Author Topic: Mango topworking without water shoots  (Read 2280 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Mango topworking without water shoots
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:44 PM »
There was some earlier discussion on this but most replies concerned waiting for the water shoots to graft onto.  I plan on grafting a few varieties onto a mature tree while in Thailand after some pruning.  I will not have the luxury to wait for any new growth for grafting but will need to do some type of bark graft.

Adam mentioned that he might try this.  There is a little out on the web for mango but most deal with apples and avocado.  Will these same bark graft techniques work fine for mango?  Thanks

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Mango topworking without water shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
I remember seeing a YouTube video of someone grafting mangos by cutting a flap of younger thin (1/8" thick) woody bark, cutting the end of the scion like you would for a whip graft, and inserting it into the flap. The trunk the graft was done on was around 3 inches, iirc.  I will try to find it tonight.
Brandon

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
I've top-worked a couple of trees on my farm without waiting for new shoots.  My success was around 30% on approximately 20 grafts.  Here's how we did it:

We  cut the scion the same as we would for a cleft/wedge graft.  On the rootstock, we made two vertical cuts through the bark.  We lifted the bark, inserted the scion, and wrapped the wound as tight as we could with old tire rubber.

In hindsight, to improve our success, we should have put three or four scions on the above branch, then wrapped.

A similar method was good when the rootstocks of my young trees were too thick for cleft grafting.

I prefer cleft grafting in part because they are so strong.  Birds can land on them without concern.  The bark/veneer grafts must be wrapped well to prevent accidental movement of the scion.

As with any mango grafting, for best results the rootstock must be in a growth flush and the scion buds swollen, ready for their growth spurt.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:37:34 PM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:30 AM »

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »
thanks for the responses.  We will be keeping the original tree...just pruning it back to a more manageable size.  Some of the branches that are cut off will be used to graft upon.  The interesting part of the bark grafting portion of the video was when they said to cut down the rest of the tree after the scions flushed several times.  Better be some darn good cutting!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:40:41 PM »
Here is the video I was referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZJVD1zSLk
Brandon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
I tried this method shown in the video, and got the orange sap oozing that they did and it (the sap) spoiled the graft, and the scion died in every case.

Regards,

Gary