Author Topic: Mealybug question  (Read 516 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Mealybug question
« on: May 12, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
I have mealybugs on an eggplant.  Should I pull up the eggplant so they don't spread to my fruit trees?  What is the best organic treatment for mealybugs?  Thanks for your help.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mealybug question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 12:02:06 AM »
For organic gardening, you can use Safer Insecticidal soap. Insecticidal soaps are great at managing mealybugs. I'm not an organic diehard but I use this product and it's really effective.

No need to remove the eggplant. It's a host for the mealybugs so just kill them off and see if the ants are farming them. After a few early morning sprays (spread 4-5 days apart), your problem will probably be gone.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:35:31 AM »
I already pulled the eggplant.  After seeing all these horror stories about mealybugs I don't want them to spread to my other trees.  How does the safer insecticidal soap compare to neem oil?  I have neem oil right now but will buy the insecticidal soap.  Thank you.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:08:35 PM »
For me personally, I like the soap for soft bodied pests or at first sign of spider mite infestation. I spray in the morning and there is no harm to bees once it has dried. After a couple applications spread about 4 days apart, I then spray down the trees with water and it comes off easily. I have not noticed any harm with real insecticidal soap.

Neem oil I primarily use when my deciduous trees are bare. I give them a good spray for their light anti-fungal properties and kill off any possible dormant pests. I also use it on heavy spider mite infestation as it disrupts the reproduction of insects as well. I find it to be a little more "harsh" on the plants than the insecticidal soap. Also, neem can interfere with the bees reproduction so it is advised you do not spray it around a plant in flower.

I really try not to spray my plants with anything, though. Since both these products work by suffocation, they kill beneficial insects as well. Right now, as my citrus trees are growing rapidly, the aphids are attacking the tender growth. I'm choosing not to spray them since I am noticing many lacewing eggs and larvae on the trees. They will naturally get everything in check. If I were to spray, I'd be killing the beneficial insects as well.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »
Thank you for your insight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk