Author Topic: Mango Bud Grafting T-Bud Graft Method  (Read 24826 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Mango Bud Grafting T-Bud Graft Method
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Thank you for all the tips here. I got X-Acto # 2 with Shick blades as recommended. What a difference! Dang, that thing slices clean like butter and your fingers would be budded out too if not careful. This will give me more confidence in bud grafting now.

last question, what is recommended protection for fingers? there is always potential for a bad cut of fingers. I want to have some insurance.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »

what is recommended protection for fingers? there is always potential for a bad cut of fingers. I want to have some insurance.
:)   from google   :)  .... (usually by Lloyds of London for most policies)
10 expensively insured body parts
Heidi Klum's legs - $2 million. ...
America Ferrera's smile - $10million. ...
Keith Richard's hands - $1.6 million. ...    8)
Ilja Gort's nose - $5.58 million. ...
Gennaro Pelliccia's taste buds - $13.3 million. ...
David Beckham's legs (and face) - $195 million. ...
Cristiano Ronaldo's legs - $144 million. ...
Bruce Springsteen's voice - £3.5 million.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
Thank you for all the tips here. I got X-Acto # 2 with Shick blades as recommended. What a difference! Dang, that thing slices clean like butter and your fingers would be budded out too if not careful. This will give me more confidence in bud grafting now.

last question, what is recommended protection for fingers? there is always potential for a bad cut of fingers. I want to have some insurance.

I got one of those xacto knives and the schick blades.  Definitely cut away from yourself when cutting the rootstocks.

Amazon sells "cut resistant" level 5 gloves if you are really wild with the knife.  They look like they would work well.  Lots of brands make them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:37:53 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
I think your success will improve with a cleaner cut.   Control is the issue with me.  I recently grafted some annona, cleft grafts. Tried something new - this time I laid the scion stick on the granite counter top and with the other hand positioned the Schick blade over it making sure it was perfectly horizontal to the granite and pulled the scion thru the blade.  Flipped the now angled cleft type scion and repeated the motion.  Got a perfect match and they're pushing.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Hey Behl, any luck on your bud grafts?

I just put two bud grafts on a tree at Brads orchard. It’s more like shield/veneer bud graft and I put it on newer red, non hardened wood so I’m skeptical it will take but I’m hopeful it will. The wind has been blowing crazy at his place and the trees were flexing a lot in the wind. Here’s a picture before I wrapped it.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Looks like a chip bud. I've had good success with those. Let us know how it goes. If you don't succeed the first time around, keep trying. You'll get it eventually.

Hey Behl, any luck on your bud grafts?

I just put two bud grafts on a tree at Brads orchard. It’s more like shield/veneer bud graft and I put it on newer red, non hardened wood so I’m skeptical it will take but I’m hopeful it will. The wind has been blowing crazy at his place and the trees were flexing a lot in the wind. Here’s a picture before I wrapped it.

Simon
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »
Out of 10 plus bud grafts 3 or 4 looks like failed. Rest are green. Same time my clefts have pushed.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I accidentally called it a shield bud because it’s shaped like a shield but I see it’s a chip bud now. This is my first bud graft for Mango but I’ve had plenty of success on citrus.

Anyone know if success rate is higher with hardened fresh green wood or with reddish new growth like in my picture?

Behl, that’s pretty good if some are still green. 10 buds would have been about two cleft grafts. If you get more than two takes, it’s a success.

Simon

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »

I should have cut away from the root stock last week.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
Yep, that's one of the main issues of budding on mango -- getting the bud eyes to spring. Cleft and veneer are better. Budding is only used when one is trying to graft commercial quantities.

Out of 10 plus bud grafts 3 or 4 looks like failed. Rest are green. Same time my clefts have pushed.
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
Yep, that's one of the main issues of budding on mango -- getting the bud eyes to spring. Cleft and veneer are better. Budding is only used when one is trying to graft commercial quantities.

couldn't agree more. also note that I got 14 out of 15 citrus grafts that took and have grown over 6 inches, which 12 out of 12 bud grafts are still in sleep. I will probably not do bud grafts going forward unless there is absolute need for it.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
The only two times I seriously cut myself while propagating was while I was cutting away from my body, but not away from one of my fingers.

I normally cut towards my body, but with my thumb and wrist flexed in a curve.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
couldn't agree more. also note that I got 14 out of 15 citrus grafts that took and have grown over 6 inches, which 12 out of 12 bud grafts are still in sleep. I will probably not do bud grafts going forward unless there is absolute need for it.

Nice job.  Been t-budding citrus since the 80's.  My favorite, no-brainer go-to for citrus.  I had citrus grafts last year go from a bud to 4' in 3 months last year.

Choice of wood is important using the previous push, not the current one.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
I’ve had some really successful bid graftsbin citrus, but the ones that fail all have mold/yeast on them at 3 weeks and never grow.

I’ve found the most reliable for me are traditional grafts (veneer is my got to). Nearly 100% take on all citrus so far except for limes (0%, 0/4).

Any tips on how to minimize yeast/mold? I had some fungus on some of my fig cuttings as well, and I got a recommendation to wash them in bleach solution before wrapping them.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
I’ve performed many successful bud grafts on Citrus and had several failures but I’ve never seen yeast or mold on the failed bud citrus grafts.

Was your source wood from CCPP or did your rootstocks have mealybug/aphids/scale or sooty mold on it? Maybe you can try prepping your budwood and rootstock branches by spraying with copper soap before grafting and wrapping your scions. I spray copper soap on any mango scions that look suspicious and then dry off with a paper towel before wrapping with parafilm or buddy tape.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »
I’ve had some really successful bid graftsbin citrus, but the ones that fail all have mold/yeast on them at 3 weeks and never grow.

I’ve found the most reliable for me are traditional grafts (veneer is my got to). Nearly 100% take on all citrus so far except for limes (0%, 0/4).

Any tips on how to minimize yeast/mold? I had some fungus on some of my fig cuttings as well, and I got a recommendation to wash them in bleach solution before wrapping them.

30 minute soak in Magnabon CS2005 1.5 tsp/gallon.  Hand dry, wrap.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2018, 01:19:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I bought some of the product you mentioned.

Simon- I received the wood from ccpp. After 3 weeks there was white semisolid growth on some of the buds and these ones never pushed. I saw similar textured stuff on fig cuttings I had this past winter and those I identified as mold.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
ok here is my report. still quite a few green buds on citrus and mangoes and no takes yet, same time clefts and veneers have pushed hard. I think buds need more stable heat which is lacking for us, we go on a roller coaster and I have been hitting lows under 50 almost daily. this time around we should be near 60 min.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
Hey Behl, have you tried to prune back the apical branches? I do that to my citrus bud grafts to re direct the energy. If they’re still green, hopefully they will push once the weather warms up. There’s another 1-2 weeks of cool cloudy weather in the forecast. May grey followed by June gloom.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
I know, it sucks. my mangoes have bloomed 3 to 4 times already and blooms dried off due to PM

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
I know, it sucks. my mangoes have bloomed 3 to 4 times already and blooms dried off due to PM

There is no reason to have such issues.  Apply a fungicide like Pristine or copper like Magnabon CS2005 if you're of the organic ilk.  If you don't add a surfactant you're just pissin' in the wind.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »

Simon
[/quote]

Simon, can you update the chip buds that you did, when you have the time, please.
It has been about a month I did chip bud grafts. I took off the parafilm today. It looks like I have about 50% of the buds still green
I pinched off the top tip growth
I also have some side new growths. Should I take off all of it to force the buds to growth?
What is the best thing to do to force the buds?

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 02:19:30 AM »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »

I'd be putting some kind of clamp on to keep that thing stationery.  Any little movement or friction between your rootstock and chip is gonna tear any tissue connection/callousing that is or was going on.    I am using a thick rubber band and/or clothespins with much success to really clamp down on the union, no matter what the technique is.  I remove them about 14-21 days after I do the graft.

Just T-bud grafted 5 Persian lime scions to an older Meyer lemon tree.  I first wrap with parafilm/buddy tape and then apply the clamps on each side of the scion bud/node.  The flaps close over nicely, wrap around the sliver holding the dormant bud.  If I was doing mango I'd choose a rootstock branch no thicker than 1/2".  I chose "rootstock" branches 3/8" thick.  Bark is slipping really clean and easy now.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »
Hi Mark, if you are using buddy tape  why do you   need the cloths pins???