Author Topic: "Arizona Purple" Dragon Fruit  (Read 6446 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
"Arizona Purple" Dragon Fruit
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »
Hello Friends,

I just harvested my first "Arizona Purple" Dragon Fruit.  I have to say it was on par with the best Dragon Fruit I have ever tried.  The color was absolutely electric.  So vibrant and deep. It literally glowed in the daylight.  The texture was firm but very smooth with very little seeds.  The flavor was quite sweet and almost grape-like in taste; with a bit of kiwi and melon mixed in. I would definitely recommend this variety, especially to those who think Dragon Fruit are bland and tasteless. What it lacked in size, it made up for in taste and color.

Jacob

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:15:11 AM by Jacob13 »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: "Arizona Purple" Dragon Fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
Thanks for posting the variety. I like this one too, alongside Valdvia Roja. Did you get yours from Manny? He got it from a friend in Arizona and didn't know what to call it. The fruit he gave me was sweet and fragrant but had a metallic taste. I wonder if there was taste left over from cutting open his clams.

This is synonymous with Paul Thomson's 8S and known as Voodoo Child in Florida. I've seen Voodoo Child sold at Home Depot sometimes.

It seems pretty hardy to have ripened over the winter.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:39:51 AM by fyliu »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:40:42 AM »
Arizona Purple is the same as Voodoo Child?
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
Arizona Purple is the same as Voodoo Child?
I've heard several people say that. I don't personally know Voodoo Child but Arizona Purple has dark meaty stems with rounded triangular cross sections. Fruits are small to medium-small, magenta flesh, thin skin, and the protruding leaf things on the fruit tend to dry up while the fruits are ripening on the plant. The appearance of the fruits are closer to eggs and not as showy as those of common Hylocereus undatus.

I got a plant from Manny last year and it grew so fast I had to give away some prunings. No fruit yet but it won't be long the way it's going

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:29:10 AM »
Hello Friends,

I just harvested my first "Arizona Purple" Dragon Fruit.  I have to say it was on par with the best Dragon Fruit I have ever tried.  The color was absolutely electric.  So vibrant and deep. It literally glowed in the daylight.  The texture was firm but very smooth with very little seeds.  The flavor was quite sweet and almost grape-like in taste; with a bit of kiwi and melon mixed in. I would definitely recommend this variety, especially to those who think Dragon Fruit are bland and tasteless. What it lacked in size, it made up in taste and color.

Jacob

That is one nice looking and tasty Dragon Fruit. How is the fruit production on this Arizona Purple cultivar? And, does it produce fruit reliably on a yearly basis?
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:37:41 AM »
Hello Friends,

I absolutely would say that "Arizona Purple" is not the same as "Voodoo Child".  I also have "Voodoo Child" and the plants do not look identical.  Also, the descpription of the plants, flowers, and fruit are very, very, different.  According to the "Voodoo Child's" description, it is a profuse and strong grower, and my "Arixona Purple" has got to be one of my slowest growing dragon fruit plants.  Also, "Voodoo Child" is said to have huge 15" inch blooms and the flowers on my "Arizona Purple" were quite small at 6" to 8" inches. Lastly, the fruit from the "Voodoo Child" are described as "Tangy".  There is absolutely nothing "Tangy" about the fruit I got from my "Arizona Purple". 

- Jacob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:49:57 AM by Jacob13 »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
I agree with your description of Arizona Purple's characteristics except mine's been growing pretty fast. Maybe because I just left it there and didn't bother taking care of it.

What about 8S from Linda at Elk Creek? I heard people compare that to Voodoo Child and also AP. I wonder if there's any truth to that.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32:52 AM »
I looked at the website and the fruit and they appear to be completely different.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:07 AM »
Can you post a photo of what a section of the vine looks like?

The Elk Creek S-8 fruit look pretty much like the Arizona Purple I've seen. I think your fruit actually looks more like the Voodoo Child on Mattslandscape page than an Arizona Purple. Of course the flower size is way off. They might have copied part of the description from Pine Island.

http://www.mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant_name=Voodoo%20Child
http://www.devonsaustraliancattledogs.com/Dragonfruit
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/pages/voodoo.htm