Author Topic: Golden Nuggets Manderin  (Read 5439 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Golden Nuggets Manderin
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »
This lives up to the hype even for folks that don't like citrus like me,....it's like eating clusters of candy not one seed.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Nuggets Manderin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »
This lives up to the hype even for folks that don't like citrus like me,....it's like eating clusters of candy not one seed.

Yeah, theres a fruit that can not be grown with success in Florida.  Like you said, even though they are citrus (not sure what is really wrong with citrus...I love eating a fresh picked Centennial Kumquat), that is one damn good fruit.  are they from your tree ?
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:03 AM »
No, mine will be ready soon but they are truely incredible. I tried Satsuma, Tango Algerian etc. all of them excellent but GN is one step above.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
great news- i have a tree that is producing its first crop this year

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
Have you ever tried a Page? Those are my favorite now. I got rid of all of my citrus except for the Page and pomello. The Page are my favorite by far, but I don't think I have ever tried a golden nugget.

Andrew78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »
Jsvand,
Thanks for your comments on 'Page'. I ordered 3 citrus from Four Winds nursery. I bought 'Kishu', and a Variegated Pink lemon. Harry had mentioned to me before that he really liked 'Page'. Do you think the fruit has excessive seeds? I read on another forum that a few people didn't like it because of it's high seed count.

I think I will have at least 1-2 years before I get to enjoy my first fruit.

Andrew

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Have you ever tried a Page? Those are my favorite now. I got rid of all of my citrus except for the Page and pomello. The Page are my favorite by far, but I don't think I have ever tried a golden nugget.

No, have not tried the Page. Two years ago I tried about 10 varieties. I liked the GN the best so I got it last summer. I've tried the famous Summo tangerine and GN is better. Another amazing manderin is the Murcot.

JF

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »
I once upon a time grew one called Honey Murcott.  It was excellent....not sure if it was same as what you are decribing.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
I once upon a time grew one called Honey Murcott.  It was excellent....not sure if it was same as what you are decribing.

Harry

I can remember Harry. I would have to call Clausen Nursery to find out. Here is their webpage but you might be right. http://www.clausennursery.com/trees/tangerines

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »

Harry

I can remember Harry. I would have to call Clausen Nursery to find out. Here is their webpage but you might be right. http://www.clausennursery.com/trees/tangerines

Checking their website, there it is....kind of:

Florida Murcott Honey. Medium-size, upright, with open, rigid habit that often causes fruit to be exposed to wind, sun and cold. Fruit is medium size with a thin, bright orange rind. Rich flavor. Few to many seeds. Fairly easy to peel. Holds well on tree.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »

Florida Murcott Honey.  Medium-size, upright, with open, rigid habit that often causes fruit to be exposed to wind, sun and cold. Fruit is medium size with a thin, bright orange rind. Rich flavor. Few to many seeds. Fairly easy to peel. Holds well on tree.
[/quote]

We have Honey Murcott here. It is a type of tangor. Very sweet citrus. Flattened shape with thin skin,  But not easy to peel.
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Harry

Florida Murcott Honey. Medium-size, upright, with open, rigid habit that often causes fruit to be exposed to wind, sun and cold. Fruit is medium size with a thin, bright orange rind. Rich flavor. Few to many seeds. Fairly easy to peel. Holds well on tree.

you got good memory Harry....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »

Florida Murcott Honey.  Medium-size, upright, with open, rigid habit that often causes fruit to be exposed to wind, sun and cold. Fruit is medium size with a thin, bright orange rind. Rich flavor. Few to many seeds. Fairly easy to peel. Holds well on tree.

We have Honey Murcott here. It is a type of tangor. Very sweet citrus. Flattened shape with thin skin,  But not easy to peel.
Oscar
[/quote]

that's the advange with the GN easy to peel and seedless....it's kind of bumpy as you see in the pics.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
Yes, we had the same issue with the Honey Murcotts we grew.  Difficult to peel but well worth it once you got that peel off.  Not large fruits but very tasty.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »
Jsvand,
Thanks for your comments on 'Page'. I ordered 3 citrus from Four Winds nursery. I bought 'Kishu', and a Variegated Pink lemon. Harry had mentioned to me before that he really liked 'Page'. Do you think the fruit has excessive seeds? I read on another forum that a few people didn't like it because of it's high seed count.

I think I will have at least 1-2 years before I get to enjoy my first fruit.

Andrew

I ususally spray mine with Gibberellic acid so the are usually seedless.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Yes, we had the same issue with the Honey Murcotts we grew.  Difficult to peel but well worth it once you got that peel off.  Not large fruits but very tasty.

Harry

We overcome that Honey Murcott peeling problem by juicing them; makes excellent juice.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk