Author Topic: Fruit hunting in Iowa?  (Read 2363 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Fruit hunting in Iowa?
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »
Mid September I'll be coming to Iowa for work. Anyone know of anyone growing anything interesting or any markets to check out? I'll have a car and a lot of free time, so anywhere within a few hours of the Des Moines area is fair game for me. I'm excited about tracking some pawpaws if anyone knows a good place, but other uncommon fruit would also be great!

- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit hunting in Iowa?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
Good luck in Iowa! You might find some pawpaws. Look for woods and creeks, especially where forests border fields/clearings...look along this interface.

That's about all I can offer.

If you make it to Nashville any time, please let me know! I'd love to go Pawpaw and Maypop hunting with you.

EDIT: I would add that you may not find any ripe pawpaws in mid-September. Especially being a cooler zone, they may ripen even later in Iowa if you can find them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:22:03 PM by Triloba Tracker »

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
Good luck in Iowa! You might find some pawpaws. Look for woods and creeks, especially where forests border fields/clearings...look along this interface.

If you make it to Nashville any time, please let me know! I'd love to go Pawpaw and Maypop hunting with you.

EDIT: I would add that you may not find any ripe pawpaws in mid-September. Especially being a cooler zone, they may ripen even later in Iowa if you can find them.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll be there around the 19th. If there aren't paw paws there,  I may wander off to the paw paw festival in Ohio the week before. And definitely, always happy to fruit hunt with some company. I don't have plans to visit TN anytime soon, but I do make my way out that way every once and a while.
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

Thanks for the tip!  I'll be there around the 19th. If there aren't paw paws there,  I may wander off to the paw paw festival in Ohio the week before. And definitely, always happy to fruit hunt with some company. I don't have plans to visit TN anytime soon, but I do make my way out that way every once and a while.

Looks like Iowa is on the extreme Northwestern range of the pawpaw, so definitely look hard.

I am considering going to the Ohio Pawpaw Festival myself this year. I'll keep you posted if so.