Author Topic: Covid and seed trade...  (Read 2100 times)

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
Covid and seed trade...
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:48:50 AM »
hi folks, i would just like to know how Covid 19 affected on rare fruiting and seeds trade, feel free to express ur experiences... :-[

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Covid and seed trade...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »
I don't receive almost anything here from anywere, even from US! I give up from now. Even european nurseries stop to send plants and trees.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »
Here in my área and I think almost all of France, the post office center have been stopped  , all is completely closed  .

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »

Here we are close to shut down completely.Not alowed even to get out of the house if your over 65 yrs old.
Last night at 1:30 i got to the gas station to buy a bottle of booze and police officers were there asking me if i have a signed paper with the reason i got out.
I didnt had the document but they let me pass without without giving me a fee to pay wich its 1500 dollars equivalent.
For the next month and a half it will be like this or even worse.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Yes. Strict lockdown and wash hands it's the only thing we can make to get safe!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:24 AM »
I just ordered seeds from eBay and Baker Creek.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »
Perhaps the Russians, as always, are careless and do not pay attention to it. There are a lot of people on the streets, there is no excitement in the shops, only four people were in gauze masks. Mail is working fine. Parcels from other countries arrive without interruption.
❀ Sergey ❀

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
Russia has few cases thats why people still doing their normal job.Here it was the same before we got more and more cases.
Most annoying was that a lot of people told to stay isolated  at home for 2 weeks ( not quarantined)got bored and started to get out so the laws became tougher thogh in Romania we dont have that manny cases as in the western Europe.
The police fee its 5000 euro in case your isolated and get out
For quarantined people that try to run its not about monney anymore but up to 15 years of jail.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
The mail system in the US is working.  Postal workers accepting packages yesterday with no gloves or masks on!
Brad Spaugh

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
here is the same as romania, with the only difference being that the fine if you dont have the paper for the reason you are going out the fine is 150€. I have also ordered some plants from italy that i dont think will come anytime soon... If this lasts until summer the spring season for planting will be lost..

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
My county hasn't been affected much yet (3 cases) but I am an hour north of sacramento so it's just a matter of time.
With less packages coming in my mail has been arriving early every day.
It's interesting to see so many people at home - with decent weather lately the streets are crowded with people walking outside, doing yard work, washing cars. I haven't seen that many people outside in a long time.
-Kris

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
Post office working regular hours here in Mexico and taking shipments international allowed
El verde es vida!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
Indeed, don't tell yourself that the mailings are ok.
Because in 2 or 3 days it can close completely with scions that will finally arrive too late and this is the case for 3 of my mailings.
To say that international shipments are possible is false. Because if at Mr. x it is possible to send but at Mr. y the post office is closed then the conclusion is that Mr. y will not get his mail any time soon.

In France the fine is 150 Euros and increases if repeated offence and can go up to prison.
But for France and I think many countries it is a policy of burying one's head in the sand by a very bad management of the problem.
Various professions are obliged to go to work without protection (insufficient) and not only the soldiers and doctors and in that are obliged to expose themselves (food store, some agents of the public treasury etc...).

The only way to stop the contagion is total containment. With individual test on each one, house by house carried out by the military forces is the doctor. And a food service distributed by the local police in front of each house.
Because indeed we can easily notice by going to the stores that some have stocked up and if the neighbor has nothing it is not his problem. We can quickly observe, those who have a supportive behaviour and those who only think of themselves in this kind of scenario.

It is also important to know that it is difficult to really know the number of people affected because as soon as a person has a few symptoms they are directly classified as potentially having covid-19 without a test being done.
Do not forget that when a shipment is sent, maybe the person who sent it has it without knowing it at that time.

Dear neighbors, don't do as in France where the president has an incredibly slow reaction time.

The other way to solve this problem is to let natural selection do its work, the weaker one will die and the stronger one won't.
Maybe a bit extreme but this is often what we do in our gardens with our plants.

And yes, if you haven't noticed, in Europe the rules of plant health protection are already more efficient than those for human health protection.

Finally, I pray that this evil will spare you while unfortunately knowing that this is far from being enough.

I hope all the time that you are well and that in the tranquility of your gardens and orchards, you take advantage of this time to graft. After all I doubt that it is the old oak or the Pomona tree that brings you the evil of the moment.

In short, if grafting is used to unite, weld, weave a link between a rootstock and a graft. And well for those of childcare or in their own exploitation with their kids. It can be a convivial moment to teach the future generation, how to unite two trees by intimate bonding .
Well that gives me an idea to replace the story of the stork or the boys born in the cabbage.

Please all of you receive my most sincere wishes and hope that it will end as soon as possible.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 05:11:43 AM »
My plants just arived from Italy (Brescia) !  So probably all is good regarding shipping plants (at least from italy to the balkans)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
Got a bunch of veggie seeds yesterday in the mail. Everyone is behind in shipping due to higher demand.

I can sanitize an envelope, open safely, and process the bags of seeds appropriately. While concerned re covid, I also want to have extra food.