Author Topic: Wekiwa vs OroBlanco  (Read 791 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Wekiwa vs OroBlanco
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:07:31 PM »
I’m wondering which of these varieties I should buy? I am lacking a grapefruit/pomelo in my collection and seem to have narrowed to these. Of course I will be growing in containers, currently both available to me on dwarf/semi dwarf rootstock. Does anyone possibly own each tree, or can give me a comparative flavor profile? As well as if they’re good containerized varieties or not.

Thanks to all!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Wekiwa vs OroBlanco
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:37:09 PM »
My relative out in CA has an oro blanco tree and it is my favorite citrus fruit. The fruit quality has been good every time I tasted it except once when it was left on the tree too long. It has very low acid imo. Tasted sooooo good that I even bought budwood from CCPP, but after a year the bud graft still hasn't pushed... :(

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 08:00:34 AM »
Most tangelos are mandarin X orange and their flavor is pretty much mandarin orange in various ways.
 Wekiwa is quite different, Sweet mild grapefruit without the bitterness and a hint or dash of something heading away from graperfruit.
Its a nice hybrid fruit because it doesn't just taste 50/50 like it parents but creates a new flavor.
For that reason I would rate it over Oroblanco.
If you want a type of grapefruit or pummelo, Oroblanco is closer in flavor.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:23:06 PM by pagnr »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 09:11:39 AM »
I have both trees, but no fruit yet on the Wekiwa. I have another variety that I think tastes better, its the Melogold. It tastes much better than the OroBlanco and is an improvement in flavor (at least for my taste, very sweet).

Both OroBlanco and Melogold trees fruit heavily so you will have lots of fruits to eat. One year when I didn't trim back the OroBlanco tree, on a large branch had 110 fruits, just before the fruits got ripe, the entire branch (2" diameter) broke off. Here's a photo of another grapefruit I like, its called Cocktail grapefruit (mandalo). This tree has lots of fruit as well, I did take a photo of the 32 fruits on one branch of this one.