Author Topic: Passion fruit variety id  (Read 570 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Passion fruit variety id
« on: April 02, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
Just bought theese, they seem to be bigger, more oblong and more to the redder side compared to the typical purple edulis I have ate. I want to grow the seeds and maybe sell some seedlings locally so want to know the possible variety. The labels say they come from Zimbabve, if that is of any help . Thanks very much !!

PassionBob

• Carlsbad, CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit variety id
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
These fruits are a P. edulis x P. edulis f. flavicarpa hybrid.  As such the seeds will not be true to type.  The seedlings you get can produce a good fruit, but not necessarily just like the parent plant.
PassionBob

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »
These fruits are a P. edulis x P. edulis f. flavicarpa hybrid.  As such the seeds will not be true to type.  The seedlings you get can produce a good fruit, but not necessarily just like the parent plant.
thanks ,I will just name them a cross between edulis and flavicarpa, they look alot like pics of panama reds I have seen ....

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 07:52:59 AM »
I have true P. edulis from cuttings. If interested I might graft you one this spring.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »
I have true P. edulis from cuttings. If interested I might graft you one this spring.
thanks for the offer, however I also have true purple edulis mature plants, rooted cuttings and seedlings coming. Thanks once again :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk