Author Topic: Birthday Mangos and Guerilla Mango Idea  (Read 1209 times)

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
Birthday Mangos and Guerilla Mango Idea
« on: August 18, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »
Hi All!

So my birthday was on the 14th and I got myself a 7 gal Lemon Meringue Mango Tree! I also drove down to Merritt Island and picked up a bunch of huge Keitt mangos. I picked up 3 Osteen mangos which were fine, but not my favorite. They had quite an enjoyable spicy flavor but had a slightly stringy flesh and not as sweet as some more popular varieties. It did have passionfruit tones too which were pretty delicious. The Keitts are delicious but when I picked up the PPK they also gave me a Kent mango they picked off the tree that was just perfectly ripe. It was the best mango I've had so far (though I haven't had many). I'm attaching a picture of the tree, which I just planted in a 40 gallon pot as a temporary home for the year for some complicated reasons.

Anyways, I also wanted to see what people thought because I have an idea for guerilla gardening in my very neighborhood. There's a pretty secluded grassy area that's part of the neighborhood but is not inhabited by anyone, backed up to some bushy shrubby oak tree woods with a lake behind it. It's hard to picture but basically, nobody really goes there except the landscapers who mow the grass to a certain spot and the people that like to exercise nearby. Past that, everything grows wild. Well one day I was walking there, and I noticed that somebody had planted a bunch of pineapples there, and I saw a few fruiting which means they'd been there untouched for quite a while, and in another spot I saw a bunch of passionfruit vines growing like crazy. So I got to thinking, if I could possibly sneak down there when nobody's looking and plant something like a young Valencia Pride which grows rapidly and fruits heavily, could it become a somewhat secret mango tree? Eventually it'll get big but I just don't want people to bother it while it's starting off. It would have to be a low maintenance tree although I would like to shape it to have low branches at first, and size wouldn't matter since it's quite a huge area. I don't know my neighbors well but I know for a fact people would love a public mango tree. A lot of them have mangos planted in their yard but I can imagine having a large tree like that for those who venture down there to pick, including myself especially since several houses have very limited backyards. Our HOA is not very strict, so I don't imagine anyone having an issue with it. Most people don't notice anything like that anyways. What would you suggest? I am thinking of trying out several fruits down there like Wax Jambu and Red Mombin which I am also growing, I just want to make sure they're not invasive fruits. Please let me know what you think!

Have a good one!

- Gabe

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:56:55 AM by quesofreshcoh »
-Gabe

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Mangos and Guerilla Mango Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
Go for it. Ask forgiveness, not permission b

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:38:09 PM »
Go for it. Ask forgiveness, not permission b

+1!  ;D
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
Put out some seedlings also. The pineapples are interesting. I know another person who found some growing wild shows you how tough they are. Animals spread the crowns around.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
Go for it! Trees are always nice, specially a mango tree!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
Plant some guavas and some papayas purchase some mangoes with poly seeds next season do not invest too much in someone else's property things can change
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
-Gabe

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
Go for it! Trees are always nice, specially a mango tree!

Yes they are!! I want to throw down a seedling and if it grows, I could try grafting something onto it. I want it to look as natural as possible HAHA!
-Gabe

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 05:41:08 PM »
Put out some seedlings also. The pineapples are interesting. I know another person who found some growing wild shows you how tough they are. Animals spread the crowns around.

They are very interesting. Pineapples are crazy tough. Don't seem to be bothered by frost even though we rarely get it. We had a crazy bad freeze about 3 years ago and pineapples weren't bothered. And the fact that I found them fruiting means they'd been there a while, especially since they don't look accidentally placed by animals. There are bunnies in those same woods which might look for stuff to spread around. Lantana berries are a favorite of the wildlife there, the amount of lantana that grows there is ridiculous!
-Gabe

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Plant some guavas and some papayas purchase some mangoes with poly seeds next season do not invest too much in someone else's property things can change

Yes, papayas can be a good one too. I've seen some growing wild here. Guavas might be invasive so I might keep those to myself, plus they're at pretty much every house. I might try starfruit or something to see how that does.
-Gabe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk