Author Topic: Best winter fruit in South FL?  (Read 2830 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Best winter fruit in South FL?
« on: November 14, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
What are the best winter fruit (excluding avocados) for September - March?  I'm planning on adding 2 trees to get through the off season.  Right now my top choices are Ross Sapote & Sapodilla (variety TBD) but I have not yet tried Loquat, Atemoya, Rollinia Soursop, or White Sapote.  Starfruit, Jaboticaba, and Black Sapote I've already tried and like them but not enough to have in my yard.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best winter fruit in South FL?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »
There are some mamey sapote that will give fruit in Sept. and October.   Green sapote and custard apple are off season and should work for you in Miami (go to Lara's in Homestead for both).  Sapodilla is a good choice but you need to select the right varieties for off season.

I would eliminate loquat, white sapote and black sapote.  I suggest tadting a ross sapote or canistel to see if you like them before planting.  Starfruit are ok but not must haves if you are limited unless you love them (they also produce a simmer crop).  If you go with a red jabo, you may be able to tuck it in and have room for 3 trees.
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »
Rainforest plum is producing for me now. Persimmon is a good choice but need to find florida compatible selection. Select varities of soursop setting ripe fruit now, its usually a smaller second late fall to winter crop.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  I have tried Ross Sapote and I like it a lot so it's definitely one on my list.  Custard apple I am definitely planting too, I just need to try San Pablo and Fernandez to decide which one to plant (I wasn't considering Custard apple off-season).  For Mamey it is also one that I don't like enough to plant in my yard.  Is Green Sapote better than Mamey?  Also which Sapodilla do you recommend for off-season?  Based on the PIN variety viewer it seems like Alano, Hasya, Molix, Morena, and Tikal are best for off-season.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »
Have you tasted sapodilla?  Some folks don't like it because it's pure sweetness without any acid balance, and it isn't juicy.  I really like the flavor, but my wife doesn't feel the same.  (It is a strikingly beautiful tree.)
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
Yes, I've tried sapodillas and I like them.  However the growers I purchased from didn't know the variety so I've lined up 2 growers that have the varieties I'm interested in.  Of course they are not as good as mangoes, lychees, jackfruit and custard apples but I want some fruit to get through the winter.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:44:58 PM »
Yes, I've tried sapodillas and I like them.  However the growers I purchased from didn't know the variety so I've lined up 2 growers that have the varieties I'm interested in.  Of course they are not as good as mangoes, lychees, jackfruit and custard apples but I want some fruit to get through the winter.

I properly picked sapodilla (which most dont do) is a fantastic fruit.

Dont go by the PIN viewer.  Its marketing garbage.  Alano can start ripening as early as February but March is more realistic and will go into early summer.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
Ok so I should focus on Hasya, Molix, Morena and Tikal as off-season varieties?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 11:06:24 PM »
Year by year my Alano tree was ripening fruit earlier so I'd say eventually it becomes a winter-ripening tree as it approaches maturity.
John

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:05 AM »
My Thai Giant jujube trees produce very well in December. Very rugged tree. You can't seem to kill 'em.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Best winter fruit in South FL?,
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:38:03 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »
Not sure about ripening time, but you may want to take a look at butterscotch sapodilla.

Another vote for jujube.

Passionfruit can produce year round in SoFL.

And +1 for consideration of the garcinias!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »
Ok so I should focus on Hasya, Molix, Morena and Tikal as off-season varieties?

From what I have seen in my yard, Morena and Tikal are more productive than the other two varieties. I yanked a Hasya after 7 years and just 4 fruit.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
I vote starapple, custard apple and passion fruit.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
My vote is for the sapodilla variety Excalibur.

I picked the first fruit of the season last week and it should continue for the next few months.

It appears to set fruit heavily without cross pollination unlike Hasya which barely sets fruit if it’s an isolated tree.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:58:39 PM by murahilin »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 01:04:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for the replies and for the comments about Sapodilla production by variety.  I will definitely take this into consideration.  For the garcinias, is this similar to mangosteen?  I've never heard about this being grown in Miami or tasted it or seen it sold, ever.  Where can you taste the fruit or buy the trees?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
There are fruiting garcinias (achachairus, lemon drop mangosteens, and others) at F & S park. I know of a couple forum members in South florida with fruiting achachairu trees. I hope to be one soon but I probably have another 2 - 3 years.  Lemon drop mangosteen should be relatively easy to get a some fruit to try. Achachairu will taste similar but much sweeter and much bigger. The top tier garcinias require patience.  From seed achachairus, Luc's, chairicuela, and madrunos take 8+ years from seed to fruit in South Florida. You might get lucky and get some fruit sooner but it will be inconsistent and small quantities. Pine Island Nursery and some of the other nurseries that specialize in fruit trees may have garcinias for sale. Forum members often plant more seeds than they want to grow and will sell extras. The good news is you can plant them in shady spots.
Brandon

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »
Meyers lemon Pink Barbie guava June plum

Today's Harvest
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »
something's off with those June plums

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
something's off with those June plums
June plums got Juiced before I could get a photo :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me when Achacha's season is in South FL?  It was listed here as a winter fruit, but I was given the fruit during the summer (not sure if it was imported).  I currently have a seed sprouting and I'm deciding if I should keep it for my yard.  Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk