Author Topic: whats wrong with my tangelo?  (Read 1505 times)

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
whats wrong with my tangelo?
« on: August 19, 2020, 01:51:21 AM »
Hello, i planted this tangelo in a sunny location and after some months it looks like this

Appart from leaf miner, is it intence sun and heat that causes the leaves to turn yellow or something else?
I have it on the same watering program with my white sapotes and avocadoes that are doing really well.
Should i do something or will it get better with time?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: whats wrong with my tangelo?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »
What is the fertilizer program that you are providing for this tree?  A newly  planted citrus tree should be fertilized 6 times during the first year, equally spaced apart. 5-times during year two, 4 times during year 3 and 3 times per year thereafter. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:15:02 PM by Millet »

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
What is he fertilizer program that you are providing for this tree?  A newly  planted citrus tree should be fertilized 6 times during the first year, equally spaced apart. 5-times during year two, 4 times during year 3 and 3 times per year thereafter.

It is planted in a mix of soil and manure and i have only once last month added nitrogen (thinking that the original manure was enough)
Should i apply again now?

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:35:28 PM »
From me reading the previous posts, I would say much more fertilizer. It needs full sun.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:36 PM »
Fertilize the tree with a fertilizer formula higher in nitrogen and potassium and lower in phosphorous that also has all the trace minerals.  After planting a citrus tree, the only thing to refill the hole with, is the dirt taken out while digging  Do not add any other ingredients..  Actually looking at the picture it looks like the tree is planed in a hole.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Fertilize the tree with a fertilizer formula higher in nitrogen and potassium and lower in phosphorous that also has all the trace minerals.  After planting a citrus tree, the only thing to refill the hole with, is the dirt taken out while digging  Do not add any other ingredients..  Actually looking at the picture it looks like the tree is planed in a hole.

Yes it is planted in a hole because it is on a steep slope and it is the only way to hold some water when watering. I know i doesnt look steep from the pic and of course there is no standing water.
I mixed the soil that i took out but also put some manure to help it a little. (the white sapote is planted the same way next to it is doing great)
Thank you for the advice, i will follow it!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 05:55:56 PM »
Looks like dense soil with a high clay content and the tree is in a bit of a hole. If so did you loosen the area around it? When you plant trees flush or proud or with a shelter does the same the same thing happen? Most fruit trees are not fans of puddles/wells and if fertiliser is accumulating in a ring around the stem it isn't ideal also.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
Looks like dense soil with a high clay content and the tree is in a bit of a hole. If so did you loosen the area around it? When you plant trees flush or proud or with a shelter does the same the same thing happen? Most fruit trees are not fans of puddles/wells and if fertiliser is accumulating in a ring around the stem it isn't ideal also.

Of course the area around it has loose soil. The soil ph is indeed high but this tangelo compaired to the other citrus i planted yuzu, pomelos etc is doing a lot worse.
Yesterday i saw many buds starting to grow. So maybe it will be healthy again soon.
My only option was to put it in a hole like that.
Because of the slope and the fast draining water not even weeds grow there, unless i do what i have done

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 01:39:26 AM »
and i just found what the problem was...
The auto irrigation for somereason had changed from morning to afternoun and the water that was falling was boiling hot... ( you could not even touch it). I am glad the plant survived this  :P

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
hanks for the update.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 05:37:01 AM »
Sometimes it is things you just don't think of. I know the first water out of my hose is scalding hot sometimes when the hose has been left out.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 03:36:17 PM »
Sometimes it is things you just don't think of. I know the first water out of my hose is scalding hot sometimes when the hose has been left out.

Yes indeed. The problem is that my water pipe for those plants is on the surface.. so scandling hot for many minutes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk