Author Topic: Watering them mango trees south florida & mulch  (Read 866 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Watering them mango trees south florida & mulch
« on: April 07, 2021, 04:12:17 PM »
I've been watering & spraying leaves on all my mangos for weeks.  I take it i'm not alone.
I don't have mulch around any of them.  If it helps, what's your favorite?  Bushel Stop's close enough.

Ed

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Watering them mango trees south florida & mulch
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
I've been watering & spraying leaves on all my mangos for weeks.  I take it i'm not alone.
I don't have mulch around any of them.  If it helps, what's your favorite?  Bushel Stop's close enough.

Ed

Ed, is there a problem you're trying to solve? Everyone here is watering and mulching we just have to wait for water from above.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:51:33 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »
Gnappi, yes, waiting for liquid gold to fall.
Problems i'll say just trying to avoid.  Newly planted & big ol Kent that's holding more fruit then ever, so happy to see it fruitful, i'd cry if they fall from lack of water. 
Wondering how you professional farm guys are doing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:06:47 PM by EddieF »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »
My trees that are not carrying fruit I water twice a week. The ones that are carrying fruit I've watered once this month around the base and not on the leaves for fear of starting a fungal issue. I've been wondering the same thing. They say a mature mango tree doesn't need watering during the dry season makes the flavor  more intense but after three or four months of drought. I wouldn't think giving them a drink would not be catastrophic. Do the mango Groove people have a rule of thumb on different stages of tree growth and water requirements of various ages or sized mango trees.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:07:21 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 08:26:08 PM »
My trees that are not carrying fruit I water twice a week. The ones that are carrying fruit I've watered once this month around the base and not on the leaves for fear of starting a fungal issue. I've been wondering the same thing. They say a mature mango tree doesn't need watering during the dry season makes the flavor  more intense but after three or four months of drought. I wouldn't think giving them a drink would not be catastrophic. Do the mango Groove people have a rule of thumb on different stages of tree growth and water requirements of various ages or sized mango trees.

Yeah, I'm seeing a bit of unusual fruit drop, but I'm watering conservatively (I have a well)  but it's a fine line between having mango and possibly causing a sink hole :-)
Regards,

Gary

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
I put in mulch then a forest system of understory plants under my mangos and stopped watering. They have roots down pretty deep and ground water is only six feet deep. All pruning falls under the trees. Seems to be working so far.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:06:57 PM »
Pine, that looks very cool.  How many mangos on that pruned clean tree?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
Pine, that looks very cool.  How many mangos on that pruned clean tree?
That was off season a year or so ago. If I recall correctly it is Falan mango and is carrying some good fruit set so far this year.