Author Topic: Myer lemon question  (Read 1518 times)

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
Myer lemon question
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Every year my lemon tree produces flowers and fruit until it gets cold here. After the first freeze it seems to calm down and just ripen the existing fruit that were produced earlier in the spring. Right now it has some small lemons that will fall off before spring. I guess what I am asking is do lemons produce year round in the tropics or in greenhouses?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Myer lemon question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »
No.  Even in the tropics citrus is a seasonal crop. It varies by variety though.  Calamondins and West Indian limes bear off and on all year, but most others are seasonal. 

I live in a tropical climate with a rainy and dry season.  My Meyer Lemon trees bloom after the first good rains following the dry (winter) season, and bear fruit in the middle and late rainy season, and into the next early dry season.  There are a few off-season fruit, but not many.

My guess is that the trees don't have enough energy to bear a heavy crop all year.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Myer lemon question
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
My small greenhouse grown Meyer has fully ripened fruit as of late.  It bears one crop a year, a very heavy one I might add.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk