Author Topic: Update on Excailbur Red, plus recent visit.  (Read 4632 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Update on Excailbur Red, plus recent visit.
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »
Hey Forum,

I just returned home from my recent visit to Excalibur, my mission was simple inquire about the availability of Excalibur Red jakfruit and Ross Sapote.

Excalibur Red: is available in 3 gallon they have 15-20 trees at 100$ a pop. I had to pass on the 100$ price point and for now stick with my Mai 3 and BANGKOK lemon and wait to sample the Excalibur Red before buying.

Ross Sapote: Richards wife denied the existence of Ross sapote and suggested it was maybe a renamed Canistel like the Tebow Young mango.....well it is what it is. Does anyone know where to find a Ross sapote trees for sale near boynton beach fl?

I also tried a few "white mulberries" though the pot they were growing in was labeled green. In fact they were partly green and white and very sweet with no tart tasted exactly like the sugar cane I grow. Gonna get me that mullberry in a 3 gallon next.

_JoeP450
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:44:25 PM by murahilin »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Excailbur Red, plus recent visit.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
I have a three gallon Ross Sapote (Grafted) in Haverhill west of Mounts Botanical for $30

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Yes, the white colored mulberry you sampled is in fact called "Green Mulberry".  To those who have never tried it it is honey sweet.  Some say it has nuances or a honeydew melon.

Joe - did Lynda say the Ross did not exist, she didn't know of it or that they form't carry it?

I did post a couple of weeks ago with respect to the availability of the excalibur red jackfruit.  As both myself and murahilin mentioned, these are brand new on the market and are currently very limited availability.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »
If I remember correctly, the green used to be referred to as the white mulberry at Excalibur a few years ago. Recently they've been calling it the green. Don't know why. Not sure if there even is a green mulberry species.

If it is in fact a M. alba species, then it should be called a white mulberry. I think it may be the white 'Shahtoot' which is a white mulberry variety. I would need to compare it to another white 'Shahtoot' to verify though.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Go to Pine Island Nursery www.tropicalfruitnursery.com ...they are the best and have very high quality trees, and sometimes are quite oversized for the cheap price you pay...I had fruits off of a 3 gallon Ross sapote tree that I got from them, only 1.5yrs after purchase.

Few nurseries come close to Pine Island, as far as quality of trees, price of trees, and cleanliness and organization of growing operation.

Ross sapote is very real, and very delicious...although some argue it's not a true canistel.

call it whatever u want, I just grow and eat them.

Hey Forum,

I just returned home from my recent visit to Excalibur, my mission was simple inquire about the availability of Excalibur Red jakfruit and Ross Sapote.

Excalibur Red: is available in 3 gallon they have 15-20 trees at 100$ a pop. I had to pass on the 100$ price point and for now stick with my Mai 3 and BANGKOK lemon and wait to sample the Excalibur Red before buying.

Ross Sapote: Richards wife denied the existence of Ross sapote and suggested it was maybe a renamed Canistel like the Tebow Young/The Young mango.....well it is what it is. Does anyone know where to find a Ross sapote trees for sale near boynton beach fl?

I also tried a few "white mulberries" though the pot they were growing in was labeled green. In fact they were partly green and white and very sweet with no tart tasted exactly like the sugar cane I grow. Gonna get me that mullberry in a 3 gallon next.

_JoeP450
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:43:53 PM by murahilin »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
$100 for a 3 gal jack???

Why so much?  Does it take 6 men to graft? ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
$100 for a 3 gal jack???

Why so much?  Does it take 6 men to graft? ;D

They only have 15 or do available. None for another year at least. It's supposed to be very good according to those who've tried the fruit. Supply and demand.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
If I remember correctly, the green used to be referred to as the white mulberry at Excalibur a few years ago. Recently they've been calling it the green. Don't know why. Not sure if there even is a green mulberry species.

If it is in fact a M. alba species, then it should be called a white mulberry. I think it may be the white 'Shahtoot' which is a white mulberry variety. I would need to compare it to another white 'Shahtoot' to verify though.
Last time I asked Richard about it he said while there is a "white mulberry", this in fact is a different cultivar.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Last time I asked Richard about it he said while there is a "white mulberry", this in fact is a different cultivar.

The one they are referring to as the green now is the one they used to refer to as the white. I don't think I am confusing the two. There are more than one cultivar of M. alba. They have a short one and the long one that they label as the green now which is likely the white shahtoot.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »

The one they are referring to as the green now is the one they used to refer to as the white. I don't think I am confusing the two. There are more than one cultivar of M. alba. They have a short one and the long one that they label as the green now which is likely the white shahtoot.
Gotcha...so you are saying from your understanding, the "long" one (the one currently labeled as "Green") is in fact the white ?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Gotcha...so you are saying from your understanding, the "long" one (the one currently labeled as "Green") is in fact the white ?
Somewhat. What I am saying is, the one they are calling green is likely a cultivar of the white species M. alba. If they choose to call it green that is fine but it will be a white cultivar named green. Also, I think they used to call the same long one the white a while back. I guess they changed it to the 'green' now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
Somewhat. What I am saying is, the one they are calling green is likely a cultivar of the white species M. alba. If they choose to call it green that is fine but it will be a white cultivar named green. Also, I think they used to call the same long one the white a while back. I guess they changed it to the 'green' now.
I also thought it used to be white.  I was a little confused when I sold one recently that had Green written on the pot.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

Ross Sapote: Richards wife denied the existence of Ross sapote

A common human fallacy: if you don't know about a thing then it doesn't really exist!  ;)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk