Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620701 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #850 on: January 04, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
Welcome, Ariel!

Nice looking tree!

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
  • Eat what you grow and grow what you eat
    • Granada St. Georges (West Indies)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU5bkcCvm-vFbvWG_LwIbmg
« Reply #851 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
My name is Camillo
I'm from a small tropical island in the West Indies called Grenada.
I have been growing exotic tropical and subtropical fruits for the past two years, Im not optimistic that the subtropical fruits would bear here as we are very close to the equator, but even if merely for ornamental reasons I'm still ok with that.
I'm going to list the fruits that I grow and if anyone lives in a similar climate as I. I would be grateful to know what have grown and produce for you, and any other tips on growing exotic tropical fruits. I grow a variety of tropical fruits and some sub tropical and temperate for experiment. our zones range from 11 to 13 b because of the high altitudes certain places.
I grow:

purple and yellow mobin
Mangoes many varities
Citrus many varities
Atemoya
Cherimoya
Sugar apple
Sour sup
pond apples
Custard apples
Longan (subtropical)
Spanish lime
Rambutan
Lychee (subtropical)
Brazilian cherry
Suriname cherry
Cherry de rio grande (subtropical)
Pitomba
Rainforest plum
pine apple Guava (subtropical)
pear guava
large Bangkok guava
red strawberry guava
large red guava
local unnamed varieties
Indian jujubee
jack fruit
loquats
caimito and the small similar variety
star fruit
bananas
sweet tamarind
Otaheite gooseberry
Cashew nut
malay apple
water apple
mangosteen
lemon drop mangosteen
unnamed mangosteen with very large seed.
velvet apple
mamey apple
mamey sapote
sapodilla
grape asian variety
strawberries
pomegranate
fig
Randia
Paw Paw (suptropical)
jabuticaba large leaf and small leaf variety
and a few temperate for experiments
apples (note that some one actually got one to fruit here).
nectarines
Red Globe grape

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can as well as contributing in whatever capacity I can.
PS. I'm still collecting any recommendations are welcomed
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:28:47 AM by Camillo Alexis »
Eat what you grow and grow what you eat

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Wow, Camillo!  Can I come to your house for vacation?!?!?!

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:07 AM »
Wellcome Camillo. Your list of the trees is amazing! Do you have a big orchand?
Mike

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
I have but it's mainly nutmeg and cocoa 10 acres and I'm trying to turn it into a fruit garden but it is a lot of work. I have a lot of plants in pots as I intend to plant them in a planned and organized way. I'm hoping I can get some advice and guidance from anyone who has done an organized orchard.
Grenada generally has a lot of fruits that you get when you purchase lands but they are sparadic all over the place, Spanish lime, citrus, lots of varieties of mangoes, hog plums, Sugar Apples, Soursop, star fruits, Malay Apples, star apples and it's smaller relative.

Here we don't employ a lot of pruning and most of our trees are propagated by seeds resulting in trees that are over grown and  lacking  proper light.
Grenada has rich volcanic soil almost all of our fruits are laden with flavor, but because we don't allow importation of plants not very many people would plant exotics as they would have to smuggle seeds.

Still there are persons who have Rambutans, Jackfruits, Mangosteens (all of which fruited in 6 years from seeds), Velvet Apples, Atemoya, Dragon fruits and one person has Durian.

I want to remove everything except the nutmeg and cocoa as they are our main export crops, plant lawn grass keep the fruit trees reasonable heights those that can be, and plant palms create a pond etc.  I'm the largest collector that I know of on the island.

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:41 AM »

You might be disappointed, lol as I don't have many plants in my home garden mostly my home nursery until the plants are ready to be planted out I also practice grafting and stuff here   

but of course in the near future, I would be willing to have anyone who is able to visit.
Feedback and advice is what would make the difference is a good and great project and just bask in the common ground we all share being passionate about tropical fruits.
 It is a beautiful Island too it is a bit on the quiet side but it's ranked in natural beauty. 

nycbrum

• New York, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 15, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:36:14 PM by nycbrum »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
I have but it's mainly nutmeg and cocoa 10 acres and I'm trying to turn it into a fruit garden but it is a lot of work. I have a lot of plants in pots as I intend to plant them in a planned and organized way. I'm hoping I can get some advice and guidance from anyone who has done an organized orchard.
Grenada generally has a lot of fruits that you get when you purchase lands but they are sparadic all over the place, Spanish lime, citrus, lots of varieties of mangoes, hog plums, Sugar Apples, Soursop, star fruits, Malay Apples, star apples and it's smaller relative.

Here we don't employ a lot of pruning and most of our trees are propagated by seeds resulting in trees that are over grown and  lacking  proper light.
Grenada has rich volcanic soil almost all of our fruits are laden with flavor, but because we don't allow importation of plants not very many people would plant exotics as they would have to smuggle seeds.

Still there are persons who have Rambutans, Jackfruits, Mangosteens (all of which fruited in 6 years from seeds), Velvet Apples, Atemoya, Dragon fruits and one person has Durian.

I want to remove everything except the nutmeg and cocoa as they are our main export crops, plant lawn grass keep the fruit trees reasonable heights those that can be, and plant palms create a pond etc.  I'm the largest collector that I know of on the island.

You are definitely a thinking man. Best of luck and God's help in your endeavors. An amazing assortment of wild fruits when buying at least some lands.... Must be the volcanic soil you mention

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 15, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a background in International Sales and Business Development and a keen interest in sourcing great fresh produce and ingredients (perhaps for specialty shops / brands / restaurants). I would love to be able to combine the worlds as a profession.  From some of the stuff I have recently read, the job I want to have is something along the lines of: International / Exotic Fruit / Ingredient Procurer / Buyer?

Can anyone advise on how someone like me might be able to make this profession a reality? Honestly, any insight anyone is able to offer me on this front would be awesome.

Best,

Vin (NYC)

Just for starters we have the best mangoes in the US growing here (Florida) that are just aching to have the right channels opened up to send them to cities where there is a large upper class with disposable income. They would have to be air freighted and used in the high end restaurants. Sold at gourmet markets. We also have amazing avocados like Catalina (Cuban favorite) that would go great on plates in August as a side dressing....not as that cliched guacamole but right next to meat, fish and chicken

All in season of course. It is a matter of of precise air shipping and distribution. There is a persistent buzz on mangoes and avocados being used in recipes in cold northern cities. I see this on the internet

tifrise

• french guiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:09 AM »
HI,

My name is Stephane, I am 28 years old and I live in french guiana

I passione fruit and I just shared with you

Sorry my English is not very correct

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 21, 2014, 05:34:52 AM »
tifrise welcome you are the second person here from French Guiana. What fruit do you grow and what fruit are you interested in?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
Ariel from the pitayafruit group? Welcome to the forum!

tifrise

• french guiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
At the moment I grow amazon trees that give fruits as tatajuba, pequi, pequia, and more ( i don't know english name so french  :) )

And common fruits like rambutan, longan, sugar apple, tamarille, biriba, jaboticaba, soursoup, mammay apple, surinam cherry, avocado, banana, differents passiflore, cacao, pinapple, cherimoia, acerola, star apple, star fruit, grumixama, custard apple, pitaya, wax jambu (white and pink), breadnut, differents guava, cattley guava, durian, bacupari, bacuri, jackfruit, leechee, mangousteen, jacana, noni, differents mango, yellow mombin, ciriguela, loquat, differents cashew nut, castanha do brazil, tropical carob, pawpaw, ambarella, malay apple, mamancillo, sapote, sapodilla, tamarind, spanish tamarind, bilimbi, pond apple, guarana, coffee,, canistel, coco plum, abiu, acai, bababa, patawa, tucuma, jambolan, malabar chesnut, macadamia, camapu, peach palm, black sapote, star groosberry, differents inga, ....  there is still plenty but I did not mind

I'm interested in the fruits of brazil.
By garcinias, Annona, pouteria, eugenia, myrciara and other rare fruits in the world

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:39 AM »
Hi Tifrise, you are very welcome!!! You have a great and big colection of great fruits! Your list is just amazing! Please if you can, share some photos of your trees with us! Thank you so much!  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 22, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »
Tifrise you sure have an excellent collection and people will know many of  those.I have seedlings of quite a few species you mention but don't know much about the fruit of some like tatajuba, pequi,pequia,bucuri and others. I would be interested to hear you post information on these. I see also you have some colder climate fruit like cherimoya and paw paw  (maybe papaya) so maybe you are not in the hottest place.

Should you wish to trade with other people you will have a lot of muscle.

7Eye_Grower

• Oshakati
    • View Profile
    • 7 Eye Nursery
« Reply #865 on: January 29, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
 ;D
Hi everyone, My name is Isak. First off i love exotic fruit and i enjoy growing things so what better then to grow my own fruit. but not the regular stuff, i like exotics. being in an arid climate doesn't help much but i try to grow any fruit i can get sees for and im always looking for new seed. i think i will enjoy it here.

Brando

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
New to the FORUM
« Reply #866 on: January 29, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
Hello. My name is Brando and I reside in Loxahatchee, FL in Palm Beach County. I have around * different fruit trees and am looking for someone that can assist in grafting my trees. I have the following trees in my yard.

1) Carrie Mango
2) Lychee
3) Sugar Apple Anona
4) Star Fruit
5) Sweet Tamerind
6) Mamey
7) Nispero
8) Pomegranite
9) Quenepa / Mamoncillo / Spanish Lime

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: New to the FORUM
« Reply #867 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Hello. My name is Brando and I reside in Loxahatchee, FL in Palm Beach County. I have around * different fruit trees and am looking for someone that can assist in grafting my trees. I have the following trees in my yard.

1) Carrie Mango
2) Lychee
3) Sugar Apple Anona
4) Star Fruit
5) Sweet Tamerind
6) Mamey
7) Nispero
8) Pomegranite
9) Quenepa / Mamoncillo / Spanish Lime

Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by you would like someone to assist in grafting your trees?

Brando

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »
I have seen a mango tree that produces different variates of mangos. I would like to communicate with individuals that can provide clippings of the sweetest mango varieties available and can successfully graph them on my mango tree.

If possible, I would like to do the same with the other fruits trees on my yard.

I am new to this and just learned about this method.

If grafting is available to my other fruits trees. I would like to to the same.

Brando

dfurtek

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
    • Sabah, Malaysia: Durian Wonderland
« Reply #869 on: January 30, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »

Doug Furtek, Proud American from Chicopee, Massachusetts, retired from the Malaysian Cocoa Board, now Director of Innovation R&D at Teck Guan Group (oil palm plantations, palm oil mills, oleochemicals) in Eastern Sabah
Check out my "Sabah, Malaysia: Durian Wonderland" photos at:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112261781100492755854/albums/5967583987572082737
I noted the latitudes and longitudes of my favorite durian locales.
The few photos not taken in Sabah are noted.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »

Doug Furtek, Proud American from Chicopee, Massachusetts, retired from the Malaysian Cocoa Board, now Director of Innovation R&D at Teck Guan Group (oil palm plantations, palm oil mills, oleochemicals) in Eastern Sabah
Check out my "Sabah, Malaysia: Durian Wonderland" photos at:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112261781100492755854/albums/5967583987572082737
I noted the latitudes and longitudes of my favorite durian locales.
The few photos not taken in Sabah are noted.
Wow and wow. I was just in Sabah last month. I wish I could have seen your place. What's that chrome durian next to red one? Are any of those red ones "tenom beauty" variety,  D. Zib. and D. Grav. mix?

dfurtek

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
To Durian Lover
« Reply #871 on: January 30, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »

Locals call both the red and orange ones "Dalit". The red is definitely Durio graveolens, but I believe the larger orange one could be a D. zibethinus x D. graveolens hybrid. (DNA markers would help to distinguish species and hybrids.) That is my favorite type. It is so rich and flavorful. The last place I have seen Tenom Beauty was at a weekend outdoor market (Tamu) in the parking lot below a Giant supermarket, in the Kolombong section of Kota Kinabalu.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 31, 2014, 02:54:30 AM »
Red durio graveolens taste more like something you cook with. But "tenon beauty" suppose to inherit some of Durso Zib. qualities and really stands out.
You should check out Dongonggon tamu, there is a guy selling grafted Tenon beauty trees.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:56:32 AM by DurianLover »

dfurtek

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
To Durian Lover
« Reply #873 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
Thank you for the Tenom Beauty graft tip! I will get from the Donggongon Tamu. We are now planting trees around our new house.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »
www.doa.sarawak.gov.my/modules/web/download_show.php?id=701 · PDF file

There are quite a few pure varieties of graveolans that are not red.