thought full sun was better for the fruit?

One of the reason they covered the Dragon Fruit plants at the UC Irvine first test trial was to protect the fruit from birds.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »
Brad

The advantage to planting in a container depends.  Gophers and/or bad soil are two reasons.  At the UC research trials, they plant Dragon Fruit in the ground.

I made the mistake of burying the containers half way in the soil.  A nearby tree's roots found the pot.

We don't have gophers here and if we did they would end up on a dinnerplate ;D. There are many websites who give growing info for specific locations. The problem is that growers (like me) think the info is general info for the plant they are growing. I never thought about location-related problems.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »

I should have added that I have never heard that people planted DF in containers to protect the bases of the cuttings from being knocked out of place mistakenly or to control the growth to a specific area so that it does not end up spreading out over the ground

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »
Thanks in part to the generosity of forum members, I have gathered several cuttings that I plan on planting along two trellises.  With the exception of Vietnam White and Natural Mystic, these varieties were chosen because they were top  rated by taste tests or by reviewers who were experienced with dragon fruit varieties. 

I'm looking for advice on the growth habits (slow vs vigorous) of the following varieties, so that I can decide which varieties get placed together for the best balance of growth on each trellis. 

All I have heard is that Physical Graffiti is more aggressive in growth. 

1. Condor
2. Cebra/Lisa/Rosa
3. American Beauty/Bien Hoa Red
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Vietnam White x 2 cuttings (one at each trellis, for cross pollination and for pollen availability)
6. Natural Mystic  (chosen because of its high productivity)
7. Delight

Thanks.

Brad

Brad,

In my location, this has been my experience with those cultivars

1. Condor- Roots quickly and is a very rapid grower
2. Cebra/Lisa/Rosa - these take a while to root, but once they get established they grow quite quickly (Cebra seems to like to put out a lot of growth from the base of the plant and is harder to train)
3. American Beauty/Bien Hoa Red - strong growers and hardy.  Snails really seem to like these two and cause a lot of damage to the new growth.
4. Physical Graffiti - for me this is the slowest grower in the bunch.
5. Vietnam White x 2 cuttings (one at each trellis, for cross pollination and for pollen availability) - grows like a weed, I have a hard time keeping it under control.
6. Natural Mystic  (chosen because of its high productivity) - average vigor.
7. Delight- Also a very vigorous plant, maybe a bit more so than AB/BHR

That said, Remember I am in CA, and all of these will probably grow much faster for you in FL than they do for me.

Richard

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »
Thanks Richard, I appreciate the info.   This will help me to balance out the varieties that I plant on each trellis.

Brad
Brad

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk