Author Topic: Root pruning pots for figs?  (Read 4865 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Root pruning pots for figs?
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
I've read multiple places that figs "like to have their roots constricted" or something to that effect.

So it makes me wonder how a potted fig would do in either a superroots type of air pruning pot, or a pot treated with spin-out or microkote.

Does anyone have any direct experience growing a fig in a pot like this?

I currently have a Negronne/Violette de Bordeaux fig in a regular ol' pot (with gritty mix) and it seems to be perfectly happy, but after last growing season it had considerable amount of circling roots in the pot. Wonder if it would've been more vigorous in a root-pruning pot...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Root pruning pots for figs?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »
I grow a lot of figs in superoots. The figs adapt well to them.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »

Thanks! Have you been able to compare with conventional pots to determine if they do better in Superoots?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
good idea. I'll try it this year. These holey pots need to be a certain size to do well. Small ones just dry out too fast. 3 gallon is probably the minimun. Anything less I have to frequently monitor for dryness.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
I think figs would fruit on the moon.  Pretty bulletproof.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
my figs in 3 gallon pot made too much roots and went into decline at the 2nd year. I just finished root pruning and repotting.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:50:24 PM »
Yeah, I would still like to hear of anyone who has tried planting in a root-pruning pot and could compare the performance to a standard pot.

I am a little concerned about my fig this year. It's happy enough and has several baby figs, but it has not branched out nearly as much as it did last year. I just don't see any more room for it to set fruit at this point, which would be a disappointment.

The difference between this year and last is that I drastically pruned the roots last year, and did not prune nearly as much this time (though still pruned at least 20%).

Maybe it will still do some vegetative growth and set more fruit but if it doesn't, I guess I've learned my lesson.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »
my figs in 3 gallon pot made too much roots and went into decline at the 2nd year. I just finished root pruning and repotting.

How tall was your 3 gal figs?

In general how to people figure out it's time for (root) pruning or repotting?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:10:17 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »

How tall was your 3 gal figs?

In general how to people figure out it's time for pruning or repotting?
Figs only produce their primary crop on new growth, so it is always time to prune (sorta).

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
Figs only produce their primary crop on new growth, so it is always time to prune (sorta).

Thanks! Ooops I meant to ask about root pruning.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »
Wait, I should have clarified I wasn't using a root pruning pot for this plant. I don't have time to water it that much. Figs seem to use up water really fast and once a week was barely okay last year even without the root pruning holes.
It's only 3 ft tall. I'm not too sure when to prune. It's just not growing much this year and I pulled it up and saw some circling roots. It also wasn't letting water penetrate into the middle of the soil. I guess 3 gallon pot will need pruning too soon.
The slow growth could be from the cool weather though.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »
 3 feet?  I think you are overthinking this. Upsize the pot or don't sweat it where it is. Let the plant develop before you butch it. Bigger tree will produce more.than a smaller.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:47:13 PM »
The fruits on it seems to be frozen at a small size and I worried. Also the root mass repelled water I fed it. Everything just drains out the bottom hole. So I figured changing some of the soil would be a benefit.

Upping the pot or planting in ground would be better if I had more room :)

Grandmotherbear

• South Central and Southeast FL zones 10/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
I am a newby here, but I had my Petite Negri in a 12 gallon pot. It arrived with a tiny fig on it in April and bore till early December, growing taller than me in the process. I was so happy I bought another. Then the first one died. I have yet another new one planted in a 12 gallon pot and I'm trying to add a little more bought garden soil and/or black kow as the heat shrinks the pot's earth contents. No, I don't use potting mix. It's too light to support the plants properly and dries out too quickly. I try to use half and half with miraclgro Garden Soil and Back Kow Manure. My second and third Petite Negri's aren't growing as fast as the first one did- it went fom 18 inches to 6 feet before it died- but I'm hoping that means a longer life for them