Author Topic: Mango Grafting Weekend  (Read 4837 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Mango Grafting Weekend
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »
This weekend two guys from Fiji's Department of Agriculture helped me graft mangos on my farm. Allow me to share what we did.

For background, my partner and I have a 15 acre seaside hobby farm in Fiji.  In a 4 acre section near my home I am planting mostly dooryard fruit, while focusing on citrus, mango and avocado for the remainder. The farm also has an area with a low water table and shade for those that need it (cocoa, mangosteen, jaboticaba) and a higher-elevation area for native fruits and those that need wind protection (Fijian Longan, Rambutan).

I asked for help, since my prior mango grafting success record has been poor (~20%), compared to 50% on avocado and 80%-90% on citrus.

They came with enough scions for the 117 in-ground rootstocks plus some extra.  We had 4 varieties of scions, in approximately equal numbers:  Mapulehu, Kensington Pride, Nam Doc Mai, and Baramasi.

The rootstocks are all 'Fiji mango' - very fibrous but well-suited to the climate.  The rootstocks were in the ground, since I had a powdery mildew problem last year in the shade house and planted them before it became to severe. This meant walking from tree to tree in the field.  My farm hand and I assisted the two grafters as we could.

Almost all the seedling grafts were cleft grafts.  They brought their own tape, and didn't like my Parafilm for mango because it didn't 'bounce back' like their tape did.  I don't know the name of their tape, but after stretched it would contract to tighten on the graft much more than Parafilm.  It was made by Donco but I couldn't find the specific tape on the web. It wasn't a sticky tape and needed to be tied.

They also criticized my knife as not being sharp enough, though I was proud of my sharpening skillls (plenty sharp for kitchen use, too!).   They preferred sandpaper for sharpening.  Something like the 'Scary Sharp' method.   

We also did a few bark grafts when the diameter of the rootstock and scion were extremely mismatched. They preferred this to matching up only one edge on a cleft graft.

We also top-worked one young tree in my yard.  On this, they preferred bark grafts.

The Ag guys expectations for success on the grafts ranged from 70% to 90%.   Even 70% would be great, from my perspective, and we'll do another round to fill the holes in a few months. This is a great step forward for my farm.  Thank you for reading this far.

John

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:28:23 AM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mango Grafting Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
Sounds like a great job done John! Where did you get the Mapulehu? That's a famous Hawaiian cultivar with wonderful aroma and taste.  :-*  Are you able to take scions back to Fiji? If so you might want to get some mango scions from me next time in the states, i've got over 50 cultivars. I also have maprang (Bouea macrophylla) scion wood now., just added it to my scion list. BTW my maprangs are fruiting for the first time.  :) I'll try to post photos later.
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
Lucky you, John - to have these two gentlemen offer to graft for you!
Can't wait to here about your success rate.  I'm batting about .200
myself (that would be 20% takes) on my mango grafting.....

Gary

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:07:44 AM »
Sounds like a great job done John! Where did you get the Mapulehu? That's a famous Hawaiian cultivar with wonderful aroma and taste.  :-*  Are you able to take scions back to Fiji? If so you might want to get some mango scions from me next time in the states, i've got over 50 cultivars. I also have maprang (Bouea macrophylla) scion wood now., just added it to my scion list. BTW my maprangs are fruiting for the first time.  :) I'll try to post photos later.

The Ag guys brought the Mapulehu and other scions from their research station in Nadi.   

I wish I could bring scions from overseas to Fiji, but the biosecurity is very tight -- too easy and no risk for them to say 'no' and no reward for saying 'yes'.  If I can get a permit, expect a visit from me to Hawaii to get some good stock!

John
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:09:32 AM by jcaldeira »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:16:47 AM »

The Ag guys brought the Mapulehu and other scions from their research station in Nadi.   

I wish I could bring scions from overseas to Fiji, but the biosecurity is very tight -- too easy and no risk for them to say 'no' and no reward for saying 'yes'.  If I can get a permit, expect a visit from me to Hawaii to get some good stock!

John

Hi John, ofcourse you're welcome anytime to come over for a visit. End of September would be a great time for a visit as the HTFG combined with CRFG fruit conference will be happening then in Hawaii. If your ag dept. has Mapulehu they might also have other Hawaiian cultivars? Do they have a list of what they have available that they can supply you with?
Oscar

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Wow John, Great Work!!

It was great to read about all the work that went into doing so many grafts on your mango trees.  You came away with some nice varieties too. I loved the Pics; they were an added bonus as they helped me see what you were talking about  (different grafts).  8)

Good Luck... keep us posted on how the grafts fare.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
Great Job! Thanks for sharing the great mango graft off experience John. ;) 8) 8)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »
By the way, the grafting knife one of the Ag guys was using was made from the blade of an industrial fabric cutting tool.  It was very thin and a high-quality tempered steel. 

For pruning shears/secateurs, they preferred ones that consisted of two cutting blades instead of the bypass pruners that cut one side of a stem while crushing the other.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk