Author Topic: acerola seeds  (Read 6415 times)

amitzauber

• Israel
    • View Profile
acerola seeds
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
hello

i am looking for acerola seeds

anyone grow this fruit?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: acerola seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
Hi Amit,

Those seeds are very very hard to germinate. I think in that past years I have tried about 100 seeds but without success.

Tomas

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »
Hi Amit,

Those seeds are very very hard to germinate. I think in that past years I have tried about 100 seeds but without success.

Tomas

And I thought it was just me...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
My acerola tree produces sterile seeds. Others have reported their acerola seeds are viable. I'm, guessing that my tree doesn't have viable seeds because it is a lone tree and is not getting pollinated by another tree.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
My acerola tree produces sterile seeds. Others have reported their acerola seeds are viable. I'm, guessing that my tree doesn't have viable seeds because it is a lone tree and is not getting pollinated by another tree.

I have 3 producing trees , never a volunteer seedling......so I am doing cuttings , 1 out of 2 take.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »

I have 3 producing trees , never a volunteer seedling......so I am doing cuttings , 1 out of 2 take.

Ya I have two trees and same story, cuttings take moderately well. Airlayers have better sucess
- David Antonio Garcia

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
I also have one but have never tried to germinate the seeds.  I can send you some when I get fruit next, or try and root a cutting for you.

- Jacob

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »

Ya I have two trees and same story, cuttings take moderately well. Airlayers have better sucess

Never tried an airlayer on acerola , will try that also , pencil thick wood 30 cm long OK ? How long do you leave them on David ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »

Never tried an airlayer on acerola , will try that also , pencil thick wood 30 cm long OK ? How long do you leave them on David ?

I've got several airlayers on my acerola right now; the ones that rooted the fastest were from wood about 1.5X thicker than a pencil and about 50 cm in length.  Took about 6 weeks for them to be ready to cut off, but I suspect that will vary depending on temperature and other factors.

I've tried germinating the seeds and have had none sprout yet.

Kevin

Edit for clarity: the smaller airlayers I tried didn't root as quickly and some may not have taken at all, on the same plant that the large airlayers came from at the same time.  The large airlayers showed no signs of shock after removal, other than immediately flushing new leaf growth and a bunch of blooms.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:34:12 PM by CoPlantNut »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
i've done air layers on acerola also. As i remember a very high percentage rooted, maybe all of them. But i think they took a whole lot longer than 6 weeks. I think it was more like 2-3 months for them to really root completely. Maybe they start rooting at 6 weeks, but i wouldn't cut them off at that stage.
Oscar

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
i've done air layers on acerola also. As i remember a very high percentage rooted, maybe all of them. But i think they took a whole lot longer than 6 weeks. I think it was more like 2-3 months for them to really root completely. Maybe they start rooting at 6 weeks, but i wouldn't cut them off at that stage.

I did 12 airlayers about 9 weeks ago; the two on the largest stems took 6 weeks to completely fill their sphagnum moss allotment with roots and start poking roots out the bottom.  They were certainly ready to cut off.  There are 2 more-- the next largest stems-- that have roots now (but not many) after 9 weeks, and the rest have no obvious roots yet.  Maybe the larger stems' increased surface area and therefore extra rooting hormone made a difference?  I'm just speculating- this is the first time I've airlayered acerola.

It certainly helps if you can arrange it so the plastic is transparent enough to see the roots and know when to cut them off...

Kevin

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »

I'd say what CoPlantNut said is about right. As for how long to leave them. I like to always do one airlayer in a group that I wrap with a clear plastic so I can see the roots. Thus, I dont really pay attention to how long they take
- David Antonio Garcia

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »
Have you checked out "almosteden" they are a nursery and they sell acerola  for under 15 bucks... I bought one in like january.. it came and i repotted it.. and now it's full of blooms..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk