Author Topic: It's small. It's deformed. It's ugly.  (Read 7155 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
It's small. It's deformed. It's ugly.
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
But it is my first homegrown mango!  ;D ;D ;D

After five years of efforts, i have finally tasted my first and only fruit from my very own mango!  :D
Yes, it may not be the best looking fruit, and i do really think i have still a very long road to take before i can call myself a mango grower, but this is really a starting point! And a concrete one, not my usual wishful thinking!
Regarding the taste test, the flavor was very unevenly distributed, with some immature parts, and the mature ones that were sweet beyond belief, like eating a mango flavored candy. This little runt left me definitively craving for more!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: It's small. It's deformed. It's ugly.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »
Congratulations , its a mutant  ;D :P   

How did it taste? what variety?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Hey amigo,congrats on your first mango! Hopefully the first of many!
We can try again next year, remind me in April please, getting a courier service
Would be great as they will get to you in prime time for grafting cheers!
El verde es vida!

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Congratulations! Fruit of your labor.  Nothing beats that feeling. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
Congratulations, is that your Glenn?  I remember you have seen my Doubke Stone Graft thread, have you considered giving it a shot? That's awesome you were able to fruit a mango at your location. Any updates on your tree? Thanks for sharing!

Simon

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
Congratulations my friend! If i get one of this i will be a very happy man!  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
congrats!

you will get better fruits in the future im sure!

but it's still nice to get a small taste of something that you may never get to taste otherwise!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
mazeltov!  it can only get better from here!
treefrog land and cattle company

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
Congratulations , its a mutant  ;D :P   

Yeah! I did grow an X-man...go.  ;)
On a more serious note, my understanding is that flowers of mangoes do produce deformed fruits if they develop in a consistently cold environment.

How did it taste? what variety?

It is a Glenn... taste was very good for me, with a well round mango flavor, at least for the parts that were correctly ripened. Keep in mind that I'm not a mango expert, but considering the limited opportunities I got sitting in my house in Italy, I got my fair share of mangoes, and this topped most (if not all) of them. Definitively worth attempting to get a bigger crop!

Hey amigo,congrats on your first mango! Hopefully the first of many!

Hopefully! You have already been really kind to me and i already owe you one!  ;)

Congratulations! Fruit of your labor.  Nothing beats that feeling. 

Amen to that!

Congratulations, is that your Glenn?  I remember you have seen my Doubke Stone Graft thread, have you considered giving it a shot? That's awesome you were able to fruit a mango at your location. Any updates on your tree? Thanks for sharing!

Simon

Yeah, that's my Glenn! Regarding your methods, i keep them under constant track and i'm gonna use them for sure in the future. Right now i'm doing as you suggested for avocados, and i hope to get some healthy plants in next years. For mangoes, i need firstly to get the right genetic material for my experiments. Mostly pickering and florigon. I need especially some dependable and early flowering polyembrionic plant because fruit set is showing to be the biggest issue for me, and i hope that any poly may react better to an aborted embryo.

Congratulations my friend! If i get one of this i will be a very happy man!  ;D

It think that you may have a very real possibility to obtain that!

but it's still nice to get a small taste of something that you may never get to taste otherwise!

That's exactly the point! No way to get any tree ripened mango for me otherwise... so anything i got, is very nice!

mazeltov!  it can only get better from here!

Hopefully!!!  ;D
Italian fruit forum

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »
Complimenti Pancrazio!

I remember my first Mango was also very deformed like yours... so it can be due to the unsuitable climate we have here in mainland Europe... just keep trying and you will be rewarded!

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
Those first fruits are the best for sure!! Got my first lemon meringue, coconut cream and sugar apple this year.  Now waiting on my first bananas that are a few months away from ripening, and some red lady papayas!!  Hopefully this winter I will be able to harvest my first mulberries and loquats!!  It is very addicting and rewarding.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »
you ended up with a nice looking heart mango :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
Congrats!!! I only can see the little seed was at the heel of the 'right foot' and none of the seed extended into the bigger toes area; is this true? You might not have a full size fruit in your area but I'm sure I don't mind to have hundreds of those smaller foot shape mangoes,  in Italy of course :)

Sapote

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
Congrats Panz you dd it!! If anyone deserves to eat a home grown mango in this forum is you! As your tree establish your fruit production should improve. We've enjoy reading your progress and admire your determination.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:57:23 PM »
I have to admit that this topic title gave me a laugh before I discovered that it was about a mango.
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:10 AM »
It's small. It's deformed. It's ugly.....BUT it's still your first born. So you should still be the proud father.  ;)
Would guess that fruit was not properly pollinated. Cold temperatures can affect good pollination.
Oscar

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »
All your efforts have been reward  :D.....without the Florence June's storm you would have more fruits....interestingly you got the fruit from first flowering and not for second even if you had much more flowers of the second.
Should it be better to let the "April" flowers? How do you explain the fact that you lost all fruits of the second flowering while the only fruit from first flowering is ripen?

Anyway congrats....let's hope your experiment will last for many years :)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
I remember my first Mango was also very deformed like yours... so it can be due to the unsuitable climate we have here in mainland Europe... just keep trying and you will be rewarded!

Well, that gives me hope!
May this be the first fruit of many to come, and may this encourage as much people as possible into mango growing!

Those first fruits are the best for sure!! Got my first lemon meringue, coconut cream and sugar apple this year.  Now waiting on my first bananas that are a few months away from ripening, and some red lady papayas!!  Hopefully this winter I will be able to harvest my first mulberries and loquats!!  It is very addicting and rewarding.

Really, it is! Best thing is, first crop is probably the one that gives your most satisfaction, but next ones are the ones that give you best quality fruits, so from first crop things can only get better!

you ended up with a nice looking heart mango :)

The plant must have felt my love.  ;D

Congrats!!! I only can see the little seed was at the heel of the 'right foot' and none of the seed extended into the bigger toes area; is this true? You might not have a full size fruit in your area but I'm sure I don't mind to have hundreds of those smaller foot shape mangoes,  in Italy of course :)

I got a seed in both of the two lobes of the fruits, and apart from their connection, they were pretty normal. Opening it was a bit a surprise for me too because when a fruit is so heavily deformed, you don't really know what to expect.

Congrats Panz you dd it!! If anyone deserves to eat a home grown mango in this forum is you! As your tree establish your fruit production should improve. We've enjoy reading your progress and admire your determination.

Thank you for your kind words! I really hope to have some mild winters in future to keep my plant alive as long as possible. Would love to have a real crop hanging from my plant!

I have to admit that this topic title gave me a laugh before I discovered that it was about a mango.

Mission accomplished.  ;)

It's small. It's deformed. It's ugly.....BUT it's still your first born. So you should still be the proud father.  ;)
Would guess that fruit was not properly pollinated. Cold temperatures can affect good pollination.

Right on the spot Oscar! The fruit suffered by incomplete/defective pollination. This seems to be my biggest issue, even if i manage to get an healthy plant, pollination is really tricky. The main problem is that on 44°N, even if our summer can be decently warm, springs is cold and lasts a lot, and i have problems with getting fruit with a normally developed embryo. For that problem, i usually remove my first flowering from my mango, but this has lead to its own class of problems that i won't detail here.

All your efforts have been reward  :D.....without the Florence June's storm you would have more fruits....interestingly you got the fruit from first flowering and not for second even if you had much more flowers of the second.
Should it be better to let the "April" flowers? How do you explain the fact that you lost all fruits of the second flowering while the only fruit from first flowering is ripen?

Anyway congrats....let's hope your experiment will last for many years :)

I don't have any kind of explanation for the fruit drop of my second flowering. If i had, my mango problems could be considered solved! I just want to point that my second flowering was way less abundant than my first flowering. This is pretty regular, as far as i know. However the second flowering consisted in what i could estimate in about the 30% of the flowers i got on the first flowering.
Italian fruit forum

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
Wow Pan!  It's all been said, but CONGRATULATIONS anyway!  It's bound to get better
each year, so keep on working those trees!!!!!!

So happy for you....Gary

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »
Thank you Gary! Well, i can't say you haven't encouraged me trough the years!  :D
Italian fruit forum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk