Author Topic: A $5000 mango sold at a Japanese auction.  (Read 2355 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
A $5000 mango sold at a Japanese auction.
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
Here is the video. It is very entertaining and educational. Enjoy!!!
https://youtu.be/ZacRtEM0F0Q

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: A $5000 mango sold at a Japanese auction.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »
I was fortunate enough to get two Miyazaki mangos last year and they were delicious. Im not sure what the price was since my wife bought them but they were not 5k...I did see some that were thousands though.
-Chris

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:21:42 AM »
It's the culture of sharing revenues. Like the guy in the video says they pay the price for the respect of the growers and their hard work. Like over there they create jobs only to keep people employed even though they don't need them.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:43:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xateP2qrgMo

Weird Fruit Explorer says the Miyazaki mango he sampled was actually an Irwin. Wonder how much a Japanese Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbet, or Sweet Tart would go for?

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
This is what I saw at a Tokyo grocery store. The first mango is about usd $300. US is a fruit heaven compared to Japan.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
5k! :o

I can start a Mango grove with that much dough  ;D

Seriously though, the amount of work those farmers put into their produce is amazing, here is a video showing how they take care of the Miyazaki mangos from start to finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eF0bM1KGyA

A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
Does anyone have any idea where to buy those styrofoam baskets and forms in the boxes?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:51:07 AM »
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2054095/

I tried Irwin when visiting. Not a fan. Don't think ultra-sweet 30 brix mangoes are going to catch on over there either. Japanese sweets are very mild compared to western ones, mizu-ame being the exception.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »
It's the culture of sharing revenues. Like the guy in the video says they pay the price for the respect of the growers and their hard work. Like over there they create jobs only to keep people employed even though they don't need them.
This must be what is going on . The Japanese are  a mono population. They are a school of fishes. So respect is paid to the farmer who can pull this off in the form of a $5000 tip let us say. And the mango buyer gets some bragging rights. It's all about the prestige and snobbishness.
If you send this Japanese buyer the best possible American mango he will not pay more than $5.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
Love this post.

Its like Kobe beef for example.  Its only called Kobe if it comes from Kobe.  Theyre actually Irwin mangoes that are grown like small Bonsai trees and allowed to produce only up to 2 fruits per stock.  I really look up to what these guys do.  Its pretty impressive that a variety we push away they turn into 5k for 2 where some of us cant even get 5k off a couple crops 😂.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »
This must be what is going on . The Japanese are  a mono population. They are a school of fishes. So respect is paid to the farmer who can pull this off in the form of a $5000 tip let us say. And the mango buyer gets some bragging rights. It's all about the prestige and snobbishness.
If you send this Japanese buyer the best possible American mango he will not pay more than $5.
I think you are right. These heavy spenders are like lobbyist. I''m sure the favor is later returned to them with pick of the crop, or otherwise. But there are also stores in Japan that sell "perfect" fruits for hundreds of dollars. And the buyers there have no connection at all to the farmers. The Japanese are obsessed with perfection, and there are plenty of wealthy people there that don't mind doling it out on special occasions.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk