Author Topic: 1st cherimoya of the season  (Read 1032 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
1st cherimoya of the season
« on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »
It came off of grafted pierce cherimoya.  It's in a 20 gallon pot so  I only pollinated 3 flowers on this tree.  The fruit was a lil bigger then a baseball.  I was hoping it would get bigger but the fruit dropped from the last storm.  The skin already had a bit of yellow blush on it.  When I picked it up the fruit was still hard.  Crossed my fingers that it didn't drop too soon.  After 5 days of just leaving it on the kitchen island this morning i checked and it soften.  In the fridge it went and I I had it after dinner.  OMG! no wonder everybody raves about this variety!  I wouldnt say it was a low seed count but wasnt alot either .
Each quarter contained about 6 to 7 seeds.  The 1st thing I noticed was the clean texture, no grainyless at all, not chewy but not mushy either.  I wasn't to impress with the flavor with the 1st bite.  But and a big but! oh boy in between feeding my 5 year old..the flavor and sweetness started to intensify.   I been to 2 Irvine cherimoya tasting and this one set a new standard.  Definitely this one is going in ground this Spring!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 1st cherimoya of the season
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
Nice fruit, Pierce is an excellent variety. Your fruit should get bigger as the tree matures, especially if you plant it into the ground.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: 1st cherimoya of the season
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
Pierce is my # 1 cherimoya. Hns down it has performed every year.