Author Topic: Mango Tasting 6/5/2015  (Read 8322 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Mango Tasting 6/5/2015
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

Very interesting day of mango eating.  Today, there was no clear winner. Surprisingly, Van Dyke held its own among perennial top mangoes, Edward and Dot.  Cushman was off today......a bit overripe. Cushman and Thai Everbearing brought up the rear. There was a split among the first place votes.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tasting 6/5/2015
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
That is a fine looking tray of refreshment.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 11:17:15 PM »
Was that an approved Florida Bar tasting?
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »
Was that an approved Florida Bar tasting?

I did apply for provisional CMEE (Continuing mango eating education) authorization and credit, but no word from the Bar as of yet.

May I take this opportunity to let forum members know that this smallish mango tasting goes on virtually daily during the work week at my office in Pembroke Pines in the afternoons during mango season.  If anyone is in the area or plans to be in the area and wants to partake, there is an open door (and open mouth) policy.  Call my office to confirm your spot at the tasting table.  The number is (954) 961-6767. There is no cost or obligation....other than to enjoy the mangoes and express your taste preferences in colorful and vivid language so that I can report the results to the forum.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
Save me a seat!!! Will call you this week to arrange for a seat! Thanks for this opportunity to taste some different mangoes.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
What time does the round table usually convene?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
We're flexible generally. Sometime between 2 and 3:30 or so.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
Best to give me a heads up the day before or, latest, early morning the day of by PM here on the forum so I can be sure to make the tasting as varied as possible.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
Gorgeous looking mangoes and thank you for a kind invitation. Can you please make sure mandatory box of cheez-it is there, otherwise I refuse to come. :P

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
We always have a palate cleanser available.  It might not always be  Cheeze its, but  whatever it is, it will have enough salt in it to allow for continued mango flavor sensitivity.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »
Harry did you ever taste that seedlings go I gave you to try? Just curious your thoughts.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »
Harry did you ever taste that seedlings go I gave you to try? Just curious your thoughts.

I did.  Sorry forgot to report on it.  I believe pretty strongly that it is a Haden seedling.  The fruit does have some fiber but is pleasant tasting.  I would classify it as a good workhorse mango by production, disease resistance, etc.  On a table of top mangoes, it will not crack the top tier. I would rate the eating quality as Good, on the scale of Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor.  Thanks for allowing me to try it.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »
Thanks Harry
I might join you Monday if you don't mind. 
If you can tell the proximity of your office to boynton beach?
I've had so many varieties in the last 10 day I lost track
Here are some of the one I'm waiting to ripen

You are certainly welcome to stop by.  Boynton Beach is in Palm beach County and my office is in SW Broward County.  I would estimate at least a 40 minute drive south and west to get from where you are to my office.  Here's the address so that you can do your own google mapping.  235 North University Drive, Pembroke Pines, FL 33024.  We in the shopping center on the northeast corner of Pines Blvd and University Drive.

Thanks I would love to make it but I'm sorta press for time 2pm is probably too late.....I will call if I can squeeze it in
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:04:30 AM by JF »

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
No problem thanks for the review. I thinK  the tree is worth propagating. The production alone is top tier. Taste wise it reminds me of a sweet Haden without the black spots. I never trust my taste buds. The customers seem to really like it. We however are way too picky! Lol. That's what we get for drowning in the very best of mangoes. Thanks again Harry. Much appreciated.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
ooops, I think I unwittingly used my mod powers and edited JF's post attempting to respond to it.  Sorry, JF.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
No problem thanks for the review. I thinK  the tree is worth propagating. The production alone is top tier. Taste wise it reminds me of a sweet Haden without the black spots. I never trust my taste buds. The customers seem to really like it. We however are way too picky! Lol. That's what we get for drowning in the very best of mangoes. Thanks again Harry. Much appreciated.

Definitely reminiscent of Haden in flavor......which is not  bad thing.  And most assuredly much better at resisting anthracnose than haden
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

You think?  I don't know why ever you might think this.   ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
Maybe a brain fart! Too many days watching it rain everywhere but here!

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
Harry, can we bring fruit to the tasting table?  I'm sure i dont have anything different, I'm just curious how fruits grown along the coast in Martin County compare to those grown in western Broward.
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
Harry, can we bring fruit to the tasting table?  I'm sure i dont have anything different, I'm just curious how fruits grown along the coast in Martin County compare to those grown in western Broward.

Are you seriously asking if you can bring more fruit to the table?  LOL.......you know it is a more the merrier rule.  Bring it on!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »
Jackfruit ok? I have access to an unknown variety of jackfruit tree, have taken 2 to Brandon to try and shed some light on the variety but have not gotten it there in peak ripeness yet. First was under second was over.  Hoping the third one is just right.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
Jackfruit ok? I have access to an unknown variety of jackfruit tree, have taken 2 to Brandon to try and shed some light on the variety but have not gotten it there in peak ripeness yet. First was under second was over.  Hoping the third one is just right.

I do not discriminate between fruits.  Well maybe between fruits of the same type.....to see which is better, but I am an equal opportunity fruit collector/consumer.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:30 PM »

I do not discriminate between fruits.  Well maybe between fruits of the same type.....to see which is better, but I am an equal opportunity fruit collector/consumer.

LOL Ok will check my friends tree before contacting you and see if I can bring one.  Saw you posted your office.  VERY close to me.  Where exactly? By the Outback? Pho 68?  BBQ joint?  To think I have probably passed your office so many times and never smelled mangoes lol

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
We always have a palate cleanser available.  It might not always be  Cheeze its, but  whatever it is, it will have enough salt in it to allow for continued mango flavor sensitivity.

Obviously I was joking.
Actually, I found the opposite. Snacking on salty crackers between different mangoes took away from sense sensation fiesta, and introduced mundane interference, so I won't do it again. Whatever works for every individual. :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
Saw you posted your office.  VERY close to me.  Where exactly? By the Outback? Pho 68?  BBQ joint?  To think I have probably passed your office so many times and never smelled mangoes lol

Yes, we are in the same shopping center as Scruby's barbeque.  If you were standing at their door, you would look to your right down the breezeway and there we will be.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA