Author Topic: Mango trees not flowering  (Read 2011 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Mango trees not flowering
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
I planted several mango trees early this last summer, most all are doing well.  Most I won't let produce fruit, but I do have a few that I bought in larger containers and they're big enough to allow to keep a few mangoes. 

The larger ones in particular are very healthy looking, but not one flower.  I do fertilize 3-4 times a year, about a month ago I have them some potassium, but not one flower.  I see other trees in my area full of flowers.

Trying to figure out why?  I could understand if they flower, but drop the fruit, but not one flower on several trees??

The only thing I can think of is MOST (but not all) are in an area that is well irrigated.  I've been running the sprinklers to help them establish and all.  I've read they need a dry spell to flower, is this true?

Any ideas?  I am seeing some fresh vegetation pushing up, at least that's going for it. 

Cookie Monster?  Need gypsum or something??

Thanks!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees not flowering
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
stress can trigger flowering. cold weather and dry conditions are 2 of the main reported triggers here in FL. I would hold off on irrigation and hope for the best.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
Inadequate cold weather up until this point. Younger trees are also less likely to flower than older trees.

It’s possible they could still flower in a few weeks though. The branches with new growth less likely.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
When you gave your trees some Potassium fertilizer, did the fertilizer also contain Nitrogen? If it did, high leaf Nitrogen levels can tilt the balance more towards shoot growth or mixed growth. Cold stimulus now can initiate some flowering but that is depending on nature. I have read somewhere that girdling works for Mangos but I would only do this if you are desperate, you know what you’re doing, or you’re not afraid to lose the girdled branch.

Next year, try to decrease watering prior to expected blooms and make sure you are not over fertilizing with Nitrogen. Here’s a good article on mango flowering.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1677-04202007000400007&script=sci_arttext

Simon

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »
Its still early for flowers on alot of the mango trees around here. 2 large trees in yard don’t push out till February. Yours tree may just need more time

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 06:13:05 AM »
A compost tea made from quality compost will contain plant growth promoting hormones and also provide negative ions that will attract positively charged minerals like calcium and phosphorous.  Stop watering Mangos.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:36:41 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Interesting how some in Cali wonder how to stop their young trees from flowering. I recall them seeing how the flowering at an early age resulted in slowed growth over the first few years after planting.

I was having a conversation yesterday with a fertilizer salesman, and he mentioned that during the dry season here water quality changes quickly towards higher levels of hardness and PH to the extent that some of his larger customers inject acid into their irrigation water to counteract the changes. I have to wonder what effect it might be having. I haven't done a comparison test but should check it out.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Interesting how some in Cali wonder how to stop their young trees from flowering. I recall them seeing how the flowering at an early age resulted in slowed growth over the first few years after planting.

I was having a conversation yesterday with a fertilizer salesman, and he mentioned that during the dry season here water quality changes quickly towards higher levels of hardness and PH to the extent that some of his larger customers inject acid into their irrigation water to counteract the changes. I have to wonder what effect it might be having. I haven't done a comparison test but should check it out.

We don’t have any problems with growth while fruiting with young Mangos. It’s a continuous loop with a slow down in November.

Adding Carbon fixes ph.  Charging the soil with the cation exchange. A compost tea spray releases negative ions to the soil surface.  This greatly increases a soils cation exchange potential or potential for soil growth.  The resulting static held structure of minerals, ions, carbon is new soil in a stable form of plant available, flowering hormones, nutrients, pollutants and holds water.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:41:31 AM by Frog Valley Farm »