Author Topic: Pitayas de Zacatecas, finally got to taste fresh fruit!  (Read 4437 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Pitayas de Zacatecas, finally got to taste fresh fruit!
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:08 AM »
I went fruit hunting in Zacatecas during peak pitaya season. Here are pictures of the surrounding areas of southern Zacatecas (Jalpa, Juchipila, Santa Rosa, and the pitayas from the surrounding areas).

The growing area is mainly a zone 9B to 10A, light frosts can occur in the area (I believe these are strains of Stenocereus queretaroensis). I am told that the Zacatecas pitayas are tastier fruit strains then the surrounding states (I can't vouch on that statement, can be based on pride in the region).

The fruit is mainly sweet with a texture similar to a premium perfectly ripe dark fig. The flavor surpasses dragon fruit in sweetness and flavor. Certain selections can have a slightly acidic component to them. The color flesh range is Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, White, and Lavender (rarer strain type). The size varies depending on growing conditions and strain, the premium cultivated selections can get as big as a duck eggs with most averaging sizes around medium to large chicken eggs.

Climate is semi arid tropical and subtropical. Season starts in May last till June. Excessive rain can sour the crop and cause crop failure from what the locals have said. Prime locations would be  zone +9A Southern California, Southern Arizona, Las Vegas, NV, Southern zone +9A Texas. The cacti may work as well in parts in Florida if its in a well drained full sun area, if the dry season last until late May. There is also the possibility of exploring different seedling variations that may fruit earlier or resist excess moisture issues related to fruit quality.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:23:31 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Pitayas de Zacatecas, finally got to taste fresh fruit!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »
I've been doing a lot of research into cacti fruit species recently, and S. queretaroensis is definitely up there.  Thanks for the extra datapoint on its flavour. This definitely seems to be a well-appreciated cactus species.  Productivity commonly peaks 20t/ha, which for comparison is better than all annonas I've seen except atemoya, and triple that of mangosteen (although still a far cry from common "garden" staples like tomatoes, cucumbers, etc, which are dozens of t/ha in the field and hundreds in the greenhouse). The fact  that S. queretaroensis achieves this areas of low rainfall / low fertility makes that impressive; there's not many crops that will grow there without significant help**, and I bet that you could get even higher rates with irrigation and fertilizer.  The main downside is that it doesn't produce at those levels until 40 years of age.  Production supposedly steadily ramps up to 16t/ha in the first 20 years (yields are considered commercially viable after 10), then slows down its increase, and after 40 years starts its decline (but 100 year-old plants can still produce).  Given the poor growing conditions they're usually grown in, I'd imagine that proper irrigation and fertilizer application could speed this up somewhat. That said "some" fruiting can start as soon as the first year of planting cuttings that had been previously fruiting from an existing plant.  Planting a stenocereus is an investment in the future.

** There are, of course, higher yielding cacti out there. Opuntias for example can be up to 50t/ha with irrigation and fertilizer!  But while they taste good, they also have despised glochids, and the seeds are a pain.  Dragonfruit obviously is also a good producer (~50t/ha) when it receives proper irrigation and nutrition.  But as far as cactus grown in desert environments go, and particularly as far as columnars go, S. queretaroensis isn't bad at all. Just slow to reach full production.

Note that the area they're used to doesn't get frosts very often, and never gets hard frosts. Also, while they average 700mm a year (27"), it's mostly in the summer, not the winter like SoCal. They can still grow with less water than that and are considered very drought tolerant.  So someone in SoCal could give them summer irrigation when water supplies aren't restricted, but they wouldn't die in years where there's a watering ban.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:21:09 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »
Yes the rain season is primary in the summer. The primary growing regions in Zacatecas are zone 10a and 10b. I talk to locals and they informed me that light brief frosts are not uncommon in the area.

I feel that if the roots were kept dry in the winter and the plants were in a micro climate zone 9b should not be an issue and zone 9a may be possible with protection and micro climate.

I saw 4ft single column cuttings holding fruits. I did not go to the prime growing fields but did see some wild plants growing.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Speaking of Dragon Fruit, these look like they would be interesting to try and cross-breed into the pitahaya strain to try and keep some of the flavor of these fruit, but in a dragon fruit size.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
Looks wonderful.  Did you manage to get any cuttings of good varieties?  Or are there sources of cuttings / rooted plants of good types?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Nice report Stephen, don't the fruit skin's have small spines on them an how do native people deal with them? Thanks for pic's 8)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
I have no cuttings, not allowed due to restrictions. I do have seeds and seedlings. I have collected seeds from the larger tastier fruits.  The seedlings I have are from pitaya de jalisco strains from Raul seeds.

There are small spines on the fruit which are easily removed when the fruit is ripe.  The fruit is taken off the cacti with a pole with a cage.  The spine removing procedure can be seen on some youtube video.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:42:38 PM by nullzero »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Please put me on your wait list if you’re able to get cuttings or seeds! The fruit look super delicious, how do the plants look?

Simon

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
Please put me on your wait list if you’re able to get cuttings or seeds! The fruit look super delicious, how do the plants look?

Simon

When mature? 

When relatively young, and well cared for?

Flowers:

Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
This kind of plant will grow without any care in inland southern CA.  Maybe a few waterings during summer and anual fertilizer and it will grow really fast.  We dont ever have watering bans either Karen.  They just dont want people watering their grass everyday when theres a drought. 

Hard to believe people even have lawns here to be honest.  Even in Arizona people grow grass and water it everyday to keep it green.  Its really makes no sense. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Karen! Wow, they get pretty big. I see a lot of potential for this fruit crop on sides of hills and other dry areas that normally wouldn’t be farmed.

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
I have no cuttings, not allowed due to restrictions. I do have seeds and seedlings. I have collected seeds from the larger tastier fruits.  The seedlings I have are from pitaya de jalisco strains from Raul seeds.

There are small spines on the fruit which are easily removed when the fruit is ripe.  The fruit is taken off the cacti with a pole with a cage.  The spine removing procedure can be seen on some youtube video.

Someday I'd love to get some seedlings of this, if you do end up with some extras.  Looks like a nice fruit for SoCal.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
Looks like I have quite a long road to fruition! Another something to look forward too. :)
I wonder if grafting onto Nopales could speed up the process?
There must be a stand of these fruiting in CA somewhere, some Cacti collection.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
I have test grafted one to a pereskia sp.  Rootstock it does seem to speed up somewhat. The Stenocereus queretaroensis is already a pretty fast growing cacti though.  Push it along with plenty of sunlight, warm temps, and water with diluted fertilizer.

I intend to start germinating more seeds separated on color and larger fruit.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
This kind of plant will grow without any care in inland southern CA.  Maybe a few waterings during summer and anual fertilizer and it will grow really fast.  We dont ever have watering bans either Karen.  They just dont want people watering their grass everyday when theres a drought. 

Hard to believe people even have lawns here to be honest.  Even in Arizona people grow grass and water it everyday to keep it green.  Its really makes no sense.

I have relatives in California... and one of my cousins moved away because she was tired of being unable to grow common garden plants due to water restrictions during dry periods.  Lives in Ohio now and is loving it  ;)  Of course, no tropicals there...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:39:40 PM by KarenRei »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
I have test grafted one to a pereskia sp.  Rootstock it does seem to speed up somewhat. The Stenocereus queretaroensis is already a pretty fast growing cacti though.  Push it along with plenty of sunlight, warm temps, and water with diluted fertilizer.

When you say "fast growing" - can you quantify that in terms of height per year or some other metric?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »
I have to get my calpers out review the germination date. I can update later today.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
I still have quite a few plants from seeds you sent me :)
They were slow to start but once they got to a certain size growth has been fast. They more than doubled size in less than a year.

One thing though is mine especially on the new spined growth blush very red compared to the wild pics. I hope they fruit earlier than 10 years!!!

You can see them on the top and bottom left mostly

Currently pretty much a year later

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »
I hope this link leads you to several videos of a local harvest:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsDWAWU4a7nt9xO9De7aUAQ/search?query=pitayas

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
Nice pics! Great that you finally tasted them, they're quite tasty, in Milk shake are awesome, they are Stenocereus Queretaroensis, they grow in Queretaro and all the other surrounding states like Jalisco, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, Durango, etc
El verde es vida!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »

When you say "fast growing" - can you quantify that in terms of height per year or some other metric?

45mm height and 20mm diameter measured from inside fins on the larger ones of the batch from germination August 2017. I have not repot them in larger containers, they are in smaller cone tainers. I have noticed the seedlings started to gain mass more quickly around a year in age. Btw Karen, I noticed your cacti interest list on another forum. Add Escontria chiotilla, Gymnocalycium saglionis (I got seeds as well trying to germinate, I saw you mention it. I believe this one has potential). Skip Myrtillocactus geometrizans, there is better cacti with more potential.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:11:14 PM by nullzero »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
I am getting really impressive germination rates 2 days after planting some of the seeds. Probably around 30% germination within 2 days, not very common with other cacti seeds I have germinated (of course they are fresh seeds).