Author Topic: Cold tolerance of cherimoyas  (Read 2509 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Cold tolerance of cherimoyas
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
Hello, I plan on moving out to a place where it’s zone 8, but I still want to bring my trees with me. How cold can cherimoya trees tolerate? I want to grow cherimoyas

Thanks

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Cold tolerance of cherimoyas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
Hello, I plan on moving out to a place where it’s zone 8, but I still want to bring my trees with me. How cold can cherimoya trees tolerate? I want to grow cherimoyas

Thanks

Zone 8? 8a or 8b?
Anyway without protection i dont think its possible to grow cherimoyas in zone 8b and bellow.
They should be ok with brief periods of 26°F (i dont believe anything colder would be ok)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
Minor frost should ok.  What area are you moving to?
Brad Spaugh

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
planning on moving to southern oregon, just want to know what I can still get away with, zone is 8b, plan on using water barrels and wind circulation to protect the trees

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »
I would start collecting Asimina triloba instead.
-Josh

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »
that I plan on doing, but also curious how low cherimoyas can go? looks like fino de jete has cold tolerance

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »
Look into some of the Zaiger stone fruits (some are truly every bit as good as a top moya).
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 10:43:26 PM »
- Rob

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »
Some genetic work has been done to determine the cold tolerance of Cherimoya.

It appears that 'Chaffey' may be among the most cold tolerant of varieties.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
It seems that according to Purdue university, Spain replaces their orange trees with cherimoyas with success by their Sierra mountain range, and the grow zones show 8b-9a there, perhaps I can grow cherimoyas up there.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »
Some genetic work has been done to determine the cold tolerance of Cherimoya.

It appears that 'Chaffey' may be among the most cold tolerant of varieties.

Thanks Oolie!
Shane

PassionBob

• Carlsbad, CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 05:44:35 PM »
By definition a zone 8 location would have low temps in the teens at the coldest.  My first reaction to your question was "no", but I have a friend in Nipomo who has a seedling cherimoya, seed from Costa Rica, that survived 19F as a grown tree.  It may be that the rootstock of the tree or the source of the seed for the variety that you grow could make as much difference as the scion you have on top. 
That said, if you pick the perfect location, with great drainage and a southern exposure, up against a wall or other structure, then you could have success.  I have found that a top over trees does as much as or more to protect them than do walls surrounding the tree, so you may consider keeping the tree small and build a structure that can hold a ceiling over the tree in the winter.
Good luck with your experiment!
PassionBob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »
Nipomo is right on the coast 500 miles south from southern Oregon.
Southern Oregon should grow great Paw Paws, which is a great alternative to Cherimoya, which will die, even in Grants Pass or any of the more mild winter locations in Oregon. Sorry.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
Consider espalier on the south side of your house. If you are going to put in the effort of cold protection get some heavy frost cloth and some heat source inside when it is needed. I have breadfruit and Durio species in the ground here. You can do anything if you put the work in.
-Josh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
I've had my Cherimoya's which were started from various seeds from Jay Ruskey collection over twenty five plus years ago my low's in Winter ( Arroyo Grande Mesa,Ca.)can be 27F>16F in 2006 at which time I lost limbs back to one inch diameter. I've also had trees die to ground twice in that time period. The older you can get you trees the better chance of with standing hard freezes but every year hard freezes would be to hard for Cherimoyas to live with and survive. Maybe with lights and frost cover ? All I can say is good luck and keep us posted on your growing experience. Also duration of cold temps are what take out Cherimoyas.
I do have some rootstock of Jack S. hardy Costa Rica seed that seem to be hardier than other seedling cherimoya .
By definition a zone 8 location would have low temps in the teens at the coldest.  My first reaction to your question was "no", but I have a friend in Nipomo who has a seedling cherimoya, seed from Costa Rica, that survived 19F as a grown tree.  It may be that the rootstock of the tree or the source of the seed for the variety that you grow could make as much difference as the scion you have on top. 
That said, if you pick the perfect location, with great drainage and a southern exposure, up against a wall or other structure, then you could have success.  I have found that a top over trees does as much as or more to protect them than do walls surrounding the tree, so you may consider keeping the tree small and build a structure that can hold a ceiling over the tree in the winter.
Good luck with your experiment!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:55:07 AM by ScottR »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 01:30:40 PM »
Besides all the good recommendations already here for special care to give your trees advantages for survival, add keeping your tree's tissues well mineralized to lower the freezing point--- total mineral concentration and glucose concentration count most. 
[For the doubters and the mockers:  Do you think salt water freezes at the same temperature as fresh water?]

Also Silicon and Calcium and Copper harden tissues against frost crystals' penetration.

And killing frost-nucleating bacteria before a frost can be helpful.

[For the doubters and the mockers:  Do you think salt water freezes at the same temperature as fresh water?]
Har

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
Cherimoya can be kept and fruited in 15 gallon pots so you could move them into a protected area for winter. Keep them potted for a winter or two and see where and if there is a suitable area to plant.
Some cultivars like HoneyHart can be kept small with pruning, you could go in ground in a greenhouse as well.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 04:15:55 AM »
I live in what would be considered zone 9a/9b, but unlike Bay Area and northern California, below-freezing temperatures here can last more than just a few hours. Also, north winds are a major problem for many fruit trees which are a lot hardier than cherimoya.

I had 3 seedlings planted in the ground, which were grown from store-bought fruits in Vienna (most likely imported from Spain). I hadn't protected them in any way and they were fried to the ground. Completely dead, including the roots. I got really disappointed then because I had hoped that cherimoyas would be more cold tolerant than that. This year, I planted a new one (from the same batch of seeds), closer to the house, and I plan on protecting it while it's small. But this is going to be my last ditch effort to grow cherimoyas in my climate before I finally give up on them.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 07:07:39 AM »
‘Dream’ cherimoya/annona can supposedly take 19F with no damage. If you do happen to get this variety as a grafted plant, then bury the rootstock at least 5 inches  below the soil line. Below the ground is always going to stay warmer than above the ground during freezes and it’s unlikely other rootstock varieties of cherimoya would be as cold hardy as the dream (being the scion in this case).

There are other annonas from southern Brazil and Argentina that are more cold hardy than cherimoyas.
Annona/rollinia ubatubensis
Annona/rollinia sylvatica
Annona/rollinia emarginata
Annona saliciifolia
Annona neosalicifolia
Annona laurifolia?
There’s some others too just can’t think of em right now

Listen to Har though, he knows what’s up!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:10:15 AM by 850FL »