Author Topic: Lychee and Mango u pick farms!  (Read 10512 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Lychee and Mango u pick farms!
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
I have been getting inundated with calls by people who want to pick their own fruit. First and foremost I am not a u-pick. I know of no one anymore that does this. First and foremost liability, theft, and litter not to mention loss of fruit by sampling. The best one happened today, three people come by and want to pick fruit. They are wearing overcoats or trench coats. We want to pick lychee. I could not contain myself. I said sorry we are not a u-pick. The one guy gets upset that I would not let them on the property. So I asked him what he did for a living. He says he owns a Chinese buffet. I said great let me come by, sample all your food and walk in your kitchen and cook myself something and then I will let you know if I want to buy something. He was not happy that I wouldn't let him pick fruit to sample so he could decide if he wanted to buy anything. Now mind you there are a couple of hundred pounds of fresh picked fruit ready for the weekend sale! Sheeeesh. Buy a tree and grow your own bro! I just thought this was classic. Especially the coats in 90+ degree weather. Did I mention the turnip truck I just fell off of? Lol.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:01:16 PM by BENDERSGROVE »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee and Mango u pick farms!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
They didn't even say please?  And you had some boxed ready for him to buy but he wanted them off the tree instead? Kind of weird. If you let him on though, those overcoats would have mysteriously been fatter than they were when they arrived.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
It reminded me of the story Chris Rollins used to tell about the little old lady with a jakfruit under her dress trying to smuggle it out of the fruit and spice park. Too too funny!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
^She could've used the excuse that she was pregnant... lol
Alexi

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I have heard that story from Chris a hundred times. Never gets old!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »

I don't blame you one bit for not letting in your property to pick fruit!! If they were not interested in buying the ones you already had ripe and ready to sell there's definitely something up!! Lol...trench coats! Its 95 feels like 103 degrees right now!!! 

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
But do you shipt to AZ?  :D

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
Sorry we don't ship

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
I guess they thought they were Jesse James! All they needed were cowboy hats! Hahahahahahahahaha

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
:( do you know who does?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
I was at the Fruit and Spice park a couple of years ago with Quang Ong looking around and a lady on a golf cart came speeding up to us and accused us of stealing a jackfruit. We were overheated Californians dying of the humidity with no jackets and it took a bit of convincing her we were not the culprits. I guess it is common over there at the park.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
I have been getting inundated with calls by people who want to pick their own fruit. First and foremost I am not a u-pick. I know of no one anymore that does this. First and foremost liability, theft, and litter not to mention loss of fruit by sampling. The best one happened today, three people come by and want to pick fruit. They are wearing overcoats or trench coats. We want to pick lychee. I could not contain myself. I said sorry we are not a u-pick. The one guy gets upset that I would not let them on the property. So I asked him what he did for a living. He says he owns a Chinese buffet. I said great let me come by, sample all your food and walk in your kitchen and cook myself something and then I will let you know if I want to buy something. He was not happy that I wouldn't let him pick fruit to sample so he could decide if he wanted to buy anything. Now mind you there are a couple of hundred pounds of fresh picked fruit ready for the weekend sale! Sheeeesh. Buy a tree and grow your own bro! I just thought this was classic. Especially the coats in 90+ degree weather. Did I mention the turnip truck I just fell off of? Lol.

HAHAHAHA. Too funny! You could make a comedy skit out of that one. I really liked your response. I thought it very diplomatic. But don't you live in "Stand your Own Ground" Florida. I would have pulled out my assault rifle, and told them "Make my day". I love doing John Wayne impersonations.
Oscar

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »
That's funny Oscar, they weren't nasty just kind of stupid considering it was 95 degrees out and wearing coats. Duh! Besides if I ever have to pull a weapon u can be dam sure it is time to use it. Good entertainment though. Been laughing about it all day!

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
The trick is not to ask Mike. I just send him off to look for some obscure fruit tree whilst I rummage through his trees and stuff my pockets full of mangoes. Shhhh... don't tell him. Our secret.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
That's funny Oscar, they weren't nasty just kind of stupid considering it was 95 degrees out and wearing coats. Duh! Besides if I ever have to pull a weapon u can be dam sure it is time to use it. Good entertainment though. Been laughing about it all day!

Since they were already wearing trench coats you could have used your paint gun instead.  ;)
Anyway, thanks for posting funny stories Mike. I can always use a good laugh.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:05:50 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
Hold on Dr Jones.... I am only interested in lychees on the tree.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
I don't do u pick for basically the reasons outlined above. For some reason I rarely receive requests for it anymore though

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
Hi Mr. Mike. Nice orchard you have here. We are exclusive sales agents for your lychee and mango franchise this year. Capische?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:18:16 AM by zands »

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
I have had at least 4 or 5 calls a day for weeks. Squam you are lucky!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:25:07 PM by BENDERSGROVE »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »
What are your u-pick hours this weekend, Mr. Bender?  Are you open on Memorial Day for extra help yourself time alone in the grove?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
What are your u-pick hours this weekend, Mr. Bender?  Are you open on Memorial Day for extra help yourself time alone in the grove?
Too funny Harry. I plan to spend Monday in the pool all day and the beer cooler will be right next to me! Guess it will rain Monday! Lol

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
The trick is not to ask Mike. I just send him off to look for some obscure fruit tree whilst I rummage through his trees and stuff my pockets full of mangoes. Shhhh... don't tell him. Our secret.

;D :o ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
People here never ask about u-pick. They just come on in and help themselves. HAHAHA
My personal favorites are the people that phone me on Sundays and want to know if they can come over? If the nursery is open? There is not a single nursery open here on Sundays. Almost all businesses are closed. Only Wal Mart and 7 eleven are open. Not sure what they have in their heads?
Then ofcourse  there are what i call the Lookie Lous. They want to come over, ask a 1000 questions, look at everything, have me give them a free tour, maybe have a picnic, and buy absolutely nothing. Better if they can do it on their day off, Sunday. I soon got wise to that. Now it's your only allowed in if you're picking up a plant, seeds, posters, etc. No free tours. I make very rare, and rarer exceptions, as time goes on. Otherwise i don't get any of my work done.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:20:55 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
-
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:30:36 PM by Ansarac »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
Too funny Harry. I plan to spend Monday in the pool all day and the beer cooler will be right next to me! Guess it will rain Monday! Lol

So you are leaving people no choice but to come by for a u pick day on Monday?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk