Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 390424 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Grimal gets larger than most other standard types, but does bear earlier than most. Except the hybrid, which would be your best bet.

roesn

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2013, 12:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply! So are these two the most popular to grow in pots?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
Here is one of the weird looking Myrciarias that sprouted...I thought at first it could be a deficiency or too much of a certain micro-nutrient... but i've noticed the leaves are like none other I've seen...I keep waiting for the plant to grow out of it...maybe the leaf type will change?

For now it makes very small, slender, leaves...with a bit of fuzz on them...which is somewhat unusual.

I'm beginning to suspect that its a seedling of the hybrid (red jaboticaba)...after planting thousands of them, I'm realizing they have more variation than I thought...but you really have to plant thousands to notice.

Next I have to post some pics of the strange trunciflora seedling that sprouted...it's definitely unusual.  Looks like a perfect cross between M. trunciflora and the Red jabo, (M. cauliflora hybrid).  I will post pics of all three trees to show what I'm talking about.

I have got some jabos that I need to post pics of...

I have some peculiar seedlings that popped up...I can't identify them...so it's exciting for now...that is, until the leaves revert back to normal, and I realize what they are!  or maybe I'm lucky...and have a new variety...I think it will be a little of both.

I also have a grafted tree (scions taken from my friends tree) that I can't identify....it reminds me somewhat of truciflora, but the leaves are fuzzy when young...and fuzzy on the undersides when mature...also, I've seen the mother tree flower, and they don't hang from stalks...so it can't be a variety of trunciflora.

I will try to post pics by sunday

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:37:10 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
Adam in the pic that seedling looks healthy! The leaves are nice and dark but they seem very slender and narrow?!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #329 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
Here are a few photos of the seedling that looks like a perfect cross between M. trunciflora and the Red jabo, (M. cauliflora hybrid)...

Notice the branching habit is much more lateral than M. cauliflora, or M. jaboticaba.

the leaves of my mystery seedling have a slight fuzz, and so do them new stems...but they are elongated like M. trunciflora...

here is a true M. trunciflora, notice the stems and leaves don't have any fuzz.

it maybe difficult to tell, but one more difference I see, is the nerves on the leaves...the mystery seedling (on the left) has more prominent venation, than the true M. trunclfora on the right, which has very discreet venation.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
There are at least 7 named M.trunciflora varieties that are supposed to have different characteristics such as leaf form. You never know it could one of the more aberrant types.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 03, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
Adam, I noticed that my ten year old jabo that hasn't fruited yet has started peeling on the trunk and branches more than ever. Also, it seems like there is a slight color change to the bark underneath. It's seems a lot whiter than it use to be. Does the jabo go through different stages of peeling as it matures? This is the most it has peeled but still hasn't put out a flower yet?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:40:07 PM by mikesid »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #332 on: January 03, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
There are at least 7 named M.trunciflora varieties that are supposed to have different characteristics such as leaf form. You never know it could one of the more aberrant types.

how could a new variety of trunciflora originate from a tree that's isolated (from other truncifloras)?  I would have had to plant seeds from a different source to get a new variety....every single seed I've planted from this tree has come up the same....except this one.

I've never even ordered or planted trunciflora seeds from an outside source...I've only planted ones from a local tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »

how could a new variety of trunciflora originate from a tree that's isolated (from other truncifloras)?  I would have had to plant seeds from a different source to get a new variety....every single seed I've planted from this tree has come up the same....except this one.

I've never even ordered or planted trunciflora seeds from an outside source...I've only planted ones from a local tree.

If all the others are the same, then there could be a mutation that ocurred. Also, pollen has a way of getting around sometimes.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
Sorry Adam I missed the bit where it is an unusual seedling from the same source.Guess it must be a cross then.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
Adam, I noticed that my ten year old jabo that hasn't fruited yet has started peeling on the trunk and branches more than ever. Also, it seems like there is a slight color change to the bark underneath. It's seems a lot whiter than it use to be. Does the jabo go through different stages of peeling as it matures? This is the most it has peeled but still hasn't put out a flower yet?

that's a good sign...peeling is real good..means your tree is bursting at the seems...getting proper food and irrigation...and most likely u have a decent pH.

just keep that truck free of suckers...really try to maximize the amount of light that can penetrate the big old branches.

that joker should fruit this year....
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #336 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »
Sorry Adam I missed the bit where it is an unusual seedling from the same source.Guess it must be a cross then.

Mike...I'm not convinced it's a cross yet...but that's my only guess.  I can't figure it out otherwise...because it looks just like a trunciflora...especially the lateral branching habit...and the elongated foliage...and weeping appearance.

I will be more convinced it's a cross when I see some enlongated peduncles on the bark...and especially if the tree fruits much sooner than a normal trunciflora...I will be happy to have that trait from the Red jabo.

I will be totally convinced once I can analyze the DNA..and apply for a patent...LOL (In my dreams)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #337 on: January 03, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

Here is one more jaboticaba I can't ID...I got it from a scion, from a friend and collector of Plinia species.

the foliage is quite fuzzy...and reminds me of trunciflora, being elongated...but I've seen the mother tree flower, and it doesn't have elongated peduncles...instead the flowers have very short peduncles, even shorter than the Red and Sabara...I've actually never seen a jabo flower so close to the bark, in very tight clusters.

Below is a seedling M. grandifolia, I posted a picture because it's the only species I've seen that resembles this mystery jabo, mainly because the foliage is hairy when new...but grandifolia makes much larger leaves than my mystery tree...and the bark has a totally different appearance.

and check out the variation between these two aureana trees...the first one has smoother looking, almost hairless new growth, and smaller leaves,

the second one has much more fuzzy leaves, and impressed nerves.

and this is a supposed hybrid of Sabara (from PIN) I think it's a cross with trunciflora (but they couldn't provide me with info as to what the other parent was.)  Its recovering now from a bit of chlorosis...I just drenched it with chelated Fe a month ago.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
my oldest Red (hybrid )tree decided to pop today...after spending one night in my recently covered greenhouse...now it's attracting all sorts of bees and flies, I keep having to catch them and release them with a net...my greenhouse is a great bug trap...the greenhouse smells delicious...like a sweet melon.

That's why I love the Red jaboticaba...its easy to maintain in a pot (less than 8-10ft tall total, including pot), and it fruits all year long.  Here comes some freezing weather, so I put a few of them in a greenhouse to keep them going strong....(I left a few of them out for now...which will put them on an alternate cycle...so I can have fruit when the greenhoused trees are shutting down, from producing a huge crop in the winter).

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

Here is one more jaboticaba I can't ID...I got it from a scion, from a friend and collector of Plinia species.

the foliage is quite fuzzy...and reminds me of trunciflora, being elongated...but I've seen the mother tree flower, and it doesn't have elongated peduncles...instead the flowers have very short peduncles, even shorter than the Red and Sabara...I've actually never seen a jabo flower so close to the bark, in very tight clusters.

Below is a seedling M. grandifolia, I posted a picture because it's the only species I've seen that resembles this mystery jabo, mainly because the foliage is hairy when new...but grandifolia makes much larger leaves than my mystery tree...and the bark has a totally different appearance.

and check out the variation between these two aureana trees...the first one has smoother looking, almost hairless new growth, and smaller leaves,

the second one has much more fuzzy leaves, and impressed nerves.

and this is a supposed hybrid of Sabara (from PIN) I think it's a cross with trunciflora (but they couldn't provide me with info as to what the other parent was.)  Its recovering now from a bit of chlorosis...I just drenched it with chelated Fe a month ago.

Wow! I'm so envious of your collection of so many varieties.
Rock

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Wow! Beautiful.  I like your idea about leaving some in and some out of the greenhouse.   Low temp here last night was 33.5.  It was a good practice run.

my oldest Red (hybrid )tree decided to pop today...after spending one night in my recently covered greenhouse...now it's attracting all sorts of bees and flies, I keep having to catch them and release them with a net...my greenhouse is a great bug trap...the greenhouse smells delicious...like a sweet melon.

That's why I love the Red jaboticaba...its easy to maintain in a pot (less than 8-10ft tall total, including pot), and it fruits all year long.  Here comes some freezing weather, so I put a few of them in a greenhouse to keep them going strong....(I left a few of them out for now...which will put them on an alternate cycle...so I can have fruit when the greenhoused trees are shutting down, from producing a huge crop in the winter).

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Fruithunter,

thanks!!  I got very lucky and met some serious Plinia/Myrciaria collectors in FL.....so I really got a helping hand....I wouldn't have such diversity without their generosity!!

Val,

thanks!!  Yes last night was a good practice run!  But it could have been fatal for my tiny guanabana seedlings!  I left out some sensitive stuff for the freeze just to see what would happen.

Wow! Beautiful.  I like your idea about leaving some in and some out of the greenhouse.   Low temp here last night was 33.5.  It was a good practice run.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:56:55 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »
Here is a pic (sorry the contrast is so poor) from a few days ago, it's of Red Jabo I gave to my friend a few years back...now its about 4ft tall...3.5yrs old...planted in about 50% shade...right beneath the canopy of a large oak tree...it finally decided to start flowering.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Here is a pic (sorry the contrast is so poor) from a few days ago, it's of Red Jabo I gave to my friend a few years back...now its about 4ft tall...3.5yrs old...planted in about 50% shade...right beneath the canopy of a large oak tree...it finally decided to start flowering.

Thanks for the information! Adam, its good to hear its flowering and compatible being close by an oak. I may do something similar to a few of the jabos I have not planted out yet.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »
here is an interesting observation about Myrciaria trunciflora...

I notice that it makes large fissures, near the crotches of the branches...at first I thought my tree was sickly..maybe a fungal infection...but I looked at several other trees and noticed that all Myrciaria truncifloras do this.

It's actually a sign that the tree is growing vigorously...so fast that the bark splits from within.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:05 PM »
here is a grafted trunciflora, with scions taken from a totally different tree.....it's also splitting like my large seedling truncilfora.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
Adam,

You been taking those cafe jabos to the gym lately, cuz they lookin ripped!  :D
James

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
After 3 years of grafting Myrciarias/Plinias, I've come to realize that the most precocious species still take about 2 yrs to flower, from grafting...but I think it will take an additional year or two, for them to achieve decent fruit set.  It's still exciting to see them flowering so early!

Here is a small Hybrid Jaboticaba that's started to flower...about 1.5 yrs from grafting.

you can just see some of the flower buds, right above the graft union to the left, and some other buds forming up a bit higher, on the right side of the trunk)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »
Wow, I have to say that I'm impressed. I wonder if what lead to this early flowering was the seed type, a special technique of conditions of soil, water, fertilizer, sun, etc. Or, a combination of the above. Anyhow, very nice, good job.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 04, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
Very Cool Adam, all the great infor & pic's of your Jabo's, perhaps you can tell us a little more about you soil and fertilizer program ( and not have to kill me later). Because you sure can grow those Jabo's!!! Great post keep up the great work!! Very interesting seedling going on there hope you end up with a new hybrid!! ;) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk