Author Topic: When to harvest mangos?  (Read 4966 times)

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
When to harvest mangos?
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
Red blush spreading on several Cogshall; one small Mallika going yellow around the beak, but bigger ones still green.
If one is ready to be harvested, does that mean all are ready? Harvest all Cogshalls and Mallikas now? Or wait for the remaining Cogshalls to get the blush, and the Mallikas to show some yellow?

One of the Mallikas, weighs 20 oz:

And the Cogshall, 10 oz:

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: When to harvest mangos?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
My rule of thumb is to await the first animal eating of a fruit or the first drop of a ripe fruit from the tree naturally.  After either of these events, it is pretty certain that you can harvest all like sized fruits on the tree and they will be mature.  If you don't wait for these things to happen, you can do a trial and error picking and ripening.  Its a hot or miss process depending upon the variety and actual maturity of the fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
My rule of thumb is to await the first animal eating of a fruit or the first drop of a ripe fruit from the tree naturally.  After either of these events, it is pretty certain that you can harvest all like sized fruits on the tree and they will be mature.  If you don't wait for these things to happen, you can do a trial and error picking and ripening.  Its a hot or miss process depending upon the variety and actual maturity of the fruit.

the animals have been eating immature fruits for weeks here!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Not sure about your animals or what animals you are referring to, or to which specific fruits you are referring.  However, at my house, the animals do not eat immature fruits.  Maybe I have a more selective group of fauna?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Agreed, squirrels (in my yard) will take the fruit about two weeks before ready to be picked. That is a good sign to keep an eye on them.

Also, I shake a limb and see if they fall naturally. Another thing I do is handle the fruit and slowly turn it 90 degrees.  I don't force it to come off but just angle it to put pressure on the stem/fruit connection.  If it is ready it will pop off the stem by itself.

I also think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I can judge by the color of the sap that comes out after picking.  Clear and it is ready. White and not. 

Having a color blush is also an indication.   It is an inexact science though.  Trial and error.     Good luck!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
The Cogshall needs more time.  The haze needs to fade away and those colors need to brighten up.

The Mallika probably does also need more time just based on it being early June.   With the Mallika, the best way is to put in the camel dung for 10 - 14 days and see how it goes.  Oh wait, you probably don't have access to that.  Let it sit on the porch and see how it goes.  If it were me. I would leave them on the tree till i saw them get the slightest hint of yellow.  Then begin to harvest.   Do not just mass harvest.  They will not all be totally ready all at once.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
As for sap color, not always correct.   Carrie and Pickering sap is naturally milky.  Bleeding of sap is usually an indication that it is truly not fully ripe or at its peak.   In general, the best results when picking is when it bleeds no sap.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
Thanks for clarification.  Would it be true that clear sap is closer to being ripe than white sap?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
When you get mango drops and animals eating fruits the tree is ready. Or ready within days. I agree w Harry on this. I really relax about mangoes being ready on a particular tree and don't look at it every day. Not until I get drops and animals eating

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »
The way I was taught to do it here from a local experienced farmer was to wait until at least one fruit on the tree is semi ripe. Meaning, the top portion to turn yellow, covering approximately 25% of the mango. Once a fruit has reached this stage, the remaining fruit from the tree is ready to be plucked.

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
Not sure about your animals or what animals you are referring to, or to which specific fruits you are referring.  However, at my house, the animals do not eat immature fruits.  Maybe I have a more selective group of fauna?

Squirrels!!    seen with mangos in mouth every day- they roll them away then eat them

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks for clarification.  Would it be true that clear sap is closer to being ripe than white sap?

Yes but it can also bleed clear sap and never ripen.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »

I have stupid animals that live in my backyard  ::)
They are idiots!!!!

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks, folks.

Good tips, Harry and Rob. Will let (most of) the fruit stay on the Cogshall and Mallika for a few more days. Took a couple off, will see if they ripen well. Like you say, trial and error.

Have to get the fruits off the Graham, though - squirrels/rats got a couple, and I held back thinking a Graham shouldn't be getting ripe so early.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
Thanks, folks.

Good tips, Harry and Rob. Will let (most of) the fruit stay on the Cogshall and Mallika for a few more days. Took a couple off, will see if they ripen well. Like you say, trial and error.

Have to get the fruits off the Graham, though - squirrels/rats got a couple, and I held back thinking a Graham shouldn't be getting ripe so early.

From what I can see, those mangoes need to stay on much longer than a few more days.  I know t sucks fighting off the critters but it is part of the game.  Picking fruit too early is really no different than losing it to squirrels.  Unfortunately, many pick their fruit too early and then eat it and have comments about its taste/quality that is not accurate cause they are in reality eating it when it is at a stage that is nowhere near ready.
- Rob

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
I picked some Malikas at Laras totally green mid last week.  Julian said they were ready to pick.  Now they are perfect for eating.  Had one yesterday and today for breakfast. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
I picked some Malikas at Laras totally green mid last week.  Julian said they were ready to pick.  Now they are perfect for eating.  Had one yesterday and today for breakfast.

With mangoes that you pick green and ripen off the tree, it is about size of the fruit generally.  Once you gain some experience with how large the fruit gets when it matures, your picking will be more well timed.  Remember size is a matter of several dimensions.  It is not only a  width and length consideration, but how much the mango has filled out in girth as well.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »

With mangoes that you pick green and ripen off the tree, it is about size of the fruit generally.  Once you gain some experience with how large the fruit gets when it matures, your picking will be more well timed.  Remember size is a matter of several dimensions.  It is not only a  width and length consideration, but how much the mango has filled out in girth as well.

To add to Harry's comment, the key is the shoulders with respect to being filled out.  Its tough to explain,  you will learn best by experience.
- Rob

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk