Author Topic: Salt tolerant fruit trees  (Read 14091 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Salt tolerant fruit trees
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
Just wondering if there are any fruit trees that are completely tolerant of salt? In other words, they would be planted in straight beach sand. With a high water table subject to flooding. I found a list by UF but was wondering if anyone has tried planting where high tides and storm surges could immerse the plant for a short time with salt water. Please let me know your experiences. I'm not interested in coconut palm. Here is the best list I could find but not exactly sure what defines 'tolerant' in terms of salt.

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Salt_tolerance_of_different_fruiting_trees.pdf

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Salt tolerant fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Sapodilla is tolerant of salt water.   

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
I'm asking this because I would be doing some guerrilla planting on some 'islands' in the intracostal waterway around here. I kayak around the islands a lot and was wondering what fruit trees could actually survive these conditions. I know some people on the forum that live in the keys would probably have the best experience but still these islands are small so flooding would be a big issue too.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
Prickly Pear is an easy option, good chance of survival (you want a good selection worthy of making the trip out to pick them).

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2012/120118.htm

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:45:16 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »
Prickly Pear is an easy option, good chance of survival (you want a good selection worthy of making the trip out to pick them).

Thanks for the link. It seems the Chile variety has the most salt tolerance. Are there specific cultivars from chile that you are aware of? There is nothing specific I could find as to cultivar names or even where to locate this specific regional variety.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

Thanks for the link. It seems the Chile variety has the most salt tolerance. Are there specific cultivars from chile that you are aware of? There is nothing specific I could find as to cultivar names or even where to locate this specific regional variety.

I actually may have some PARL selections that originated from Chile, I would have to see if I got extra pads.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
mimusops commersonii....but it's not a great fruit...

of course cashew....imbe...

also think Carissa would work (natal plum)?

probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
I see a lot of sapodilla in the Keys.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
Mango, 13-1 variety (israel)
Mike

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Omani Mango, Date palm , Manilla Tamarind, Indian Almond and maybe Icaco. Al these plants can handle salty water from the well.
Moh'd

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »
I will definitely try sapodilla, and some opuntia varieties. What's up with the 13-1 and Omani mango? Would I need to find a seed from this to obtain the salt tolerance?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
It'd be cool to see huge ox or gigantia fruit on a random island while kayaking one day.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
I will definitely try sapodilla, and some opuntia varieties. What's up with the 13-1 and Omani mango? Would I need to find a seed from this to obtain the salt tolerance?
13-1 Mango is used in Israel as rootstock because of irrigation water. It is polyembryonic (true to type) so you can grow it from seeds. I do not know how the fruit taste. I had one tree 2 years in a pot and this season planted in the ground
Mike

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »
I saw the seashore mangosteens growing all over the beach in Thailand and they had flowers as well.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
Sapodilla is tolerant of salt water.

This I did not know.  Living in a country where the furthest one can get from the ocean is 1 mile, this and the other items are good to know about...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »
mimusops commersonii....but it's not a great fruit...

of course cashew....imbe...

also think Carissa would work (natal plum)?

probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

The link says cashew is poor?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
Interesting that banana is listed as poor yet for centuries it is known here in Bermuda to get a banana to produce, lay seaweed around it.  (slow release but highly concentrated ocean water minerals).

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
Interesting that banana is listed as poor yet for centuries it is known here in Bermuda to get a banana to produce, lay seaweed around it.  (slow release but highly concentrated ocean water minerals).
Yes, I've seen bananas growing just off high tide marks also. Maybe a particular variety is more tolerant?

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
I don't think any of these plants can literally be flooded with saltwater and survive. The only plant I can think of that could survive that is mangrove.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
I don't think any of these plants can literally be flooded with saltwater and survive. The only plant I can think of that could survive that is mangrove.

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/48090/PDF

This link details rootstocks for sapodilla and jujube to make them halophytic and also a few fruit trees - seagrapes (which grow wild in Bermuda, how could I forget), desert quadong and two salvadora shrubs - that are in their own right.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Tamarind is a good choice.  Salt and drought tolerant.

Just wondering if there are any fruit trees that are completely tolerant of salt? In other words, they would be planted in straight beach sand. With a high water table subject to flooding. I found a list by UF but was wondering if anyone has tried planting where high tides and storm surges could immerse the plant for a short time with salt water. Please let me know your experiences. I'm not interested in coconut palm. Here is the best list I could find but not exactly sure what defines 'tolerant' in terms of salt.

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Salt_tolerance_of_different_fruiting_trees.pdf

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
agreed.  Then you can kayak to get the tamarind without the sticky annoyance of stepping on the fruit that drops in your driveway and yard.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »

I have read a few things that dispute Tamarind being tolerant of salt.   

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »

I have read a few things that dispute Tamarind being tolerant of salt.   

I know from personal experience that tamarind will grow and  fruit on a small limestone Caribbean island with salt laden wind and a high water table where salt was produced for almost three hundred years.  Yup, indisputably highly salt tolerant.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 01:15:21 AM »

I've only seen coconut survive here in ocean water flooded areas. I think date palm would also survive. How long they are flooded would be the key. A plant can be very salt tolerant yet not be able to have its roots be underwater for long.
What about pond apple? Will it survive flooding by brackish waters? I'm guessing so.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk