Author Topic: Aquaponics Rooting System (how do they work on citrus?)  (Read 746 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Aquaponics Rooting System (how do they work on citrus?)
« on: June 07, 2021, 09:09:42 PM »
I’m attempting something as I’ve seen it done in the past with calamondins and various lemons, that these guys rapidly rooted cuttings. I just got my hands on a cheap “TurboKlone 24T” so I will try my luck with it for citrus, if not I do a lot of rare tomatoes I can still use it with.

Has anyone else ever rooted cuttings this way? I imagined it wouldn’t have ever worked being how prone to rot and shock citrus typically are, but I’ve seen at least a few times being very successful. I plan to try on some finger limes and various lemons.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Re: Aquaponics Rooting System (how do they work on citrus?)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »

I will post here with updates. I currently have some flying dragon, green finger lime, red finger lime, Australian blood lime, and a few lemons. Get a broad spectrum of easy to hard cuttings to root.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
I used a bucket cloner before, very similar to Fast Roots. I found I could root cuttings just as fast in regular garden soil with rooting hormone & tossed the bucket deal...

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
I just fill a 1 gallon container and stick the cuttings in.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 08:09:55 PM »
I used a bucket cloner before, very similar to Fast Roots. I found I could root cuttings just as fast in regular garden soil with rooting hormone & tossed the bucket deal...

It’s just been something I’d been thinking on for quite some time, it’ll be interesting to see! Normally I get around 50% success with finger limes in root root plugs.. however many times due to under watering and negligence. So I’m hoping this will be more of a maintenance free method. I can just stick them in and let them be for a month.