Author Topic: Atemoya or Cherimoya?  (Read 4302 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Atemoya or Cherimoya?
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »
I will be visiting Florida in about a week, and was thinking about picking up a Annona,  Atemoya or Cherimoya

I see some of the nurseries have cultivars of Atemoya, and have read they do better in hot weather,  but would like the opinion of those in the forum.

Whats better tasting? Atemoya or Cherimoya,  which would do best in the humid Caribbean?  also from my understanding Atemoya and Cherimoya are not very good at self pollinating, although some cultivars are said to be better at self pollinating such as the "Gefner" atemoya.  advice?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Atemoya or Cherimoya?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »
Get an atemoya if you want fruits, cherimoya will be a rocky road to travel.

Maybe get some  A. reticulata, or a hybrid thereof.

Hope u find a real gem. ;)

PS Gefner is an easy choice, and easy to grow, not needing pollination by hand.

I will be visiting Florida in about a week, and was thinking about picking up a Annona,  Atemoya or Cherimoya

I see some of the nurseries have cultivars of Atemoya, and have read they do better in hot weather,  but would like the opinion of those in the forum.

Whats better tasting? Atemoya or Cherimoya,  which would do best in the humid Caribbean?  also from my understanding Atemoya and Cherimoya are not very good at self pollinating, although some cultivars are said to be better at self pollinating such as the "Gefner" atemoya.  advice?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »
 Anikulapo thanks for the info,  you seem to have a lot of experience with "exotics" I wonder if you know where i can find, a Lucuma in South Fla? I'd be happy even with seeds, or if you know who sells fruit, etc.  I noticed out in CA they are available , but cant seem to find a source in Fla. or even for seeds online.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
Yeah, I would not waste my time looking for a cherimoya plant in SFla.  Like Adam said, go with a Gefner or Lisa, neither will steer you wrong (I know some feel Lisa is inferior but I have had some outstanding Lisas...as with any fruit, where/how it is grown has a lot to do with quality).
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
Anikulapo thanks for the info,  you seem to have a lot of experience with "exotics" I wonder if you know where i can find, a Lucuma in South Fla? I'd be happy even with seeds, or if you know who sells fruit, etc.  I noticed out in CA they are available , but cant seem to find a source in Fla. or even for seeds online.

Ben Poirier has them, I don't think he has a website but here is his info: BTW, go with the Atemoya as Rob said the Gefner and Lisa are great fruits and I would add African Pride to the list.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
In general cherimoyas are better quality than atemoyas, but unless you live at high elevation you will have to go with atemoya as cherimoya will not fruit in tropical climates. Most of the lucumas are the same, unless you are up high they're not gonna fruit for you.
Oscar
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
Colega,

I remember you telling us, that you have a tropical climate and live more or less close to sea level. Forget about chirimoya and lucuma in your location! Instead of chirimoya get a good atemoya or sugar apple (personally I prefer the taste of sugar apple over chirimoya).

Instead of lucuma get a canistel! Similar fruit, but I think canistel is much better. I'm growing 3 canistel (Bruce, Oro and Trompo) and one lucuma cultivar (la Molina). I think those canistels are better then any lucuma I've tasted so far (I've tasted many in Peru).

;)

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
I appreciate all the advice, guess Ill go with the Atemoya,  How does the Ross Sapote, compare with Lucuma, or Canistel, is it similar in taste and texture?
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 01:27:17 AM »
I appreciate all the advice, guess Ill go with the Atemoya,  How does the Ross Sapote, compare with Lucuma, or Canistel, is it similar in taste and texture?

Haven't you heard? Ross is the boss! Sorry to steal your line Adam. Hope you don't have a trademark on it.  ;)
Oscar