Author Topic: WTB - Pitomba  (Read 2686 times)

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
WTB - Pitomba
« on: September 14, 2020, 01:44:09 PM »
Looking to get this plant.  The larger the better.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: WTB - Pitomba
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
If you can't source a large one I have load of seedlings here in Santa Barbara. Tons of them. Lots of other eugenias if you're searching too.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »
I have a flowering 4 foot one in a pot.

sotasty8

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
Joe, did you have luck sourcing a larger Pitomba?
Also looking, if anyone has a recommendation from someone that is willing to ship?
Thanks.

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 08:58:12 PM »
@sotasty8 have you tried o leary tropicals in PHX, I'd assume he might have some

@Joe_OC have you tried champa/mimosa?

sotasty8

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
@sotasty8 have you tried o leary tropicals in PHX, I'd assume he might have some

Yes, thank you. He does have some very small plants, but they grow quite slowly, so I was looking for something more mature.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 04:32:36 AM »

Yes, thank you. He does have some very small plants, but they grow quite slowly, so I was looking for something more mature.

Last I checked today, PlantOgram still has (1) 4-5 footer still in stock.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
Head to Mimosa LA, they have good size ones that are flowering right now. I bought two, one I grafted with scion

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
Good to hear, Kevin.

Sure would be nice if the 'search' function on their website at least acknowledged 'Pitomba' as part of their inventory - even if it happens to be out of stock.

Then again, if they did they might already be sold out this late into spring.

Ever dealt with their other locations? I understand that Anaheim at least is a separate entity.
Not sure about Rosemead.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
Good to hear, Kevin.

Sure would be nice if the 'search' function on their website at least acknowledged 'Pitomba' as part of their inventory - even if it happens to be out of stock.

Ever dealt with their other locations? I understand that Anaheim at least is a separate entity.
Not sure about Rosemead.

It's at the bottom in their plant list. They had maybe 8-10 left when I scooped my second one from them. I have been to both locations, but I think the LA one is better. None of the nurseries in LA are very good at updating their stock, Champa's "Special" ended March 31st.

They have actually a lot of really nice plants at the LA Mimosa. There were some large flowering / fruit set 15 gallon grumichamas that were really nice. Champa's are all stupid long and leggy compared and I sort of regret buying them in a way. They were super cheap. Other stuff they have, like jaboticaba, are REALLY expensive compared to Champa. That said, I found some grimals and one branca vinho 5 gallon when I was there last and thought they were fairly priced.

Kind of a weird market.

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 04:52:50 PM »
Good to hear, Kevin.

Not sure about Rosemead.

Champa is good to deal with over the phone, Mimosa is hit or miss, and like Kevin said.. none of them really update their sites in a timely fashion

I've been to the Rosemead one, its nice

SEEDTALKOC

• Costa Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
I have a few of them located in Costa Mesa flowering. First year flowering they are 3-4 ft tall
Located in Costa Mesa

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 02:08:50 AM »
SEEDTALKOC - I sent you a PM.  Still looking for a Pitomba.

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 04:21:37 PM »

To Joe - and those of you who might still be shopping for Pitomba, I just took delivery of mine from PlantOgram today.
It's about 5' tall potted. See attached photo for reference - assuming it works.

I debated for a while about the hefty shipping and certificate costs involved, but decided that the cost of a trip down to Mimosa amounted to the same thing for me - coming from the SF Bay Area.

As for the condition of the tree itself - I found one (unaccountably) scorched leaf on the thing, but otherwise it seems well looked after - if still a bit leggy. It's the first thing I've purchased from POG and I'm happy enough, but if I'd already had a another reason to head to LA anytime soon, I probably would've been just as happy to try to have Mimosa hold one for me.

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »
Thanks, Pedro.  I picked one up from Mimosa LA.  I knew they had them when I was there late last year.  I figure I would let them acclimate and winter at the nursery to see how they would do.  They grew quite a bit.  Some with flowers.  My plant is about three feet tall at the soil line.  As usual, I picked the one with the thickest caliper trunk.  They were priced at $85.  I am happy with the purchase.  It allowed me to get another grumichama for a really good price. 

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 04:54:03 PM »
Good deal, Joe.

Funny you should mention it, but buying a Grumi - along with the Pitomba - would've been the one thing that would've tipped the deal in favor of Mimosa for me. I'd be curious to hear from you when the Grumichama starts to bear, since I seem to hear that they - and probably Pitomba too - are somewhat variable. There are probably some reliable named varieties I'm not aware of, but nobody seems to be making their living selling them yet.

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »
Good deal, Joe.

Funny you should mention it, but buying a Grumi - along with the Pitomba - would've been the one thing that would've tipped the deal in favor of Mimosa for me. I'd be curious to hear from you when the Grumichama starts to bear, since I seem to hear that they - and probably Pitomba too - are somewhat variable. There are probably some reliable named varieties I'm not aware of, but nobody seems to be making their living selling them yet.

Mimosa has fruiting/fruit-set Grumichamas.. I got a 7gal from champa that is like 6ft+ now but it decided to only grow vegetatively/no flowers despite heavy watering, I didn't feed it anything either but I think it just decided to do its own thing..

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Definitely have to make a dedicated fruit forest run sooner than later - and finally make time to head as far afield as Ong and Bonita Creek.

Surfing always seems to get in the way of my best intentions...

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
My 7 gal bought from champa early last year is holding fruits. I potted it in 15 gal soon after purchasing. It flowered last year but didn’t fruit. I looked at it closely yesterday and saw fruits hanging, it has become a tall tree ~9’ high from bottom of the pot. Jimmy @ Champa honors previously advertised sale pricing until a new one is posted.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
Bet it’s really skinny too, seems like a lot of Champa’s trees are tall and lanky, I think they pack them in too tight next to each other. Also, make sure you check the root ball if you buy from them, most of the trees I saw were in way too small of pots for their size. I was going to buy a grumichama from them last year but passed because of the root bounding.
Nate

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »
It is somewhat leggy, but I don’t mind it’s shape.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 11:11:25 AM »
Hawk fish your tree looks great! Got some nice branching going on. The Grumi’s I saw last year were pencils. Good luck on the fruit I hope it taste great for you.
Nate

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
Yeah I kinda regret my first grumichama I bought from Champa. Damn thing is just falling over on itself. I'm seriously about to just hack it right down to where it can stand up straight. My second one was thicker and stronger but is building a lot of leaf this year and is also falling over (it tried to flower and I saw signs but none came out).

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
Mine was leggy as well and required additional staking. It rebounded to this quickly in 50:50 mix of worm gold plus and pro-mix.

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »
My 7 gal bought from champa early last year is holding fruits. I potted it in 15 gal soon after purchasing. It flowered last year but didn’t fruit. I looked at it closely yesterday and saw fruits hanging, it has become a tall tree ~9’ high from bottom of the pot. Jimmy @ Champa honors previously advertised sale pricing until a new one is posted.

I bought one of those 7gals as well, also moved it into a 15gal, its about the same size as yours, I didn't really feed it anything it didn't flower for me this spring though.. what did you feed yours?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk