Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528998 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #875 on: July 06, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »
I don't recognize that symptom.  Please post again when the leaves mature / harden up.

Thank you Har, I will post pictures when they mature. If you'd have to say what could be just from colour, what would you say? Iron deficiency?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 02, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
I notice a lot of black ants underneath the leaves on my Fairchild and Honey Kiss trees, and it looks like they're nesting.  The Fairchild looks a lot worse, and I just started noticing them on the Honey Kiss.  I was doing some Googling, and read that the ants could be a sign of mango scale?  I've been rubbing off small white patches when I see them on leaves, but haven't been spraying Neem or anything.  Are the pics a symptom of the mango scale and this is what happens when it progresses?

FAIRCHILD

HONEYKISS

Btw this is an example of the white patches I keep rubbing off:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:33:05 PM by FlMikey »

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 02, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »
I notice a lot of black ants underneath the leaves on my Fairchild and Honey Kiss trees, and it looks like they're nesting.  The Fairchild looks a lot worse, and I just started noticing them on the Honey Kiss.  I was doing some Googling, and read that the ants could be a sign of mango scale?  I've been rubbing off small white patches when I see them on leaves, but haven't been spraying Neem or anything.  Are the pics a symptom of the mango scale and this is what happens when it progresses?

FAIRCHILD

HONEYKISS

Btw this is an example of the white patches I keep rubbing off:

Soft scale if I'm not mistaken but I believe there are many different types.  Ants are attracted to the secreations.
- Marley

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:36 PM »
Yes, it is mango scale, which is a soft scale.
Har

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 03, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »
Was wondering what killed my 15 gallon lemon zest.

It started to soften(gewy) top line of graft where it receives full sun. Then eventually this as a result.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 03, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »
Thanks Guanabus and FruitFreak!  I'm going to start on a neem oil treatment regimen for the scale then.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 03, 2017, 06:19:48 PM »
Not when the temperature is very hot!  Leaves may get burned.

Neem oil, and any other oil or soap, will only work in slow drying conditions, so that an insect stays covered with wet oil or soap until it has suffocated-- if the spray dries too soon, anything can catch its breath again.
Har

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 03, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for such great information. Im my area, SWFlorida, our number one problem with fruit trees is the sirilanka weebel. Some trees, specially the mamey, lychee, and canisteel varieties seem to be their favorites to colonize.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 03, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
Thanks Har.  I just neemed the plants @ 8 PM, so the sun was down.  According to the weather forecast, it shouldn't rain tomorrow in my neck of the woods..fingers crossed.  I'm planning on a second treatment in 2 weeks.

I actually noticed a couple of ants on my Pickering, and slightly more ants on my Maha Chanok.  Upon closer inspection, I did see some of those white patches on both trees.  Is the scab contagious from tree to tree or can ants carry it from tree to tree? 

I'm actually going to be planting out the Pickering this weekend in my backyard, and it will be about 10 feet away from a brand new 7 gallon Sweet Tart.  I'm hoping it's not going to spread!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 04, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »
Ants do carry crawlers to new pastures.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
I was outside checking to make sure no neem burn and all looks great, except now I'm noticing sap dripping from one of my Pickering branches.  The Pickering doesn't have as many ants on it, really not bad, and I barely notice the scab in it.  I'll be planting it in the ground tomorrow away fro. The Fairchild and Pina Colada which have many more ants and a larger scab issue.

But what could be causing the sap to drip on the Pickering?  Is it related to the scab?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 05, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
You mean scale, not scab.

This picture shows where a leaf was broken off, and the wound "bled."
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 06, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
Thank you Har!  Indeed, I meant scale and not scab.  I removed a couple leaves with the scale the prior day, so you're spot on.  Glad to know its not disease relayed.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
I imagine with the lack of winter we have had the last couple years is why we suddenly have started seeing these new weevils, the grey and orange ones that use their legs to latch onto your fingers when you pic them up. They have some peculiar eating habits. I have seen them on Graham and Lemon zest, while they completely ignored the Cotton Candy, Sweet tart, and pickering. Further they went after my Fuyu Persimmons preventing fruit, my All spice trees, and a couple others here and there, but completely ignored everything in between.

I am not sure what spray to put on them for the roots. This weather kind of annoyed me since in spring we went instantly from 60s weather to 80s and I never had time to put on my neem and/or other oils so root drenching is the only option I have.

Yoda

• Athens, Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 07, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Need some help with this seedling. Looks like anthracnose to me: 

Growth at the top has appeared but is halted:

I've sprayed with mancozeb 5 days ago, though the top leaf seems to be deteriorating. Here's a pic of it last week:

Lower leaves have black tips. I've added some dried banana peel (potassium) just in case :

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
The soil in the container may be staying too wet.  Let the top inch get dry before each watering.
Har

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 07, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
Mango Doctors, I have two trees towards the back of my property - a Valencia Pride and a Lancetilla. The VP seems to have stunted growth and small leaves and the Lancetilla has black and dying leaf tips.

I'm guessing it's some deficiency...

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Scott

Lancetilla

Valencia Pride

Yoda

• Athens, Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 08, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
The soil in the container may be staying too wet.  Let the top inch get dry before each watering.

Hmm. 

The soil does tend to stay curiously humid between watering. I'll start manually watering when the soil dries & also might change the soil with a better draining medium, perhaps a cactus mix. Will that do it? Later on I'll look into gritty mixes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »
Both pictures show multiple deficiencies, especially of Magnesium, Potassium, and Zinc. 

Make sure soil doesn't stay mucky wet, or be in prolonged drought either.
Har

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 08, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
Thank you Har, I will treat accordingly. One is in a mucky area that is shaded by larger nuisance trees that will be coming down soon.

Thanks again,

Scott

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2017, 05:37:39 AM »
I don't recognize that symptom.  Please post again when the leaves mature / harden up.

Here some new pictures of those twisted leaves today:

I think it could be too much heat and sun. It was just this plant, the other 14 rootstocks didn't show this symptom, but here are some with other different ones:

This is happening to 3 of them, leaves dond't develop one of the halves and don't grow properly. I suspect overfertilisation when I added guano at beginning of July:

And finally I lost one rootstock because it dried out after suffering this strange (to me) damage at the base of the stem, I say strange because it just affect to one particular section, the rest seems healthy up and down of it:

The plant seemed not affected for a few weeks, but finally died:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:42:21 AM by Jose Spain »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
Jose Spain, pictures 1-5 probably show deficiencies of Zinc, Copper, and Manganese.

I have never worked with guano.  Is it high in Sodium?  That might cause some burns.

The plant that died was girdled, by disease or by scalding water (such as from water in a hose or spray stake irrigation lines, in the sun).  The full circle of dead bark, and dead cambium tissue, prevented any glucose from photosynthesis from going on down to the roots.  Once the roots starved to death, then the top suddenly received no more water.
Har

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 18, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
My Tequila Sunrise mango tree has been the ground a bit over two years. It has been producing some very nice growth flushes the last two months. About half of the new growth looks healthy, with some leaves over a foot long. But the other half, the new leaves come out twisted, stunted and some just die off. I have been giving it minor element supplements. Does this like some kind of disease, deficiency, or nothing to worry about?

<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 18, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
Jose Spain, pictures 1-5 probably show deficiencies of Zinc, Copper, and Manganese.

I have never worked with guano.  Is it high in Sodium?  That might cause some burns.

The plant that died was girdled, by disease or by scalding water (such as from water in a hose or spray stake irrigation lines, in the sun).  The full circle of dead bark, and dead cambium tissue, prevented any glucose from photosynthesis from going on down to the roots.  Once the roots starved to death, then the top suddenly received no more water.

Sorry, I didn't see this answer until today. Thank you for the explanation. Regarding your question about Na, I donīt know, the box doesn't specify it, it's coming from sea birds and is low in chloride, this is the info it gives:

After reading your answer, I think that it's very likely that the deficiencies were caused by excess of one particular element as a result of overfertilization with the guano (I'm washing out that posible excess by overwatering these plants). Actually last flushes seem to be OK. I'll keep updating is something interesting comes up. Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:13:42 PM by Jose Spain »

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 18, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
My Tequila Sunrise mango tree has been the ground a bit over two years. It has been producing some very nice growth flushes the last two months. About half of the new growth looks healthy, with some leaves over a foot long. But the other half, the new leaves come out twisted, stunted and some just die off. I have been giving it minor element supplements. Does this like some kind of disease, deficiency, or nothing to worry about?

I thing zinc deficieny and some insects sucking the sap of the young leaves when they are flushing. Forum experts may give you more accurate diagnosis.