Author Topic: Which Avocado next:  (Read 3243 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Which Avocado next:
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
Which avocado should I get next? I have room for two trees. They will stay in pot until next season as I am going to start prepping the corner of my yard with wood chips.
I need a tree that can stay fairly small, and is fairly cold tolerant. I'm in 9b.
I currently have a hass. My local home depot has Bacon, holiday, lamb hass, mexicola, stewart. This is the largest selection I've seen in my area, should I try and order a grafted plant from a forum member or go forward with one of these?

When is the best season to plant them? Should I plant after night time temps are 40ish after last frost in the spring to give them time to mature before next winter?

Thanks,
-Kris

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Which Avocado next:
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:20:29 PM »
Yeah this

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
The Atemoya? I'm going to be growing some...soon
-Kris

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
How does one source the “yeah this”?

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 09:38:02 PM »
How does one source the “yeah this”?
I looked for one today and couldn't find 'yeah this' variety. Instead I picked up a holiday and stewart. Hooray, I repotted them to more permanent pots and better drainage and... root rot. Yeah! Northern California nursery's water everything....everyday....
-Kris

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »
I would've recommended Reed

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
I would've recommended Reed

agreed, Reed is nice compact and top notch cado!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
I doubt Zephian is going to return the Holiday and Stewart Tree's to go with your recomendations that were posted after the new Avocado tree's were purchased and brought home.
 Reed was not even a possibility as it was not included in the list of cultivar's available to Zephian. ( Bacon, holiday, lamb hass, mexicola, stewart)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
Why not just buy them all?
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
Why not just buy them all?
My lot is under 1/4 acre, or I would happily buy them all and more! My wife eats avocados like candy.
I'm not against returning these trees if a better option presents itself to me.
I haven't been able to find a reed nearby. If someone had one already grafted I'd be happy to purchase, but I'm not quite ready to attempt grafting yet. I believe stewart is very cold hardy, maybe some day I'll be comfortable enough to graft something else on to it? I'm going to attempt some grafting on some mango seedlings once they are large enough (I have about 15 in 1 gallon pots) I hope to someday be able to afford 5+ acres but a bit out of my price range currently. For now I'm happy enough to own a house at 26 :)

The holiday and stewart I picked up weren't all that impressive and hopefully they come through. Home depot only has a 90 day return policy where as my local nursery will accept them for a whole year.
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
I was just kidding around...  Stewart and holiday are good trees they both kind of small and slow growing. 

I have a bunch of rootstocks in small pots I wanted to graft up to sell to forum members.  The problem is they dont get large in thr smaller containers so I may have to scratch that idea.

If you want to graft some trees just start saving the seeds and put them in 5gal pots.  In a few months you can graft them up and make new trees. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
I was just kidding around...  Stewart and holiday are good trees they both kind of small and slow growing. 

I have a bunch of rootstocks in small pots I wanted to graft up to sell to forum members.  The problem is they dont get large in thr smaller containers so I may have to scratch that idea.

If you want to graft some trees just start saving the seeds and put them in 5gal pots.  In a few months you can graft them up and make new trees.
I may try that.Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations on a root stock I should try? I mainly see Hass but whole foods carries reed occasionally but man they are pricey.
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
I havent noticed much difference in vigor among rootstocks.  Some people say use mexican avocados for cold tolerance but I am not really seeing how a rootstock thats grafted at ground level is going to impart cold tolerance on the tree.  Maybe someone knows.  For backyard growing, just use whatever is available.  Ive got a bunch of trees on random rootstocks that seem to be growing just fine.
Brad Spaugh

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
Sharwil is another good one.  If you like ginormous avocadoes, look into Queen

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Brad, up here in Nipomo we have experienced 22 degrees.  More importantly is the 25 degrees that lasts for 8 hours.  I use Mexican avocados for rootstock, not because they impart hardiness to the grafted avocado, but the extreme cold (at ground level in our dune sand soil-an insulator) simply cuts the rootstock off if it can't handle it.  Hass in Nipomo is risky as a rootstock.  I tend to graft scionwood up high on the rootstock for the same reason.  The dryer the sand soil is, the less effect the relative warmth of the earth helps.  The past few years it has been dry and drip irrigation doesn't help soil heat radiation.  Nevertheless, as avocados and other sensitive plants get bigger their ability to withstand hard freezes improves.  The aforementioned is also true here for cherimoya, macadamia, and other so-called rare fruits.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Hi jack

How did the oro negro graft go?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
Khaled...sadly two days of very unusual 108 degree heat took them out (and a bunch of others too).  There's always next year!

Jack

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 12:13:00 AM »
Now home depot has Fuerte and Pinkerton. Iv'e never seen these up here! lol.
-Kris