Author Topic: Worlds most expensive and sweetest Mango  (Read 2538 times)

Dada

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
Worlds most expensive and sweetest Mango
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:40:48 PM »
Japanese are good at what they are doing. Check out this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eF0bM1KGyA&t=129s
Miyazaki Mango a red Mango weighing about 700 grams. It is supposed to be 15 sweeter than an ordinary Mango. I wonder what Brix that would be 150? Any Japanese members have tried this mango?

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds most expensive and sweetest Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
It's overrated. It's basically Irwin Mango that originated from South Florida. The only different is they rotate the mango so the mango get sun all 360 degree so that the mango turn red evenly. Just look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xateP2qrgMo

Japanese has the habit of turning regular thing turn into expensive thing, like giving beer to cow and make them super expensive beef etc.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
It's overrated. It's basically Irwin Mango that originated from South Florida. The only different is they rotate the mango so the mango get sun all 360 degree so that the mango turn red evenly. Just look at this video:

Japanese has the habit of turning regular thing turn into expensive thing, like giving beer to cow and make them super expensive beef etc.
Or growing melons in square cases. Or just selling exorbitantly-priced melons, period :)
But i do like melons.
And North American pawpaw is popular in Japan, so I can't complain about that.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

Ahhh, the beef comparison is not a good comparison (and its sake).  You have obviously never tasted high grade true Kobe Beef..
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »
The Zill Mangos can easily get the record for sweetest mango in the world. I’ve checked. Currently the sweetest mango is the Sweet Elena from the Philippines but it only had a Brix in the 20s. Several Lemon Zest’s and Sweet Tart I’ve tested during a mango tasting have tested to be 32% with a couple nubbin Fruit that were sweeter than the 32% Brix limit of the regular refractometer. Because of this, I had to purchase the 0-60 refractometer.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12675.msg208192#msg208192

Simon

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »

Ahhh, the beef comparison is not a good comparison (and its sake).  You have obviously never tasted high grade true Kobe Beef..

One day I will ....it's on my bucket list
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »

One day I will ....it's on my bucket list

I have and it is truly amazing!  Worth every bit of the high cost.
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Hearing that they give beer to cows in Japan makes me want to go there in a cow suit.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »
Hearing that they give beer to cows in Japan makes me want to go there in a cow suit.

And massaged with sake.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
The sweetest mango in the world will pair nicely with Kobe beef. Wagyu and dry aged beef from good cattle is second.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:13 AM »
Awesome. I will be in Tokyo this Friday morning and traveling south to Osaka for a few days...I'm going to check around and find one of those mangos and some Kobe beef as well. I can almost taste it. Chris
-Chris

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »
I bet you could make a Tommy Atkins super sweet also, if you only allowed 1-2 fruit per tree,  and pampered them like babies.  administering  nutrients constantly,  etc.

also these farms,  grade fruit,  so not all make the cut as extremely expensive "gift" fruit.  the "rejects" are sold for much less. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
I saw you tube video of a guy sampling wagyu cooked- grilled different ways at a Japan restaurant....was all you eat wagyu in 90 minutes. What was interesting is the wasabi and soy sauce on the side that he was dipping the beef chunks into.

AS far as the world's most expensive mango in Japan....we have all seen the watermelons they grow in a cube shape that sell for $100. Other exotic melons also sell there for crazy prices.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:26:09 AM by zands »