Author Topic: Badly split Jackfruit tree trunk.  (Read 1247 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Badly split Jackfruit tree trunk.
« on: April 28, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
I bought a jackfruit tree just after Irma, probably October from Spykes nursery on the other coast.  Every time I go there I notice they don't water their trees much, this MIGHT be relevant?? 

Got it home, gave it some fertilizer while still in the pot, and started giving it regular, hard well water, not softened.

Soon after, I noticed a split in the trunk.  The nursery said it may be sunburn, but I think we might be able to rule this out as it's continued to get worse, much worse.  Otherwise the tree appears very healthy!  I planted it in a very good spot, mostly full sun after about 10:00 AM and good drainage.

The tree does appear to be healing itself, while it continues to split.  I know this sounds possibly stupid, but is it possible that the tree was used to minimal water, they when I gave it adequate water, the trunk swelled and split??

Below are pics, the first few are just to show you it's healthy and even blooming.  The others are of the trunk, including some close ups.  Any educated thoughts are appreciated.

www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Badly split Jackfruit tree trunk.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »
Your issue could be sunburn. The splits are a nice home for fungus, which may be aggravating the problem. Mix up some copper spray and spray directly into the split.

I have four or five jackfruit trees in my yard that have this issue. These trees are not healthy. They suffer from limb dieback.  Based on soil analysis, my yard is deficient in phosphorus, potassium, manganese, copper, and boron. The most likely cause would be boron deficiency. I would not treat your tree for boron unless you do a soil analysis first to verify this is a factor.
Brandon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
It looks similar to some of my trees which have gotten sunburned. if your first picture of the whole tree was taken in the late afternoon the shadows are showing that the split area is exposed to afternoon sun. All of my trees which got sunburned have it on the side exposed to afternoon sun or were horizontal branches exposed to noonday sun.

On the bright side, Jackfruit trees grow very fast. Most don't get pruned enough. Even if you cut it back below the damaged trunk, it would probably make up the growth quickly since it has flowered and must have strong roots. That would be something to consider.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
It looks similar to some of my trees which have gotten sunburned. if your first picture of the whole tree was taken in the late afternoon the shadows are showing that the split area is exposed to afternoon sun. All of my trees which got sunburned have it on the side exposed to afternoon sun or were horizontal branches exposed to noonday sun.

On the bright side, Jackfruit trees grow very fast. Most don't get pruned enough. Even if you cut it back below the damaged trunk, it would probably make up the growth quickly since it has flowered and must have strong roots. That would be something to consider.
Thanks guys.  The split seems to be healing nearly as fast as it splits, so I think it will heal up.  When the split started, it was facing SSW, when I planted it, I intentionally put the split facing almost due west, but it (the split) has continued to grow.  But, as I've said, it seems to be healing almost as fast as it is splitting.   
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk