Author Topic: Does anyone knows this Psidium???  (Read 5657 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Does anyone knows this Psidium???
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
About 1 year ago, I found a Psidium, tree, that at the begining, I thought it was a P. catleyanum, as the leaves have some similarities, but this year, when I saw it fruiting, I changed my mind, and started searching for this species or something similar, but until now I found nothing, that really match it.

The fruit, is a bit juicy, with the inner flesh being gelatinous/mucilaginous, almost translucid, very fragrant, and quite sweet! The taste, is very diferent from other guavas I've tasted before, having a hint of passion fruit, at the end.
The seeds of this species are much bigger than P. catleyanum

Some images of the "beast", showing details, of fruits, leaves, bark, seedlings, and seeds! unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of an open fruit...

Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Does anyone knows this Psidium???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:49:11 AM »
it remembers me psidium "guianensis", not psidium guineense

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:02:51 AM »

The fruit, specially while unripe, have some similarities, but once ripe is diferent. This one is pear shaped, and P. guianensis, is more rounder, and this one loses all it's wrinkles, when fully ripe, while guianensis, keep most of it's wrinkles, even after completely ripe; also by the images I've seen trough the web, the seeds of guianensis, look fairly smaller than this one.
Another big difference, is the bark and the leaves! In P. guianensis the leaves, are more like, P. guajava, P. acutangulum... and this one have thicker/leathery, and glossy leaves.

Nélio.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:02:40 AM »
Looks a little like psidium friedrichsthalianum but im no expert.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Looks a little like psidium friedrichsthalianum but im no expert.

Thank you for your contribution,

They have similar leaves, but the fruit doesn't match! P. friedrichsthalianum fruit, looks more globose, than this one, and once again, the seeds look considerably smaller than the ones in the one that I've posted.
Another diference I noticed, are the stems; in Psidium friedrichsthalianum, they look to be darker than this one.

Nélio.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »

The fruit, specially while unripe, have some similarities, but once ripe is diferent. This one is pear shaped, and P. guianensis, is more rounder, and this one loses all it's wrinkles, when fully ripe, while guianensis, keep most of it's wrinkles, even after completely ripe; also by the images I've seen trough the web, the seeds of guianensis, look fairly smaller than this one.
Another big difference, is the bark and the leaves! In P. guianensis the leaves, are more like, P. guajava, P. acutangulum... and this one have thicker/leathery, and glossy leaves.

Nélio.

Sorry, I meant psidium guyanense, but the info about guianensis, guyanensis, guyanense or so, is confusing me... (I am sure yours and mine are not p. guineense)

My plant is this:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2014/08/27/psidium-guyanense/

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »

Sorry, I meant psidium guyanense, but the info about guianensis, guyanensis, guyanense or so, is confusing me... (I am sure yours and mine are not p. guineense)

My plant is this:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2014/08/27/psidium-guyanense/

Your seedling looks a bit more like the ones I have, about leave colour, and shape, but mine are a bit fuzzy, and yours looks no fuzzy at all! Do you remember if there were some "Hair" on your when it was smaller? Anyway, this is a characteristic, that only seedlings of this species present, as the adult tree has no "hair" at all.
Once again, the fruit doesn't match, but not sure if the images available in the web are trustable, and I should say, that beyond your photos, there's not to much, that could be a great help, to solve this mistery...
About the confusing similar names, apparently there's no consensus, as some sites put it as different species, and others say that they're synonyms... It is not very clear to me too...

By the way, your plant looks great!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »

Your seedling looks a bit more like the ones I have, about leave colour, and shape, but mine are a bit fuzzy, and yours looks no fuzzy at all! Do you remember if there were some "Hair" on your when it was smaller? Anyway, this is a characteristic, that only seedlings of this species present, as the adult tree has no "hair" at all.
Once again, the fruit doesn't match, but not sure if the images available in the web are trustable, and I should say, that beyond your photos, there's not to much, that could be a great help, to solve this mistery...
About the confusing similar names, apparently there's no consensus, as some sites put it as different species, and others say that they're synonyms... It is not very clear to me too...

Yes, mine is not fuzzy (but new lives in the borders are a bit fuzzy). I didnt had it when it was just born: I exchanged it when it was 1 year old, so I dont know if it had some hair. The man gave it to me named as psidium guianensis or guineense, but then I started to see that it could be psidium guyanense or so...

These were old photos, the plant grew a lot since then and it should flower soon, but not this summer.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:51 AM »

Yes, mine is not fuzzy (but new lives in the borders are a bit fuzzy). I didnt had it when it was just born: I exchanged it when it was 1 year old, so I dont know if it had some hair. The man gave it to me named as psidium guianensis or guineense, but then I started to see that it could be psidium guyanense or so...

These were old photos, the plant grew a lot since then and it should flower soon, but not this summer.

Well in this photos, the folliage, is quite similar, but unless it keeps the "fuzzy thing" untill it is really big, it´s still different, cause, as I mentioned before it doesn't appear in the adult tree where I pick the fruits!
As soon as your set some fruit, we will be able to know if they're the same thing or not.
I start thinking it could be an hybrid, resulting of a cross between, a big and a small fruit species...

Ataman

• I'm fruit lover. I try to grow every type of fruit
    • Hungary, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
I think I have this species. Very similar to strawberry guava. Mine is 3 year old.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
I think I have this species. Very similar to strawberry guava. Mine is 3 year old.

This one is not Strawberry Guava! I have yellow and red Strawberry Guavas, and they are quite diferent! Indeed the leaves have some similarities.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:49:19 PM by Grapebush »

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Hi, I discovered one fruit! pingpong ball size, but pear shaped... I didnt even saw the flower... so it was a surprise

will take photos later! this is a very rare psidium to me, it is similar to a guava but if it was crossed to psidium cattleianum

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
I took some photos, sorry about the white powder: it is diatomeaceous earth (tierra de diatomeas), I am trying to kill the fruit flies...

subir fotos gratis