Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 389808 times)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:51 PM »
Thanks Adam for the good advice.

Jack

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 05, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Thanks Adam, one more question.  What about M. Coronata? :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #427 on: June 05, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »
Thanks Adam, one more question.  What about M. Coronata? :)

what about it?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 05, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »
Can they take full sun?  In your experience, what's the preferable water?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #429 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
Can they take full sun?  In your experience, what's the preferable water?

seems to handle full sun very well...but can also fruit in some shade....I think full sun is probably best.

They seem to enjoy plenty of water...and a ph of about 6-6.5.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Vietnamese Dragon fruit

• Long an, south of Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
hi all of my friends!
 I'm newcomer to this forum and also like Jaboticaba! I have just gotten these two Jabos' (about 1 year); wonder what kind of these Jabos' and how about the fruit in the future???!!
Please give me some ideas about these, all comments are wellcome!

Close up to the leaves!

thanks you very much and best regard!
you can do it

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
tasted my first jabos this weekend.  Vexator was a big two thumbs down, but sabara was quite tasty.  I even ate the sabara skin when i was done.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
Hi Jeff, thanks for the report. I read many times on the net that vexator is a very good fruit, even better than sabara... so, maybe there are some variations and/or your fruit came from a tree that lacks on some nutrient...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:12 AM »
the flsh did taste of blueberry yogurt. but there's not much flesh and the skin is insipid.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
Hi everyone, My name is Russell and I am only just coming to acceptance and now am able to admit I have a problem with jaboholisim. First step: admittance second step: the hunt third step: take a look

blue and black pots M.vexator, red pots Red Hybrid, purple pots Grimal, larger plant in orange pot Cambuca, small plant in orange pot P.rivularis(?) Um maybe.

These I are my M.aureana

Coronata

Not sure whats what yet but there is M.trunciflora and M.grandiflora

my M.glazioviana

I think front one is Grimal Back one I think is Sabara

and this ones a mystery

I also have some seeds from that Plinia sp. Shawi, I hope they are the real deal. Hope you all like my babies and a big thanks to Mike and Bruce for your contributions to my collection. Thanks all

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:48:45 PM by rac78 »
Russell

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
Welcome Russell! that looks wow! When I subscribed to this group, I only had 3 plants of just one species: myrciaria jaboticaba, now (only 1 year later) I have many plants and 6 species, so this is an addiction for sure :)
ONLINE SHOP:

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
Russ, looks like they came through the bare rooting with flying colours. They should recover well in a Cairns winter. It just dropped to 4c here last night, so they must be breathing a sigh of relief that they've woken up in warmer climes. I hope the guaquea survived the trip too.

Yes, the Grimal is at the front of your pic and the Sabara at the back. I'd start training them already, taking the side growing branches off. Makes for a nicer plant with the ornamental trunk showing and it does seem to make them flower earlier...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2014, 01:06:54 AM »
the flsh did taste of blueberry yogurt. but there's not much flesh and the skin is insipid.

when they are cared for properly, they can have lots of flesh!  but of course skin is thick and seeds are large....I still love the flavor...and several advantages for having this tree...it makes several crops per year, it's resistant to limerock soils, , more tolerant of coastal planting (than common jabos), it is very very ornamental, the fruits can sit on the tree for a long time without rotting (unlike common jabos), and because of the durable skins, they are almost impervious to bird attacks, and fruit flies of course.

and I wouldn't call the skins insipid..more like tart/tannic, and resinous...I don't mind this...but some people really detest the oils and tannins in the skins....(but this can be avoided by cutting the fruits with a knife before eating, and then sucking out pulp and seeds!)

here are some decent sized fruits...from my container grown trees...they were full of delicious pulp...

and yes, they had two big seeds, and thick tannic skins...not even a locust would eat!  but in my opinion very worth while to eat, and to grow!

now when you get your tree in ground and get a good selection...the fruit can get closer to the size of small cambucas!  yes..the most giant fruits are usually loaded with about 3 very large seeds...but still have a nice amount of pulp to eat.  One of these fruits measured about 4cm in diameter.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »
Here is my unscholarly unqualified, unverified, uncensored unbiased unopinionated opinion....

Hi everyone, My name is Russell and I am only just coming to acceptance and now am able to admit I have a problem with jaboholisim. First step: admittance second step: the hunt third step: take a look

blue and black pots M.vexator, red pots Red Hybrid, purple pots Grimal, larger plant in orange pot Cambuca, small plant in orange pot P.rivularis(?) Um maybe.I see you got what I call the impostor P. rivularis...unlike the one described in Brazilian fruits!  but I know you will get the real one soon enough..you are an ambitious collector!

These I are my M.aureana Beautiful AUREANA....your collection has grown quickly!!!

Coronata very pretty, any idea which variety? looks like coronata to me, but not sure which one

Not sure whats what yet but there is M.trunciflora and M.grandiflorai think you are right..top two larger plants trunc...bottom Grand.

my M.glazioviana Pretty seedlings! nice yeller jabberz

I think front one is Grimal Back one I think is Sabara U R Correct SIR

and this ones a mystery
AUREANA

AUREANA

I also have some seeds from that Plinia sp. Shawi, I hope they are the real deal. Hope you all like my babies and a big thanks to Mike and Bruce for your contributions to my collection. Thanks all
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:23 AM »
Thanks Adam, good to get an Id on that last aureana. Not sure what variety the coronate is, when it comes to training the jaboticabas do I take off all small side branches leaving only the main trunk and branches? is this correct. By doing this growth should focus on these main structural branches. It scares me to snip away any growth when I'm not exactly sure. I'll get one of your P.Rivularis when I get the Chance Adam, (Fingers crossed) I'm on the hunt.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:29:10 AM by rac78 »
Russell

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »

The seedlings are quite distinctive and I just took this pic and left out red hybrid, vexator and grandiflora but put in most around the same size. Whites look a lot like Campomanesia lineatifolia,hell vexators look like Ficus benjamina. These ones would be a breeze for Adam.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »
Rack them up Rac76! Nice collection you have. Definitely you are on early stage syndrome of jabo addiction. I'm selling the anti dote. It's something simllar to that given to heroin addicts so that they don't have to go cold turkey. HAHA
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2014, 06:06:20 AM »
Russ, the coronata are restinga.
Mike, C. lineatifolia doesn't look like M. aureana. It has crinkly leaves that remind me more of mulberry or something than any jaboticaba. I noticed you had a few plants labelled with as perfume guava that was really a myrciaria...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 01, 2014, 06:40:52 AM »
BMc there is mass hallucination in Brazil as these Campomanesia came from 2 sources and I was surprised they looked like white jaboticaba from Taiwan rather than white jaboticaba var. rosa. I have a number of other Campo species that look not unlike yellow and white jaboticaba as well. My 2 coronata types look really different and the M.oblongatas look like grimals.I am pretty sure I got the C.lineatiflora correct...I think I'm sure.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
Google image search the leaves. Big and crinkly. Plus, there is a fruiting one at a mates place here, so I reckon the big crinkly leaves are spot on. Can't imagine there bei enough diversity that the same species would have large crumpled leaves and small pointed deeply indented veins on the same species?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
Bruce you're correct and I was scratching my head about that. The only explanation is someone pulled a switchero between my 3 pots of lisa white jaboticaba and 3 pots of C.lineatifolia and none of the latter sprouted. Thanks for pointing that out. Suddenly I have 6 white jaboticaba of 3 varieties planted out instead of 3 of 2 varieties.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
Russ,

I was hoping u got the M. coronata var. Restinga.

I hear this one is not as large of a tree, and is somewhat precocious...fruiting in less than 8 yrs (sometimes).

it makes a beastly fruit...bigger than most other coronatas I've seen...or any other purple fruited Myrciaria for that matter...

although there is one bigger!  I believe another type of coronata...makes fruits same size as cambuca.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:05:07 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 01, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
Saff I had seeds that didn't grow of about 5 other coronata varieties and the 2 largest fruiting types (golf ball +) were identified.I think one was gold crown and the other had giant in the variety name.There was another very large fruiting type where the name escapes me.I think the coronata x sabara is precocious.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:43 AM »
Hi guys, I am suffering a lot, see:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11683.0

really dont know what are them.... :S, sabara, paulista?

I cant sleep!
ONLINE SHOP:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #449 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:35 AM »
Great info from Cassio
"I think a good option for the pot is Jabuticaba Hybrid, which produces faster. Can u find seedlings of this variety with a metro and already producing.
But the pot needs to be large anyway, at least about 50 cm and a mouth 80 cm. ;)
Before placing the seedling in the pot, a caution: when jabuticabeira has approximately 04 years old and is on sale in those plastic containers, sometimes the taproot has hit bottom and is turning to the side. If this root get in the container wall, it will turn up and grow in the opposite direction and, rise to the surface, the seedling will die (is what they call ill of 04 years). To avoid the problem, before transplanting the seedling carefully pour and cut only the bottom of the container to see how the root. If it is turned to the side, cut it exactly at the point where they meet. Then you can plant the plant or peaceful feel. Who taught me this was the father of a colleague, who gave me two seedlings of hybrid blemish. In both, I had to cut the tip of the root as described above. See photos in which plants were felt"

"Creio que uma boa opção para vaso é a Jabuticaba Híbrida, que produz mais rápido. É possível vc encontrar mudas desta variedade com um metro e já produzindo.
Mas o vaso precisará ser grande de qualquer forma, com pelo menos uns 50 cm de boca e uns 80 cm de altura. ;)
Antes de colocar a muda no vaso, um cuidado: quando a jabuticabeira tem aproximadamente 04 anos de idade e está à venda naqueles containers plásticos, por vezes a raiz principal já atingiu o fundo e está virando para a lateral. Se esta raiz chegar na parede do container, ela irá virar para cima e crescer no sentido contrário e, se aflorar à superfície, a muda morrerá (é o que chamam de mal dos 04 anos). Para se evitar o problema, antes do transplante deite a muda com cuidado e corte apenas o fundo do container para ver como está a raiz. Se ela estiver virada para o lado, corte-a exatamente no ponto onde ela se dobra. Depois, pode plantar sossegado que a planta nem sentirá. Quem me ensinou isso foi o pai de um colega, que me deu as duas mudas de jabuticaba híbrida. Em ambas, precisei cortar a ponta da raiz conforme descrevi acima. Veja nas fotos que as plantas não sentiram"
ONLINE SHOP:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk