Author Topic: Durian Leaf Problems - Can Anyone Identify This?  (Read 2102 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Durian Leaf Problems - Can Anyone Identify This?
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »
My prized 2-year-old durian has developed what appears to be a bacterial problem on its leaves.  I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it, but it's eating the plant up at a crazy pace.  Can anyone identify this problem and advise how to destroy it?

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Re: Durian Leaf Problems - Can Anyone Identify This?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:51:11 AM »
Are you sure it'a a bacterial problem?
How about the tree's condition? Is it potted or planted on open earth? Irrigation is ok? Temperature? Weeds?
Lorenzo

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's either bacterial or viral.  I've had the same condition appear on the leaves of other trees as well and I've had to throw them away because I couldn't get rid of it.  The tree is currently potted, but it has been planted during the warm season.  Temperature and humidity are both good (70-80 F / 50-70 percent humidity).  I currently have the plant quarantined as I have 20 other durian seedlings that are not displaying any symptoms.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Doesn't look viral or bacterial to me unless it is a root rot.I would be checking the soil drainage and pH, and if it happened after the application of fertiliser. Different varieties have very responses to wet soil and low temps and it could be a more sensitive variety. Is there any history of phytophthora near your place? 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 06:49:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I didn't notice any root issues when I potted it for winter, but too much water is still definitely still a possibility as I have the plant in a seedling mix which stays moist for a very long time.   

I was thinking it might be phytophthora as we do have issues with here in Florida and it does resemble the pictures of phytophthora I've seen elsewhere on the net.

Any suggestions for getting rid of it?  I definitely don't want it to spread to my other seedlings.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »
its lack of humidity and dew point, happens this time every year to mine when humidity and dew point levels are around 50% or lower. ive lost a few to this problem but some plants get severe burn on the leaves and make it through to late February- march when the humidity and dew point comes back. This year i bought giant zip lock bags and cover the top half of the plants (I use bamboo shoots to put the bag around so the plant isn't touching the bag) and mist the bag twice a day, seems to be working great so far.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 06:22:29 AM »
Thanks a lot, Buddy.  I'll give the plastic bag method a shot.  I really don't want to lose this plant.  How are your durian adventures progressing?  I'm eager to hear how your soil amendment and zone creation projects are working for your durians.