Author Topic: All My In Ground Trees Are 2 Months Early  (Read 1595 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
All My In Ground Trees Are 2 Months Early
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
My Cara Cara, Dekopon, Ponkan, Marsh Grapefruit, Valentine Pummelo and Bittersweet Orange are all in full flush and bloom.  Normally my in ground trees flush/bloom around January 10 +-.   The flushes are not small flushes, but a full general flush over the entire tree's surface. As soon as all the flowering is complete, the trees will receive a foliar spray of low biuret urea, to reduce any post bloom fruit drop.  Then during the fruit cell expansion period another low biuret urea spray to increase fruit's size.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: All My In Ground Trees Are 2 Months Early
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:49:17 PM »
Millet, That sounds like my in ground New Zealand Lemonade tree.  It is in full flush and bloom, and it is supposed to get down below 30f for the next few nights.

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »
I just picked a couple fruit off my New Zealand Lemonade tree.   This season I picked some NZL fruit like one would pick a Lime, that is green with some yellow showing.  I also picked some fully yellow.  Still good, but not as sweet.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
 Which ones taste the best? Full yellow or partial green?

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
Partial green NZL are the best in my opinion.(like limes are picked).

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:01:12 AM »
Should I go ahead and pull off the bloom buds as they form from my NZL or just let the cold get them?  It still has many pretty red flushes going also.  I don't fertilize after July, but the trees still flush until the cold burns them off.  We had 30°f one night last week, after predicted 37°f.  Neither the blooms nor flushes seemed phased by it. I did not cover that night, because they had predicted 37°f.  I saw no damage to any of the citrus flushes including fingerlime, but my moringa and bananas sure didn't like it.

TFN

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
I have a lemonade tree here in Perth......semi dwarf.
I have been foliar feeding every two weeks with something called eco vital.....its basically a blend of seaweed and fish emulsion(after flowering).......ive been getting really good results with that......i let my lemonade go yellow like a normal lemon and then squeeze the juice and make lemonade out of it......very nice.....i also made ice blocks out of the juice for later on.....i tend to thin out my flowers on all my trees.
          I have also found that out of all my different ferts i have tried with citrus........citrus responds best to urea for its nitrogen source....they just go for it with half strength liquid feed with urea at its source for nitrogen........just something i am finding.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
Thanks, Millet, that is what I thought you meant by your previous post, but was not certain.

Laidbackdood, this is the first year I will be using Urea.  I will be following Millet's fert schedule.  Most of my trees are coming to bearing age, and some will be a year or two more.

TFNl