Author Topic: Harvest Moon mango questions  (Read 14798 times)

Broman

• Yes, I'm a mango fanatic and I'm proud of it!
    • Florida
    • View Profile
Harvest Moon mango questions
« on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
 Can anybody give me some information on harvest Moon mango? I found one at a local nursery, it is grafted and he says it is a zill tree. The main stem is the biggest that I have ever seen on a mango tree and he says that the actual mangos are the largest mangos out of all the varieties. I am curious of the taste, fiber, size of mango, size of tree, and any information that you have,  and personal experience with. What do u like about it?
Here is the plant I found, it has very nice branch formation for a short tree. ($35)

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon mango questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »
Bump**

On way to buy this tree or Nam Doc Mai.. Anyone..?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
They are very vigorous growers. Light/poor producers of large, fiber-free fruit of excellent eating quality. Not precocious at all so don't expect fruit for a good couple years.

I like the flavor much more than nam doc Mai.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:25:10 PM by Squam256 »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
I didn't realize its a poor producer.
Do you think the production is at least okay for the door yard environment?

Either way, between the two i would say Nam Doc Mai.
Less vigorous so its easier for you to maintain.
More production
The major plus for me though is that you can eat it half ripe and its crunchy and sweet.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Can anybody give me some information on harvest Moon mango? I found one at a local nursery, it is grafted and he says it is a zill tree. The main stem is the biggest that I have ever seen on a mango tree and he says that the actual mangos are the largest mangos out of all the varieties.

I always like a thick trunk like that in a mango tree I am going to buy. And good display of leaves on it too. You don't always see this at the nursery.
A good guide for buying any fruit tree.

Perhaps others can chime in on what they have seen on Harvest Moon production.
Nam Doc Mai is more of a straight sweet flavor and not as complex as other mangoes. No acidy undertones. Still a fine mango. I know some people who really like them.
Good luck at the nursery today!

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
I didn't realize its a poor producer.
Do you think the production is at least okay for the door yard environment?

Probably enough once the tree gets some size to it. The fruit they do make are quite large.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »
They are very vigorous growers. Light/poor producers of large, fiber-free fruit of excellent eating quality. Not precocious at all so don't expect fruit for a good couple years.

I had tons of bloom and fruitlets only 2 fruits held. I was wondering what happen.....thanks for the info.

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »

I had tons of bloom and fruitlets only 2 fruits held. I was wondering what happen.....thanks for the info.

How big and how old is your tree? Also what zone do you live in? Do you have any pics of it?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:30:33 AM »
My Harvest Moon was planted 7/15/2012 and I still haven't gotten any harvestable fruit from it.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »
Mine had serious issues with anthracnose. I only tried one HM fruit but I didn't think it was special.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »

Definitely a serious problem with abscission with Harvest Moon.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
HM not on my wish list 😄
Zone 10

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »
I have had this in my yard for a few years now.  I would say 3-4 years, somewhere in that range of time.  The tree has not set fruit until this year.  I have heard good things about the mango.  It is supposedly very large and golden yellow....with its round shape justifying it's name. I don't recall tasting it, but I probably have at some point. This year it has set a decent sized crop for the size of the tree.  The tree has dropped a good bit of the fruit originally set, but that is par for the course this time of year for many mangoes.  I think I will have a good chance to try this mango produced at my home in about a month, month and a half or so.  I have had some trouble with sooty mold on the leaves, but my fruits seem not to have an anthracnose issue thus far.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:17:33 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 03:41:03 PM »
Can anybody give me some information on harvest Moon mango? I found one at a local nursery, it is grafted and he says it is a zill tree. The main stem is the biggest that I have ever seen on a mango tree and he says that the actual mangos are the largest mangos out of all the varieties. I am curious of the taste, fiber, size of mango, size of tree, and any information that you have,  and personal experience with. What do u like about it?

I have had this fruit and enjoyed it.  Large,round, fruity/floral smell, a juice factory.  Cannot comment on growth habit but the results seen in the fruit are good for me.

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 06:01:16 PM »

I have had this fruit and enjoyed it.  Large,round, fruity/floral smell, a juice factory.  Cannot comment on growth habit but the results seen in the fruit are good for me.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
Flavor is well above average, and texture is excellent.

Fruits are huge and beautiful--- a fine centerpiece at a party.

Twenty-foot trees produce a medium to good poundage of crop (but not a good number of fruits) in good years like last year.  I haven't observed them in bad years or while still small.
Har

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
I live in Palm Beach County just west of the turnpike
Ive had this tree in the ground for 5 years

1.)Its a very vigorous grower , on par with VP

2.)The fruits are huge, like small cantaloupes-  they are gorgeous fruit- pink and yellow, they keep well-I've mailed some without issue

3.)the flavor is good, creamy, traditional mango, its yellow fleshed and firm , no fiber at all. - its much better if picked when ripe - totally pink and yellow with no green on it.  I don't think the taste is nearly as good as Lemon Zest, for example but its completely different.

4.) For me, its been an excellent producer- I have a lot of fruit on it right now. I know that isn't universal. The tree is planted next to VP, which has hardly any fruit on it this year.

Ill post a photo this evening to show you

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
Mine had serious issues with anthracnose. I only tried one HM fruit but I didn't think it was special.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2191790/zills-mangos-whoo-hoo

Harvest Moon: This mango is stinkin delicious; sweet with a fantastic creamy consistency.

;) :D

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
:-) What I thought was HM was really sunrise. In 2011, my wife brought home 2 mangoes from Zills hpp. One was a sunrise and one was a HM, but she had forgotten which was which. Years later (2014), I finally got to try a HM from zills hpp, and I realized the mistake. Sunrise is the whoo hoo mango (I have 2 planted out :-).

Harvest Moon: This mango is stinkin delicious; sweet with a fantastic creamy consistency.

Jeff  :-)

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »
I live in Palm Beach County just west of the turnpike
Ive had this tree in the ground for 5 years

1.)Its a very vigorous grower , on par with VP

2.)The fruits are huge, like small cantaloupes-  they are gorgeous fruit- pink and yellow, they keep well-I've mailed some without issue

3.)the flavor is good, creamy, traditional mango, its yellow fleshed and firm , no fiber at all. - its much better if picked when ripe - totally pink and yellow with no green on it.  I don't think the taste is nearly as good as Lemon Zest, for example but its completely different.

4.) For me, its been an excellent producer- I have a lot of fruit on it right now. I know that isn't universal. The tree is planted next to VP, which has hardly any fruit on it this year.

Ill post a photo this evening to show you

That would be great, I would love to see the tree and what the fruit might look like. The nursery where I bought it could not tell me much about the tree it's self, just what info he got from Zill I guess. He did say the mangoes are absolutely huge though. The trees girth is amazing, I've have never seen a grafted tree so large. It makes me think the tree is going to get huge quick :)

For some odd reason there is not much information or pictures of "Harvest Moon Mango" anywhere. I wish I could find more info. Please share some photos when you get a chance, it would be much appreciated!!

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
:-) What I thought was HM was really sunrise. In 2011, my wife brought home 2 mangoes from Zills hpp. One was a sunrise and one was a HM, but she had forgotten which was which. Years later (2014), I finally got to try a HM from zills hpp, and I realized the mistake. Sunrise is the whoo hoo mango (I have 2 planted out :-).

So you did not like the mango or you did like it?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »
This one has 17 fruit on it at 7-8 ft tall. It should be noted that only about 50% of the canopy bloomed:

I have one in Loxahatchee around the same size with zero fruit on it.

They are a favorite target of Sri Lankan weevils.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:49:36 PM by Squam256 »

naturelover

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:25 PM »

naturelover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »

naturelover