Author Topic: Tony Morris Red Jackfruit  (Read 2825 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Tony Morris Red Jackfruit
« on: May 05, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »

Went to Excalibur for a macadamia nut and ended up with this too as an impulse buy, anyone have the story behind this? Supposedly it’s new red variety, nursery lady told me it’s darker red and sweeter than Excalibur red.

-Joep450

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Morris Red Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »

Went to Excalibur for a macadamia nut and ended up with this too as an impulse buy, anyone have the story behind this? Supposedly it’s new red variety, nursery lady told me it’s darker red and sweeter than Excalibur red.

-Joep450

This is the variety that those at Excalibur had been talking up for at least four years. Released only a few weeks ago. A friend of mine got a 3 gallon and another one got a 7 gallon. Said to be the best red jack around.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »

-Joep450

It's the closest to red that I've actually seen myself. It's also one of the best tasting jackfruit that I've ever had.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 01:03:32 AM »
Anyone have the ability to send one out to California? Pretty please with sugar on top!
-Chris

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:44:54 AM »

-Joep450

Did they mentione size and growth habit? Now much was this?

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:13:30 AM »
Any pictures of a fruit?  What size is the fruit?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 12:16:21 PM »

-Joep450

Did they mentione size and growth habit? Now much was this?

they had a few 7 gallon trees but they are long gone. $35 for 3 gallon.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »
Is the Tony Morris the same as #10 from Excalibur or are they different?  I bought a #10 fruit back in early March from Linda, and it had some of the largest perianths I had ever had, plus almost all of the rag was edible and quite good. 

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »

I bought a TMR from Excalibur today and would love to hear more about the fruit from anyone who has seen or tasted it. Size of the fruit, color, sweetness, latex, fiber, etc and comparisons to other jacks

-Joep450

It's the closest to red that I've actually seen myself. It's also one of the best tasting jackfruit that I've ever had.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 08:25:26 AM »
I had a great experience at Excalibur. Tom was super helpful and took us around.
Kudos to him.

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
+1 TMR
I feel like we're the first ones experimenting with this variety,,,the main reason I picked it was the advertised color, otherwise not much proven info on it from the seller.
We'll find out in 5 years if it was worth it:)
- Marius

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »
I was fortunate enough to bump into BS Bullie yesterday, and got to see a picture of a TM fruit. It had incredible color!  Should be a top tier cultivar for those fortunate enough to grow it.  And I received the answer to the question I posted above, both are new cultivars.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
Yes, I also love Excalibur :) I love coming there for plants and fruits.

I had a great experience at Excalibur. Tom was super helpful and took us around.
Kudos to him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk