Author Topic: Indian Condo Mango Varieties?  (Read 4615 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Indian Condo Mango Varieties?
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Hello all. I have decided on getting a pickering before I get any other mango, but i want to be informed for when the real bug kicks in.  :D

What condo mangoes (anything that an be managed in a pot) have a real, indian mango flavor? Im talking in your face, im a mango and i know it flavor. no coconut or citrus wannabes.

The description for Alampur Baneshan on PIN seems good, but is it really a condo mango? they have lanciletta listed, and i have heard that it is very vigourus.

So lets have it! What varieties Do you know?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Condo Mango Varieties?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
Plant,
Alampur Baneshan is a very fragrant and spice mango.  I would say that it is a mango for people that like full flavored unusual mangoes. The skin remains mostly green when mature, and the flesh is kind of pale.  However, the flesh packs a good punch of smells and flavors.
My tree is over ten (10) years old and is planted in the ground.  It stands approx. eigth (8) feet tall. 
Here is the negative report about this variety! The fruit has a tendency to split and crack.  Maybe you can control the amount of moisture and resolve the splitting  and cracking issue, by growing them in a large pot.
By the way, this mango variety is a very slow grower, and I would recommend it if you don't' mind the fruit splitting.  You may find this fruit for sale at Fruitscapes in Fort Myers.  Call Steve Cucura and maybe he can help you (239) 462-2341.  Please don't tell Steve I referred you.  He may hang up the phone.....hahahahahahahahahahaha

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
I forgot to mention!  Stay away from Lancetilla!
In my opinion, I would not waist time and energy growing "Lancetilla".

Mallika is not a "condo" mango.  However, It can be kept small with periodic tip pruning and annual over all pruning.  Mallika is a nice flavored dessert mango, in my opinion. 
Rosigold is also an excellent choice for container culture.  My tree is kept at eight (8) feet tall with yearly pruning.
Rosigold flavor is not as strong as an Alampur Baneshan, but I can live with it.  Another good characteristic of Rosigold is that it is one of the earliest mangoes here in SW Florida.
I heard that "Angie" may also work for container culture. The problem is to get a hold of an "Angie" tree.
Talk with Steve Cucura about your situation (239) 462-2341.  He may recommend a couple different varieties that will fulfill your expectations!
Good Luck to you!

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
Mallika is not a "condo" mango.  However, It can be kept small with periodic tip pruning and annual over all pruning.  Mallika is a nice flavored dessert mango, in my opinion. 

SO basically i should not trust the variety viewers.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
I have a Mallika (2yr in ground) and I won't consider it a "condo" type of mango tree. It's about 7ft tall already with seasonal tipping compared to my 7-8 yr old Julie thats only 8 ft tall without any pruning. Then again, almost any mango cv next to Julie won't be considered dwarf. I'd propose Neelam as a slow growing mango tree. Mine remains relatively compact and grows oh....so....slow. The mango it self is also very nice.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

Yup. Don't trust it. Mallika grows pretty quickly. A tree I planted in 07 is around 12-15ft tall now, with pruning. I have to prune it again soon in the next few weeks since all the fruit has been harvested.

Also, I think you should try some of the FL cultivars before you knock them. Using the term "real indian mango flavor" isn't really all that helpful since there are many different flavor profiles for Indian mangos. Some of the citrus and coconut "wannabes" are excellent mangos and you may like them more than any Indian mango.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

Yup. Don't trust it. Mallika grows pretty quickly. A tree I planted in 07 is around 12-15ft tall now, with pruning. I have to prune it again soon in the next few weeks since all the fruit has been harvested.

Also, I think you should try some of the FL cultivars before you knock them. Using the term "real indian mango flavor" isn't really all that helpful since there are many different flavor profiles for Indian mangos. Some of the citrus and coconut "wannabes" are excellent mangos and you may like them more than any Indian mango.

OH yeah, i know. THose are next  ;D

By "real indian flavor" i mean sweet, with minimal acidity, strong flavor, complex. Alampur baneshan seems to be my number one choiceat the moment.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
Alampur Baneshan produces reasonably well in Florida for an Indian mango but definitely has horrible issues with splitting. Its probably worse than NDM #4 in that regard actually.

Like Murahilin alluded to, there are plenty of good Florida mangos that fit the mold you are looking for and won't split like Alampur Baneshan. Maybe it will perform better in container culture though. But as far as "Condo mangoes", you are going to be fairly limited.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
Alampur Baneshan produces reasonably well in Florida for an Indian mango but definitely has horrible issues with splitting. Its probably worse than NDM #4 in that regard actually.

Like Murahilin alluded to, there are plenty of good Florida mangos that fit the mold you are looking for and won't split like Alampur Baneshan. Maybe it will perform better in container culture though. But as far as "Condo mangoes", you are going to be fairly limited.

I've always wondered, what would happen if i grafted my own mango, but interstocked with pickering? WOuld it dwarf a tree? i have read that interstocking can make trees smaller, and especialy with a pickering mango, well, ya know?