Author Topic: Germinating Marula Seeds (Sclerocarya birrea)  (Read 24730 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Germinating Marula Seeds (Sclerocarya birrea)
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
Today I got 50 marula seeds. I think there are actually a few seeds in each "seed" so I may end up with more than 50 plants. I've read that the germination rate may be low if I do not prepare the seeds properly. This will be my marula seed germination log. Here are the instructions I found for germinating the seeds:
The seeds of this species may have Combinational Dormancy, due to their impermeable seed coats (physical dormancy) and potentially physiologically dormant embryos (based on other species in the same genus).

Locate the operculum by filing the endocarp, then use a hammer and steel scalpel to prise off the operculum and expose the seed. Germinate on agar, germination paper or sand at 25 to 30ºC. Acid scarification with hydrochloric acid can also be used to break down the seed coat and improve germination.

If germination is low, overcome physiological dormancy with a dry after-ripening treatment immediately after harvest, at 25ºC for 18 months, before germinating the seeds on agar, germination paper or sand at their optimum temperature. This will allow post-harvest development to take place.

If anyone has any other tips or advice on germinating the seeds please let me know. I will add pics later.

Here is a link to the PDF of the marula monograph that nullzero sent me: http://www.dfid.gov.uk/r4d/PDF/Outputs/Forestry/R7227sclerocarya_monograph.pdf
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:34:16 PM by murahilin »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating Marula Seeds (Sclerocarya birrea)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »
I have a PDF to share with you, it has detailed germination info and info about the Marula.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
Cool. Can you post the link here or email it? Thanks.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
Cool. Can you post the link here or email it? Thanks.

I need you to respond to my email (tropicalfruitforum forwards over to your email). It was obtained from a African website (had extremely long load time). I can email it to you once you respond in the email.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
I tried 3 times with marula seeds from F&S park and never had a single one germinate. First time i brought over 50+ seeds after a visit to Florida. Then Warren kindly sent me some in the mail. I tried sprouting them in plastic bags and in pots and they just all rotted.
We had a thread about this on the yahoo rarefruit newsgroup. Turns out they need a long dry dormancy period (at least 3 months) to sprout well. I think then they would sprout without removing the locules. If you want to sprout them right away you have to remove those "eye" openings on the seed capsules. Here is the thread:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rarefruit/message/82266
Just thought gibberelic acid might also help to break dormancy, as in case of ilama seeds.
Oscar
Oscar

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:21:14 AM »
Hi everyone i recently was given some Marula seeds from someone in NZ and was wondering how to germinate them as they are very hard etc Is there any special way? Any info will be great thanks

Joshua_TX

• Zone 9a South Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
I received three seeds last August, soaked them in water for 48 hours, then planted them in deep pots with the top of the seed an inch or so below the soil and kept the soil moist.  If I remember correctly there is a part of the seed that stands out from the rest of the seed, this is where the root sprouts from so it should be planted downward.  All three sprouted and are doing fine.  They want to send down a long taproot so plan accordingly.  Once they get around a foot tall (30 cm.) they want lots of sun and grow quickly.  Good luck!

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:01 AM »
will the age of the seeds influence germination? the person i got them off said they were a couple years old

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »
will the age of the seeds influence germination? the person i got them off said they were a couple years old

Depends on how they were stored.?If kept cool and dry they should be ok. Marula has a dormancy period of i think about 6 months. That is why it's hard to sprout fresh seeds. The seeds have little "eyes" on them, if you poke those out carefully that will speed up germination. Soaking overnight is also a good idea.
Oscar

Joshua_TX

• Zone 9a South Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
They also germinate best with hot temperatures.

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
We sell tons of these seeds and have seen the best results with Oscar's recommendation.  Poke the eyes out (or sand them with rough sand paper to allow moisture to penetrate better), and plant about 1 seed length under the soil with the eyes pointed up.  Place the seed tray in the sun or use heat under the seed tray to improve germination.  They like it hot.

Regards,
Carraig

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:09 AM »

It has been awhile since I germinated marula seeds. But I did open the seed holes/opercula and got several
 plants from the same nut.

Note that too much moisture during germination can easily rot marula seeds.

After that, they are very vigorous with heat and water aplenty.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
Hi cyclonenat,

In few years time your marula will produce and you will eat to much of them marulas....this will happen to you in the near future ;D ;D ;D ;D

African Animals Getting Drunk From Ripe Marula Fruit
Animals Are Beautiful People (1974)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
Hi Steven, that was a funny scene, but i hope you know was totally faked?
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
Seems like Marula is not a rare fruit anymore ! Male and female needed , I planted 3 together in the same planting hole , only one grew to be 4 - 5 meters now , the other 2 stayed really small .
Any idea how many years from seed to fruit ?

Oscar how did they fake the animal video ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »
What a bummer!  I have one seedling growing and now I find out you need both male and female.

Guess that's what I get for not researching this more!

By the way, mine sported about a month after planting.

Jaime

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
Today I finally planted the seeds I got on 2/11.

Jaime, did you do anything to the seed before planting?

I sanded off the top of the seeds before planting in hopes of speeding up germination.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »
Not really, but that may be the reason why I only have one seedling as opposed to many. I would definitely follow Oscar's advice as to cutting the eyes out of the seeds.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:28 AM »
Seems like Marula is not a rare fruit anymore ! Male and female needed , I planted 3 together in the same planting hole , only one grew to be 4 - 5 meters now , the other 2 stayed really small .
Any idea how many years from seed to fruit ?

Oscar how did they fake the animal video ?

From Wikipedia:
One scene depicts baboons, elephants, giraffes, warthogs and other animals eating rotten, fermented fruit of the Marula tree. The intoxicated animals then stagger around for comic effect. In the morning, we see one baboon wake up, disheveled, next to a warthog, and quietly exit the burrow, as not to wake her. Several experts[citation needed] have claimed that some scenes were likely staged; elephants would be too large, for example, and drink too much water (diluting the alcohol) to get intoxicated.

All the movies and shows that Jamie Uys did are very funny and classic. So i don't blame him for faking these scenes.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
I got some seeds from South Africa in 2010, I kicked the seed coat and soaked in G.A3 overnight and planted. I think about 60% came up and I've given away some have two left and had one outside last year under shade cloth with frost cloth on top. That marula froze but came back from root. Other plant was in my Greenhouse over winter and was fine although its outside now and is just barely starting to leaf out!! I don't think there happy here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »
I got some seeds from South Africa in 2010, I kicked the seed coat and soaked in G.A3 overnight and planted. I think about 60% came up and I've given away some have two left and had one outside last year under shade cloth with frost cloth on top. That marula froze but came back from root. Other plant was in my Greenhouse over winter and was fine although its outside now and is just barely starting to leaf out!! I don't think there happy here.

Where is here?
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
Oscar, here is Arroyo Grande, Ca. actually I'm 2-miles as crow fly behind Oceano/Pismo Dunes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
Oscar, here is Arroyo Grande, Ca. actually I'm 2-miles as crow fly behind Oceano/Pismo Dunes.

Scott, ok thanks. Why not add your location info to your profile, so when you post it's clearer?
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Three Marula related questions:

1. Is this a marula seedling? (I recently germinated a mango seed in an old cup of seed starting mix and this popped up alongside it. The cup was labeled marula, and I seem to recall getting some marula seeds from Nullzero at last year's Green Scene.)

2. Has anyone here actually tasted marula, and feel they can recommend this fruit?

3. It's anyone willing to exchange (or sell) scions sometime down the road? I've only got the one plant, and I know that marulas are dioecious. I'd rather graft than grow out more seedlings.

Thanks
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
Yes that looks like marula. I tasted fruits at F&S park. Nothing to write home about as an out of hand fruit. Apparently it makes great marula liqueur. Also i've heard the interior seed is quite good, but hard to crack.
Oscar